Thursday 9 September 2010 

Nottinghamshire To Release Shafayat And Wood

Nottinghamshire To Release Shafayat And Wood
Nottinghamshire To Release Shafayat And Wood
© Action Images / John Sibley
 

Nottinghamshire will not be offering new contracts to batsmen Bilal Shafayat and Matthew Wood and both players will be leaving Trent Bridge at the end of the season.

Shafayat leaves having spent the last three seasons at Nottinghamshire following a switch from Northamptonshire while Wood joined from Somerset in 2008.

Shafayat first played Championship cricket in 2001 and Nottinghamshire Director of Cricket Mick Newell said it had been a hard decision to let him go.

“The decision not to offer new terms to Bilal was a very difficult one because he has a long association with the club and his attitude and approach has always been exemplary," he said.

“Unfortunately he hasn’t produced the consistency that we require which is why we have decided to let him go. Other players have overtaken him in the pecking order and we want to give those players an opportunity to show that they can hold down a place in the team.”

With regard to opening batsman Wood, Newell added:

“Matt joined us with a brief to score runs at the top of the order but he hasn’t been able to do that with any consistency in four-day cricket,” said Newell.

“I expect that there will be interest in Bilal and Matt from other counties and I hope that they both achieve success at their next club.”

Looking ahead, Newell said:

“Alex Hales has established himself in our side in all formats and we’re keen to give more opportunities to Akhil Patel and Scott Elstone who have shown promise in the Clydesdale Bank 40 this season,” said Newell.

“Neil Edwards has been unfortunate in that injury has ruled him out of contention for most of the season but he’ll be keen to make an impression.

“We have a shortlist of targets who we believe can improve our batting and we’ll make signings if the right players are keen to join us.”

© Cricket World 2010