Wednesday 25 July 2007 

Palladino Extends Essex Deal

Essex fast bowler Tony Palladino has signed a new two-year contract with the County that will take him up to the end of the 2009 season.

The 24-year-old’s first team appearances were restricted earlier in the year by injury but he is now back to full fitness in time for the season run-in.

Palladino, who was a member of the County’s first Academy intake, has featured in 25 first-class matches since making his debut in 2003.

He told the Essex CCC website (www.essexcricket.org.uk):

“I’m really happy to have committed my future to Essex. They have put their faith in me so I’m delighted to be able to get this opportunity to repay them over the course of my new contract.

“I’ve had some niggling injuries over the last couple of years but nothing long-term. Hopefully I’ll be fully fit for the remainder of this season and able to push for a regular first-team place.

“From there I’ll be aiming to make sure I start next season in the side and cement my place for the duration. Other fringe players like Mark Pettini, Tim Phillips and Ryan ten Doeschate have kicked on over the last couple of years so I hope to follow them by staking my claim towards being capped.”

Essex Chief Executive David East told the Essex CCC website:

“We are all delighted that Tony Palladino has committed to Essex for another two years. He’s a great example of our Development and Academy framework and has progressed very well despite difficulties with injuries over the last few seasons. We wish him every success for the future.”

© Essex CCC