Tuesday 3 March 2009 

ICC And CA Express Sadness At Attack On Sri Lankans

International Cricket Council Haroon Lorgat issued a statement following the attack on Sri Lankan players, condemning the attack and confirming the cancellation of the series in Pakistan.

Five people were killed and seven players were injured in the attacks as the Sri Lankan team made its way to the Gaddafi stadium in Lahore.

"We note with dismay and regret the events of this morning in Lahore and we condemn this attack without reservation," Lorgat said.

"It is a source of great sadness that there have been a number of fatalities in this attack and it is also very upsetting for the wider cricket family that some of the Sri Lanka players and one match official have been injured in this attack. At this time our thoughts and prayers are with the injured people and also the families of those who have died.

"I have confirmed with both Member Boards that the remainder of the tour has been cancelled and we are working hard to get our match officials out of the area as safely and as quickly as possible. I know, also, that the Pakistan Cricket Board is working with Sri Lanka Cricket to make sure the players are flown home at the earliest opportunity."

Cricket Australia (CA) Chief Exective Peter Sutherland also expressed his shock at the attacks. Australia pulled out of a tour of Pakistan last year.

"Australian cricket has many friends in Sri Lanka and in Pakistan and we sincerely hope they are all safe after this awful incident," he said.

"We are deeply saddened to hear reports that security officials in Pakistan have been killed in this attack.

"We will be seeking to talk to Sri Lankan and Pakistan cricket officials as soon as possible to pass on our condolences."

© Cricket World 2009