Monday 26 October 2009 

Middlesex Confirm Newman In, Compton Out

	 Middlesex Confirm Newman In, Compton Out
Middlesex Confirm Newman In, Compton Out
© Action Images / Paul Harding Livepic
 

Middlesex have confirmed that ex-Surrey opener Scott Newman has agreed terms with them and that batsman Nick Compton is to leave the club.

Newman left Surrey after nine years at The Brit Oval and after Middlesex lost Billy Godleman to Essex earlier in the year, Newman crosses the Thames to effectively take his place at the top of the order.

“After a difficult season in 2009 which saw me sent out on loan to Nottinghamshire, I am delighted to have signed a permanent contract with Middlesex, which will see me playing cricket here for at least the next three seasons," Newman told the club's website (www.middlesexccc.com).

"I am relishing the opportunity of establishing my place within the Middlesex side and to playing some regular first team cricket."

Meanwhile, batsman Nick Compton, Middlesex's leading run-scorer in 2009, is on his way out of Lord's after taking up an option he had in his contract to leave at the end of this season.

“Unfortunately, I will not be continuing to play for Middlesex for the 2010 season. I leave on good terms with the Club but I feel that it is time for me to make a fresh start and set myself a new challenge in my career," he said.

"I would like to say a special thanks to my team mates both past and present for their contribution to my time at Lord’s and of course to the administration, coaching staff, committee and members for their continued support of me and my cricket over the years.

"Having the opportunity to play for Middlesex at Lord’s, to follow in the footsteps of not only my grandfather but many great past players, makes me very proud and also respectful of my place in a long line of history at Middlesex. I leave with some great memories and friends and I wish Middlesex all the success in the future.”

© Cricket World 2009