< >
CricketWorld.com, Latest Cricket News & Results

Bob Willis Trophy Round 1: Day 3 Latest News and Scores August 1st – 4th

Bob Willis Trophy Round 1: Day 3 Latest News and Scores August 1st – 4th
Bob Willis Trophy Round 1: Day 3 Latest News and Scores August 1st – 4th

All the latest news and scores from the Bob Willis Trophy Round 1 -  Day 3



Derbyshire v Nottinghamshire (Trent Bridge)

Derbyshire 100/1 (26)

Nottinghamshire 324/10 & 279/10 (77.2 & 83.2)

Day 3 Derbyshire need 265 runs.


Durham v Yorkshire (Emirates Riverside)

Durham 103/10 & 266/10 (58.4 & 109.2)

Yorkshire 75/3 (24.5)

Day 3 Yorkshire need 96 runs.


Yorkshire are closing in on victory over Durham in their Bob Willis Trophy match at Emirates Riverside, requiring another 68 runs to win with seven wickets remaining on the final day.

Alex Lees had set a promising platform for Durham with his first century of the season. However, Matthew Fisher broke the game open with a brilliant spell with the new ball, claiming four wickets from his six-over burst. The home side lost their final seven wickets for 45 runs, leaving Yorkshire in need of 171 runs to get off the mark in the campaign.

Chris Rushworth made early inroads into the visitors' line-up and then claimed his 500th first-class wicket after dismissing Tom Kohler-Cadmore. Dawid Malan survived a dropped chance and then pushed on towards an unbeaten half-century to put Andrew Gale's men in prime position to secure the win on the final day.

Durham began the day 106-2, only 10 runs ahead of the visitors. However, Lees and David Bedingham continued in the same vein as the previous evening, blunting the Yorkshire attack. The two reached the fifty partnership for the third wicket before building the home side's advantage. Bedingham began to find his rhythm, dispatching Jordan Thompson to the fence twice in two overs. The South African reached his fifty from 111 deliveries, marking his debut with a fine innings. The century stand followed for the third wicket Durham reached the end of the first session in a strong position 98 runs ahead of the visitors.

The White Rose were in need of a breakthrough to drag themselves back into the game and skipper Steven Patterson provided it. He sneaked a delivery through Bedingham's defences and trapped the South African lbw for 77, ending the stand for third wicket for 147. Lees grinded his way through to his 16th first-class century with a nudge into the off-side earning his reward for a patient knock, taking 252 deliveries and over six hours to pass three figures.

The arrival of the new ball changed the complexion of the contest. Fisher found swing and dismissed Lees for 106 with a rapid delivery that clipped his pad before removing off-stump. It was the start of a devastating spell of four wickets in 19 deliveries. Fisher sent Jack Burnham tumbling to the deck with a yorker that cleaned up his middle and off stump. Durham skipper Ned Eckersley and Paul Coughlin followed lbw, failing to cope with the full inswinging deliveries.

Jordan Thompson kept the pressure on to remove Ben Raine and Matty Potts without scoring. Gareth Harte was powerless at the other end, but he and Rushworth added a flurry of late boundaries in a partnership of 23. However, the home side were bowled out for 266, leaving the visitors chasing 171 in the fourth innings of the game to secure the win.

Rushworth loomed large in Yorkshire's reply to move within one strike of 500 first-class wickets after dismissing both Adam Lyth and Will Fraine lbw. Malan and Kohler-Cadmore stemmed the tide, fending off the threat of Rushworth, Raine and Potts with the new ball. The two players put on fifty for the third wicket from 75 balls, but Rushworth returned from the Finchale End to break the partnership and claim his 500th wicket, trapping Kohler-Cadmore lbw for 24.

Sean Dickson missed a glorious chance to dismiss Malan for 32, putting down the former England batsman at first slip after Raine found the outside edge. Malan made the most of his opportunity scoring his first half-century for Yorkshire, leaving his team with a manageable total to chase on the final day, although predicted rain could conspire against them at Emirates Riverside.

Leicestershire v Lancashire (Worcester)

Leicestershire 409/8 (119)

Lancashire 86/3 (31)

Day 3 Lancashire trail by 1 run.


BEN Slater hit a career-best 172 and Colin Ackermann 94 as Leicestershire declared with a first innings lead of 87 before taking three early wickets as opponents Lancashire closed the third day just nine runs ahead in the Bob Willis Trophy match being played at Blackfinch New Road.

Keaton Jennings went caught at third slip off Chris Wright for 8, the ball looping off an inside edge and his pads, Josh Bohannon was leg before wicket to a full delivery from Ben Mike for 3, and Alex Davies leg before for 54 missing a pull at a delivery from left-arm spinner Callum Parkinson that went on with the arm to give the Foxes real hope of forcing victory on the final day.

Slater, signed by Leicestershire on a two week loan from Nottinghamshire, shared in a partnership of 165 with Ackermann, a third wicket record for Leicestershire against Lancashire, beating the 163 run partnership between James Bradshaw and Norman Armstrong at Leicester's old Aylestone Road ground in 1929.

Ackermann was positive from the start when his side resumed on 183-2, looking to get forward where possible against an inexperienced bowling attack including three men making their first-class debuts in seamers Ed Moulton and George Balderson, and left-arm spinner Tom Hartley.

All bowled straight and to their fields, however, and on a good, dry but slightly slow pitch, Ackermann and Slater found it hard to work the ball to the boundary. Slater kept the scoreboard moving with singles as he worked his way towards 150, going in to lunch on 143 off 318 balls, while Ackermann hit seven fours in reaching 50 off 88 deliveries. Only one chance was created, when Ackermann, on 47, drove a delivery from Balderson that stopped a little in the pitch back towards the young bowler, but the bowler was unable to hold the catch very low to his left.

It was a different story after the interval as Leicestershire looked to secure a fourth batting bonus point. Having passed 150, Slater lofted Tom Bailey for consecutive sixes over long-on, but a third attempt landed in the hands of Bohannon at deep mid-off.

George Rhodes came and went quickly in the search for quick runs, driving Bailey to Dave Vilas at cover, but Ackermann, on 94, looked certain to reach a century of his own until he was called through for an unlikely second run by Tom Taylor and failed to beat Jennings' throw from the midwicket boundary.

When Taylor went leg before wicket hitting across the line at Balderson and Harry Swindells was bowled trying to improvise against Hartley's left-arm spin, Leicestershire had lost five wickets for 43 runs, but Mike, Klein and Parkinson saw them past 400 before Ackermann declared to ensure the Foxes were able to bowl before tea.

Neither Jennings nor Davies were troubled during the seven overs they did bowl before the break, but Jennings' unfortunate dismissal, followed by those of Bohannon and Davies, means much will depend on Lancashire's in-form captain Dave Vilas, who was unbeaten on 7 at the close.

Before play began, match umpire Alec Swann confirmed Leicestershire seamer Klein had been handed a three point penalty and a reprimand after being adjudged to have committed a level two offence under Law 43, throwing the ball at another player in an inappropriate and dangerous manner.

The incident occurred on the second day of the game, when Klien threw the ball at the stumps but hit Lancashire batsman Danny Lamb on the foot.



Gloucestershire v Worcestershire (Bristol)

Gloucestershire 135/3 (48.2)

Worcestershire 428/5 (120)

Day 3 Gloucs trail by 26 runs.


Worcestershire seamer Charlie Morris struck a potentially crucial blow by removing Gloucestershire captain Chris Dent shortly before the close of play on day three of the Bob Willis Trophy Central Group match at the Bristol County Ground.

Having scored 67 to add to his first innings 92, Dent was again frustrating Worcestershire's hopes of engineering a winning position in the opening game of the season.

But that all changed when Morris had him caught behind in the early evening gloaming and the hosts finished the day on 135-3, still 26 runs behind with seven wickets in hand. Gloucestershire still have a good deal of work ahead of them if they are to save the game and the new ball, due after lunch tomorrow, could yet prove decisive.
Much will depend on George Hankins, who will resume on 38 not out in the morning, in partnership with nightwatchman Josh Shaw, who is yet to score.

Worcestershire had earlier added a further 205 runs to reach 428-5 in their 120 overs and establish a meaningful first-innings lead of 161, Brett D'Oliveira top-scoring with 91 not out, Jack Haynes registering a maiden first-class fifty and Ben Cox weighing in with a whirlwind unbeaten 48 from 32 balls.

Gloucestershire were immediately under pressure in their second innings, Miles Hammond and Graeme van Buuren departing in quick succession as the hosts slumped to 46-2. A cornerstone of Gloucestershire's batting, Dent refused to budge, raising his second half century of the match from 100 balls and staging a restorative partnership of 88 in 33 overs with Hankins. Morris made the key intervention with four overs remaining in the day and the paceman, the pick of Worcestershire's bowlers, now has six wickets to his name.

Looking to even things up when Worcestershire resumed on 223-2, still 44 in arrears, Gloucestershire enjoyed some early success with the new ball, removing Tom Fell, Riki Wessels and Haynes during the morning session. But their attempts to exert control were blown to the four winds after lunch.

Eager to impress in only his sixth first-class appearance and cement his place in the team, England Under-19 international Haynes shared in stands of 53 and 48 with Fell and D'Oliveira for the third and fourth wickets respectively. Initially circumspect, he faced 72 balls before hitting his first boundary, accelerating thereafter and going to a 110-ball 50 via his fourth four, punched through mid-wicket at the expense of David Payne.

He was out in the next over, pinned lbw by a delivery from Ryan Higgins that came back in to him. Fell had earlier perished lbw in the act of playing across the line to a straight one from Shaw, while Wessels fell into Matt Taylor's trap and was well held by van Buuren on the run at deep mid-wicket.

But any thoughts the home side might have entertained of restricting Worcestershire's middle order were quickly forgotten when D'Oliveira and Cox launched a fearsome assault, eight exhilarating overs after lunch spawning a remarkable 92 runs as the game dramatically switched into T20 mode.

D'Oliveira's progress was characterised by deft placement and quick running between the wickets as he registered a 79-ball half century. His next 41 runs occupied a mere 25 balls, the wicketkeeper-batsman taking advantage of some wayward bowling from Tom Price and Matt Taylor to garner 13 fours.

His partner in Blitzkrieg, Cox proved equally bullish, smashing a half dozen fours and lofting a length ball from Shaw straight back over the bowler's head for an imposing six as the runs flowed.

Somerset v Glamorgan (Taunton)

Somerset 296/10 & 290/8 (81)

Glamorgan 104/4 (41.3)

Day 3 Glamorgan need 352 runs.


Tom Abell registered his sixth first class century as Somerset moved to within sight of victory over Glamorgan on the third day of the Bob Willis Trophy match at the Cooper Associates County Ground, Taunton.

Unbeaten on 44 overnight, the home skipper batted through the morning session before finally being dismissed for 119, having faced 167 balls and hit 13 fours and 2 sixes.

With Ben Green, a concussion replacement for George Bartlett, contributing a solid 54, Somerset were able to declare their second innings on 290 for eight, a lead of 455.

At tea, Glamorgan were 29 for three in their second innings and facing the possibility of defeat inside three days. But Chris Cooke’s battling half-century frustrated the hosts as the Welsh county closed on 126 for five, still 329 behind.

Only one wicket fell in the morning session after Somerset had set out on 131 for two in their second innings, 296 ahead.

It came from the first ball of the day when James Hildreth, on 45, nicked a ball from Michael Hogan through to wicketkeeper Chris Cooke.

That brought in Green, involved because Bartlett had been struck on the head by a delivery Marchant de Lange while batting on the opening day.

It was only the 22-year-old Devonian’s third first class appearance and he showed good temperament to grab the unexpected opportunity with both hands.

Abell moved to a stylish half-century with a back-foot boundary through point off de Lange, having faced 88 balls and hit 7 fours.

His partner provided sensible support as both batsmen were tested by a probing spell from Graham Wagg in which the experienced left-arm seamer enjoyed no luck.

Green moved steadily past his previous best first class score of 26 and by lunch his partnership with Abell was worth 82, the scoreboard reading 213 for three.

The afternoon session saw Abell bring up only the second of his first class hundreds to have been scored at Taunton, successive boundaries off Kieran Bull taking him to three figures off 163 balls.

He celebrated by dispatching the next two deliveries from the off-spinner for six and then hit another four before being caught at deep mid-wicket off the final ball of an over that cost 24.

Green reached his maiden first class fifty off 150 balls, with 4 fours, before becoming the first of several Somerset batsmen to perish in the quest of quick runs before the declaration.

Glamorgan had to face 16 overs before tea and Craig Overton was soon carrying on where he had left off in the first innings.

He sent back Nick Selman, lbw playing no shot for the second time in the game, and Kiran Carlsson, before brother Jamie caught and bowled Charlie Hemphrey for 20 miscuing a pull shot.

Glamorgan looked in disarray at tea. But Cooke and Billy Root then produced a defiant stand of 66 to restore an element of pride.

Having looked comfortable, the pair were parted with the score on 95when Root inexplicably attempted three reverse sweeps in the opening two overs from left-arm spinner Roelof van der Merwe.

Having failed to connect with the first two and survived a loud lbw shout, he was bowled trying the third, having made 26.

Cooke played some fine shots to bring up a 76-ball half-century, which featured 8 fours, and was largely content to stick to the textbook as he reached 67 not out by the close.

But Dan Douthwaite fell lbw to a Jamie Overton yorker to end play for the day, leaving his side facing a massive task when play resumes in the morning.

Warwickshire v Northamptonshire (Edgbaston)

Warwickshire 369/8 (120)

Northamptonshire 317/6 (97.5)

Day 3 Northants lead by 90 runs.


Northamptonshire fought back hard to stall Warwickshire's victory push on the third day of a compelling Bob Willis Trophy tussle at Edgbaston.

Trailing by 227 on first innings, the visitors closed the third day on 317 for six - 90 ahead. Quick wickets on the final morning would still leave the home side strongly-placed for victory but Northamptonshire have put themselves right back in the game.

When, shortly after lunch, they declined to 148 for five, still 79 behind, defeat beckoned inside three days. But Charlie Thurston (96, 168 balls, 15 fours) and Adam Rossington (60 not out, 147 balls, eight fours) added 159 in 48 overs, a Northamptonshire sixth-wicket record against Warwickshire, to set up an interesting last day.

For the Bears, there was frustration after their domination of the first two days. They were hampered by the absence of England paceman Olly Stone who took the field at start of play but did not bowl before leaving as a precaution after feeling some discomfort in his side. The problem does not appear serious, as he took the drinks out to his team-mates a short time later, but no risks will be taken with a player who is firmly in England's reckoning.

Without Stone, as the day wore on, Warwickshire's attack looked much less potent than in the first innings, though they made strong progress at first. After Northamptonshire resumed on 19 without loss, they soon lost Emilio Gay who edged Olly Hannon-Dalby to Tim Bresnan at first slip.

The impressive Hannon-Dalby had both Ben Curran and Ricardo Vasconcelos dropped in the cordon and the pair took advantage of their reprieves to add 79 in 19 overs. Curran batted fluently for 58 (88 balls, 11 fours), his fifth first-class half-century, which arrived during a flurry of four fours in an over from Ryan Sidebottom. The 24-year-old's hopes of advancing to a maiden century were ended in the next over when he fell lbw to captain Will Rhodes.

Northamptonshire looked solid at 135 for two at lunch but lost three wickets in the first eight overs of the afternoon session. Vasconcelos (42, 76 balls, nine fours) departed in careless fashion when he lifted Alex Thomson to short extra cover and Rob Keogh chipped Tim Bresnan loosely to point but Saif Zaib was blameless, nicking an away-swinger from Bresnan to complete a pair.

Northamptonshire looked to be hurtling towards defeat but Thurston and Rossington shored up the innings with intelligent, compact batting. Thurston reached his half-century from 92 balls with Rossington following to his from 117 in two and a half hours' worth of true captain's innings.

They were separated late in the day when Warwickshire had eight overs with the new ball. In the second of them, Bresnan continued his excellent debut by trapping Thurston lbw but the resolute Rossington remains to take the fight into the final day.


Essex v Kent (Chelmsford)

Essex 298/10 (108.2)


Day 3 Essex need 202 runs.


Simon Harmer showed glimpses of his 2019 form to snatch four wickets and set up a pulsating final day of Essex’s Bob Willis Trophy clash with Kent.

Former South African spin bowler Harmer, who took 71 wickets last season, had been targeted in the first innings and had gone 26 wicketless overs before pinching two late scalps.

But the Wisden Cricketer of the Year 2020 took four for 35 to help Essex roll Kent out for 112, with fast bowling duo Jamie Porter and Sam Cook contributing with analysis of two for 31 and three for 19.

It means Essex, who earlier saw Ryan ten Doeschate score 78, will require 202 to win on the last day at the Cloudfm County Ground, Chelmsford.

In the first innings, Kent had collapsed to 23 for three in the first six overs, only to recover thanks to Heino Kuhn’s 140, Ollie Robinson’s 78 and useful contributions in the lower middle order.

This time around, they slumped to 36 for three, in 21 overs, before continuing the slide.

Porter, who had taken 4-107 earlier in the match, got the ball rolling when Daniel Bell-Drummond edged behind to Adam Wheater.

Kent debutant Jack Leaning was on a pair after his first innings duck, and narrowly avoided the calamity when his edge fell just short of Sir Alastair Cook at first slip.

However, the former Yorkshire batsman only managed six before Sam Cook pinned him lbw.

Robinson was dropped on 13 at short leg by Varun Chopra, only to edge Porter to Harmer after a 50-ball 14.

Harmer then dismissed Kuhn and Darren Stevens – who both tried to play rare attacking shots, but only picked out Nick Browne and Tom Westley at deep midwicket and long on respectively.

Grant Stewart quickly followed, caught behind off Porter, before Harmer had Marcus O’Riordan lbw.

Jordan Cox had provided resilience with a 29 off 116 balls but Cook produced a brilliant in-ducker to break his defences, before the quick found Hamidullah Qadri nicking behind. O’Riordan, Cox and Qadri all departing with the score on 100.

Matt Milnes was the last man to fall as he picked out Feroze Khushi on the legside boundary – Kent rolled for 112, losing their last six wickets for 26 runs.

Browne and nightwatchman Porter faced one wicketless, and runless, over from Milnes to end the day.

Earlier, Ryan ten Doeschate collected his 79th first-class half-century, while also raising money for the Lord’s Taverners.

The Holland international is one of seven batsmen who are donating money to the Lord’s Taverners for every run they score this summer – with six bowlers helping to raise money through wickets.

Playing in his 17th season with Essex, ten Doeschate used that experience to carefully make his way to his 79th first-class fifty on an uncharacteristically sluggish Cloudfm County Ground, Chelmsford pitch.

Wheater and ten Doeschate needed almost 25 overs to bring up the 50 stand for the sixth wicket, while it took the latter 105 balls to score his first boundary of the match – however, the cover drive was worth the wait.

Wicketkeeper Wheater departed when he was run out by Heino Kuhn at midwicket after ten Doeschate had turned down a single to end the 69-run partnership.

Ten Doeschate, on his 189th first-class appearance, Marcus O’Riordan for a six over midwicket before moving to his milestone from 122 balls with a dink to third man.

Harmer scored 29, in a 68 stand with ten Doeschate, before he was plumb in front to O’Riordan just before a post-lunch slump saw the Essex tail only add 18 runs for the last three wickets, with Matt Milnes grabbing all three scalps.

Ten Doeschate fell when he struck to Leaning at point, before Sam Cook pulled to midwicket and Quinn edged to second slip in successive balls – Essex falling to an 89-run first-innings deficit.

Surrey v Middlesex (Oval)

Surrey 282/10 (101)

Middlesex 160/3 (51)

Day 3 Middlesex lead by 225 runs.


Tim Murtagh’s devastating second new ball spell of 6-5-4-4, and a dramatic Surrey collapse in which they lost their last seven first innings wickets for only 28 runs in 15 overs either side of lunch, has given Middlesex full control of the Bob Willis Trophy’s London derby.

By the end of day three Middlesex had stretched their overall lead to 249 by reaching 184 for 3 in their second innings with Max Holden scoring 43 and Nick Gubbins following up his first innings 192 with 49 not out.

Gubbins added a handy 71 in just 11 overs in the late afternoon sunshine with Martin Andersson, who has so far hit seven fours in a punchy unbeaten 35 off 37 balls.

Holden was joined by Sam Robson (31) in a first wicket stand of 70 before being brilliantly caught by Rikki Clarke at slip off Dan Moriarty, who then had Robson caught behind from one that bounced and turned and Stephen Eskinazi taken at short leg for 18 in a fine spell of 3 for 39 from 15 accurate overs.

Veteran seamer Murtagh, who turned 39 yesterday, earlier finished with figures of 5 for 47 as Surrey, at one stage cruising on 254 for three in reply to Middlesex’s 347 for six declared, were tumbled out for 282.

And, despite the efforts of Surrey’s 20-year-old slow left-armer Moriarity, on his first-class debut, Middlesex will fancy their chances of beating their traditional rivals on a pitch that is starting to take more spin and also showing some signs of inconsistent bounce.

Most counties are facing this abbreviated season with significant absentees, particularly those who are included in the extended England Test and one-day international ‘bubbles’, but Surrey are perhaps more handicapped than others in the South Group with a full XI of senior players currently unavailable.

This includes their seven England squad players, their two Kolpak-registered South Africans Morne Morkel and Hashim Amla, absent due to global travel restrictions, and the pace bowlers Liam Plunkett, Conor McKerr and Jade Dernbach because of injury niggles.

And Middlesex, although themselves without the powerful fast bowling trio of Steven Finn, Toby Roland-Jones and Tom Helm, still have the estimable Murtagh to lead their attack and he swept aside Jordan Clark, Moriarty, Matt Dunn and Amar Virdi to take his career first-class wickets tally to 821.

The third day, however, had begun with Surrey looking the likeliest side to get on top until Scott Borthwick’s dismissal for 92, hoicking a first ball long hop from Andersson to mid wicket, and which followed a fourth wicket stand of 105 with Jamie Smith, who went on to make an impressive 80 from 166 balls, with a six and 14 fours.

Surrey had resumed on 189 for three, and initially Borthwick and Smith added a further 65 in 18 overs. But, just when it seemed that Surrey would push on to a first innings advantage for themselves, Borthwick fell in the 86th over – after facing 240 balls, hitting 12 fours – and, suddenly, fortunes changed.

Clarke was well caught by wicketkeeper John Simpson for 1, gloving a sweep at leg spinner Nathan Sowter, and then Murtagh grabbed the second new ball to huge effect. Clark and Moriarty fell before lunch, and Dunn and Virdi to consecutive balls to finish off the innings soon after Smith was eighth out, caught at second slip off Miguel Cummins.

Clark was superbly held by a diving Simpson for 1, trying to leg glance, and Moriarty leg-before for a duck. Dunn was bowled for 1 by a beauty which clipped the top of his off stump and Virdi was struck in front shuffling across to his first ball. No fewer than 13 of Murtagh’s 27 overs were maidens.

Sussex v Hampshire (Hove)


©Cricket World 2020