Tuesday 1 July 2014 

Lou Vincent Banned For Life

Lou Vincent
Lou Vincent, pictured here in action for Lancashire, has been banned for life
© REUTERS / Action Images
 

Former New Zealand international Lou Vincent has been handed a life ban by the England & Wales Cricket Board (ECB) and the Champions League Twenty20 (CLT20) governing council.

Vincent was charged with 18 breaches of the ECB's Anti-Corruption code, pleading guilty last month.

Four of the breaches related to a Twenty20 match played between Lancashire and Durham in 2008 and the remaining 14 charges related to matches played between Sussex and Lancashire and Sussex and Kent in August 2011.

Vincent has agreed a life ban from all forms of cricket in the form of concurrent life bans for each of the 11 offences for which the penalty was a life ban.

Under the terms of his ban, he will be prevented from playing, coaching or participating in any form of cricket which is recognised or sanctioned by ECB, the Intenational Cricket Council (ICC) or any other national governing body.

After being charged by the ECB, Vincent was also handed a three-year ban by the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) for breaching regulations during the Bangladesh Premier League in 2013.

"This has been a complex case which has crossed different cricketing jurisdictions and required close collaboration and intelligence-sharing between both our own anti-corruption unit, other domestic boards and the ICC’s ACSU," ECB Chief Executive David Collier said.

"We are extremely pleased that the matter has now been brought to a satisfactory conclusion and that an individual who repeatedly sought to involve others in corrupt activity for his own personal gain has accepted that his conduct warrants a lifetime ban from cricket.

"It once again highlights our resolve to keep cricket clean and rid the game of the tiny minority who seek to undermine the sport’s integrity."

The ICC has backed the life ban handed to Vincent by both the ECB and the CLT20.

"The ICC endorses the decisions of the CLT20 and ECB to impose life bans on Lou Vincent," ICC Chief Executive David Richardson said.

"The ICC has a zero-tolerance approach towards corruption and these life bans, together with the life ban recently imposed by the ECB on Naveed Arif, should send out a loud and clear message to all those who indulge in corrupt practices and think they can get away with it.

"Whilst the strategy of the anti-corruption units remains focused on education, prevention and disruption of efforts to corrupt, in those small number of instances where suspicious activity is uncovered, no stone will be left unturned to bring those involved to justice.

"These unscrupulous corruptors and small group of greedy individuals should not be permitted to destroy the game for the overwhelming majority who play the game as they should, and the fans across the world.

"We also note the sentiments expressed in the statement of Lou Vincent and commend him for having the courage to finally tell the truth and to co-operate with the investigations.

"I encourage all the players to note how engagement in this type of activity can destroy careers and lives."

© Cricket World 2014