16 April 2015
Thursday 14 June 2007
Sussex Preview Ahead Of Yorkshire Clash
The match is a top of the table battle with the current leaders who will be playing without Darren Gough and meeting Sussex in great form. Their impressive run has seen the reigning LV County Champions climb to second place in the table, five points behind Yorkshire.
Sussex have turned around their disappointing early season form and come into the game on has seen them beat Shane Warne's Hampshire and crush Worcestershire by an innings and 109 runs.
Sussex will name their team from the following squad: Adams CJ*, Ahmed Mushtaq, Goodwin MW, Hodd AJ+, Hopkinson CD, Kirtley RJ, Lewry JD, Martin-Jenkins RSC, Montgomerie RR, Nash CD, Rana Naved-ul-Hasan, Wright L, Yardy MH.
HISTORY OF THE FIXTURE
Sussex vs Yorkshire
Since the County Championship officially began in 1890
· Overall, Yorkshire leads the series by 68-26, with 67 draws
· In matches in Yorkshire, the home side have 36 and lost 11, with 34 matches drawn.
· This will be the 23rd meeting between the sides at Headingley - Yorkshire have won 6 and Sussex 4 of the previous 22 encounters, with 12 games drawn.
· Yorkshire last beat Sussex in the Championship in September 1998, and as such are yet to beat them since the two-divisional split in 2000, having come closest with a draw in 2002 at Arundel Castle.
Interesting Facts about this fixture:
Since the County Championship officially began in 1890:
* Sussex's best run is the history of this fixture is just three wins, recorded in 1933-4 - a win in this fixture would equal that sequence. Yorkshire's best run, however, is eight consecutive wins, achieved in 1891-5.
* The longest unbeaten streak in this fixture is 17 games by Yorkshire (1921-1929), comprising 12 wins and five draws. Sussex's longest unbeaten streak stands at just nine games, recorded between 1898 and 1902.
* Sussex's pair of victories against Yorkshire in 2006 (both home and away) was the first time since 1933 that Sussex completed the 'double' over this team. Ironically, in that season Sussex won at home by an innings, and away (in Hull) when chasing in the fourth innings).
* Sussex's win at Headingley last year was just their fourth victory at Yorkshire's HQ in 22 visits, and their second win in a row at that ground. Their last defeat at that ground was in 1986, and this remains their only defeat at Yorkshire's HQ since 1950.
James Kirtley - needs one more wicket for 600 Career First-Class Wickets, and 32 more runs for 2000 Career First-Class Runs. Also, his next match will be his 150th First-Class match for Sussex.
Mushtaq Ahmed - needs 4 more runs for 5000 Career First-Class Runs, and 3 more wickets for 400 First-Class Wickets for Sussex.
Matt Prior - needs 76 more runs for 6000 Career First-Class Runs.
Chris Nash - needs 32 more runs for 1000 Career First-Class Runs.
More from Cricket World
03 October 2014
18 June 2014
18 May 2014
04 April 2014
20 March 2014
05 February 2014
24 January 2014