Wednesday 26 September 2012 

Five County Players Pen New Deals

Five County Players Pen New Deals
Five County Players Pen New Deals
© REUTERS/Philip Brown. Picture Supplied by Action Images
 

Former England fast-bowler Chris Tremlett has signed a new one-year contract with Surrey, despite missing most of the 2012 season first with a back problem and then with a knee injury.

Tremlett last played for England in January on their Test tour of the UAE, but was ruled out for the remainder of that series after being diagnosed with a bulging disc in his back. He had surgery to rectify the problem and returned to play for Surrey in June before tearing a cartilage in his knee which ruled him out for the rest of the season after playing only a handful of games.

Speaking to BBC London about his injury-hit season, he said, "It's been one of those years but I am trying to move on and take the positives. I've got the operations done and now I'm in a position to work hard on my rehabilitation. I feel in quite good shape even though I've had these problems. It's a case of getting strong, building for the winter and hopefully playing cricket at some point." 

In light of his injury problems, the 31 year-old did not have his central contract renewed by the ECB when the latest batch were announced earlier this month, and has since fallen behind the likes of Graham Onions and Steven Finn in the pecking order. Nonetheless, he remains hopeful of playing for England again in the future. 

"I'm frustrated to lose my central contract but it almost gives me an incentive to try and win that back. It's a case of getting myself fit and doing my training," Tremlett said. 

"At the forefront of my mind will be taking wickets for Surrey and hopefully the England stuff will come from there. If it doesn't, I'm delighted just to be playing cricket."

Tremlett joins Kevin Pietersen on the list of Surrey players to have lost their central contracts - a fact which will hardly help the club in their bid to stay below the county salary cap. With that in mind, they have already released several players, including opener Tom Lancefield and all-rounder Matthew Spriegel, who signed for Northamptonshire, since the end of the season. 

 


Worcestershire have confirmed that they will not be renewing the contract of wicket-keeper Ben Scott. The 31 year-old initially joined the club on-loan from Middlesex at the start of 2010 and signed a full contract for 2011. However, towards the end of last season he was replaced by upcoming Pears gloveman Ben Cox after managing just 228 runs in 13 Championship matches. Overall, Scott played 33 Championship matches for the club and averaged almost 24 in addition to providing a safe pair of hands behind the stumps. He is now expected to pursue a career away from cricket.

In brighter news for Worcestershire, young paceman Chris Russell, leg-spinner Brett D'Oliveira, and batsmen Neil Pinner and Matt Pardoe have all signed contract extensions. Slow left-arm spinner Shaaiq Choudhry is also believed to be close to agreeing a new deal.

 


According to BBC Leicester's Cricket Correspondent Charlie Dagnall, the club are in talks with Ireland and former Northamptonshire wicket-keeper Niall O'Brien. Leicestershire released their reserve 'keeper Paul Dixey at the end of last season and have said that they want to sign someone who will create competition for their regular wicket-keeper Ned Eckersley.

Dagnall said, "The sticking point may be what O'Brien wants in terms of wages and what Leicestershire can afford.

"It does not mean the end for current keeper Ned Eckersley, but they did want to create more competition. They said that at the end of the season and O'Brien coming in would do just that." 

© Cricket World 2012

 

 

 

 

Open an account with bet365 today and qualify for up to £200 in free bets with our fantastic 100% Deposit Bonus.