Leicestershire Join Forces With De Montfort University
De Montfort University (DMU) and Leicestershire County Cricket Club (LCCC) are joining forces in a new cultural partnership.
Vice-Chancellor of DMU Professor Dominic Shellard signed a Letter of Cooperation with the club today (Monday 4 April) at the Grace Road ground with club Chief Executive Mike Siddall.
The partnership will develop joint projects and activities including:
• LCCC coaching for DMU’s student team
• Cooperation on school initiatives and educational activities
• LCCC promotions for university staff and students
• Students playing the 2012 varsity cricket match at Grace Road
• Work placements for students within the club administration
• Joint activities promoted to international and UK students including ‘DMU Day’ cricket match Guest lectures and events on campus and at Grace Road
Leicestershire CCC Chief Executive Mike Siddall said: "We are delighted to join with DMU in this exciting partnership venture. I believe there are many ways in which we can work together for our mutual benefit.
"It’s a great opportunity for our coaches and players to be involved with a local university and we look forward to a long and enjoyable association."
Professor Dominic Shellard said: "We are very pleased to announce this partnership with Leicestershire County Cricket Club which complements our drive to share the university’s academic and research expertise with the community, as well as bringing great opportunities and experiences to our students.
"Sport is key to the richness and diversity of culture and we are delighted that we can make this contribution to cultural life.”
The collaboration is the latest in a series of cultural partnerships that DMU has established in recent months including one with the British Library and another with Leicester City Football Club, which saw the university teaching English to Japanese footballer Yuki Abe."