< >
CricketWorld.com, Latest Cricket News & Results

Bob Willis Trophy Round 2: Day 3 Latest News and Scores August 8th – 11th

Derbyshire players coming off the ground at Grace Road, Leicester
Derbyshire players coming off the ground at Grace Road, Leicester
©Cricket World / John Mallett

All the latest news and scores from the Bob Willis Trophy Round 2 -  Day 3 - August 8th  – 11th



Durham v Lancashire (Riverside)

Match Summary

Durham 180 & 110

Lancashire 308 

Lancashire win by an innings and 18 runs

Match Scorecard & Stats + Analysis

Lancashire recorded a dominant victory over Durham by an innings and 18 runs inside three days in their Bob Willis Trophy match at Emirates Riverside.

The Red Rose were in control of the contest after the opening two days and compounded their advantage by passing the 300-run mark with the bat, earning a third bonus point. Entering the Durham second innings with a lead of 128, the visitors were relentless with the ball, and Tom Bailey led the way taking three wickets to remove the home side's top order.

Liam Hurt then took centre stage, notching his best first-class figures of 4-27. James Franklin's men were listless with the bat and were dismissed for 110 as only four batsmen passed double figures. Lancashire are now back in contention in the North Group, earning 22 points from the match, while Durham are rock bottom adding only another three to their total.

Resuming on 284-9, Bailey took the attack to the Durham bowlers, finding the boundary with ease. He launched two sixes to drive Lancashire over the 300-run mark to secure their third batting point of the contest. Matt Salisbury ended the innings for 308, claiming his fourth wicket by pinning Richard Gleeson lbw for two.

Durham had a challenge to fight their way back into the match, but their second innings began in the worst possible manner, losing Alex Lees for a duck to a sublime yorker from Bailey that dislodged his off-stump. Sean Dickson fell for three, edging behind to Davies from another fine Bailey delivery. Durham soon slumped to 5-3 as Cameron Steel continued the procession back to the pavilion as Luke Wood swung a delivery back into his pads. The home side suffered a further blow before lunch when Wood found Gareth Harte's outside edge, putting the visitors in complete control.

David Bedingham tried to provide impetus in the Durham innings after the restart. He made his way to a brisk 25 before he became Bailey's third victim of the innings, being pinned lbw. The visitors kept plugging away and pressured the middle order. Hurt's introduction into the attack from the Finchale End brought the wickets of Ned Eckersley and Brydon Carse.

The Durham skipper received a ball that rose off the surface and he could only fend it into the hands of Steven Croft. Carse was then trapped lbw on the crease by a swinging delivery from the right-arm seamer. Ben Raine was left to face the hat-trick ball, but survived with a solid defence.

Jack Burnham offered resistance ensuring that Durham surpassed their lowest first-class total of 61. He played well for his knock of 27, but it ended when he got caught in two minds playing a pull against Hurt, inside edging the ball onto his own stumps. Hurt claimed his fourth wicket of the session removing Matt Salisbury after finding the outside edge. Liam Livingstone put down Bedingham earlier in the day, but atoned for his drop with a brilliant low catch at second slip to send the tailender on his way.

Raine and Chris Rushworth battled for a period to delay the inevitable, putting on a stand of 24 for the final wicket. Livingstone ended proceedings as Rushworth was the last man out. He edged behind to Davies for 11, allowing the Red Rose to complete a fine victory on the road and get off the mark in the competition.

Leicestershire v Derbyshire (Leicester)

Match Scorecard & Stats + Analysis

Leicestershire 199 and 220 Derbyshire 408 and 12-1

Derbyshire win by nine wickets.

Derbyshire 24 pts Leicestershire 3pts

Leg-spinner Matt Critchley picked up a career best 6-73 as Derbyshire extended their lead at the top of the North Group by completing a nine wicket victory over Leicestershire in the Bob Willis Trophy match at the Fischer County Ground, Grace Road.

Critchley had Colin Ackermann caught at first slip by a diving Wayne Madsen, Ben Mike caught at second slip by Leus du Plooy and Dieter Klein caught behind by wicket-keeper Harvey Hosein in the space of five balls as the Foxes collapsed from 104-2 to 140-8.

Only a defiant last wicket stand of 52 between Harry Swindells and Chris Wright, batting with a runner, prevented Leicestershire being beaten by an innings.

The morning had seen a double wicket maiden from first-class debutant Ed Barnes raise Derbyshire's hope of forcing a three day win.

The young Yorkshireman, on loan at Derbyshire until the end of the season, bowled nightwatchman Callum Parkinson off the inside edge as the batsman tried to leave a delivery just outside off-stump, and three balls later found the edge of left-hander Ben Slater's bat and saw Madsen hold a waist-high catch at first slip to leave Leicestershire struggling on 34-2.

They would have been in even deeper trouble if Leus du Plooy had been able to hold a chance given by Harry Dearden soon afterwards, the batsman edging an attempted cut at a wide delivery from Dustin Melton to second slip, where du Plooy got both hands to the ball but could not hang on.

Dearden played aggressively after lunch, hitting 21 runs off 14 balls and raising a 50 partnership with opener Hassan Azad, but an attempt to clear mid-on off the bowling of Critchley gave Luis Reece a simple catch. Azad followed, leg before wicket on the back foot to the occasional left-arm spin of du Plooy, and the writing was on the wall for the Foxes when George Rhodes tried to clip a full straight ball from Dustin Melton through midwicket, missed, and was palpably leg before wicket.

Critchley's three in five made the win all but certain, though Will Davis, Swindells - who finished on a career-best 41 not out - and Wright battled impressively to ensure the home side avoided the ignominy of an innings defeat.

With the pitch offering increasing turn, left-arms spinner Parkinson then had Derbyshire captain Billy Godleman caught behind before Reece and Madsen saw their side over the line for their second win in as many matches.

Nottinghamshire v Yorkshire (Trent Bridge)

Yorkshire, who won the toss and batted, 264 and 259/7, lead Nottinghamshire 355, by 168 runs

Match Scorecard & Stats + Analysis


An innings of 75 from Jonny Bairstow helped push Yorkshire into a position of strength on the third day of their Bob Willis Trophy match against Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge.

Bairstow, playing his first red ball match for his county in two years, played the major hand as the White Rose reached the close on 259 for seven, an overall lead of 168.

Adam Lyth made exactly 50, scoring his runs from 124 balls, with six fours, and Jonny Tattersall will go into the final day undefeated on 41.

For the home county Zak Chappell returned figures of three for 49.

England ICC World Cup winner Bairstow batted for almost three hours and hit 14 boundaries in his 140-ball stay. His only moment of good fortune came early on in his innings when he nicked Matt Carter’s off spin between wicketkeeper Tom Moores and Steven Mullaney at first slip.

From that point he exuded confidence and cut Chappell gleefully for a succession of boundaries but his eventual dismissal came during an unexpected spell in mid-afternoon when three wickets fell in quick succession.

Yorkshire had made serene progress in reaching 135 for one but 18 deliveries later they had slumped to 136 for four. The breakthrough came from Samit Patel, having Lyth caught at slip by Mullaney, shortly after brining up his half century from 117 balls.

Matt Carter then accounted for both Bairstow and Dawid Malan in similar fashion, with both caught at short leg by Haseeb Hameed. The first, an athlete right-handed grab, was out of the very top drawer, the second a gentle lob up from Malan’s bat and pad, as he departed for just a single.

Spin dominated throughout the day and Patel picked up a second wicket when Harry Brook fell for a well-compiled 30 immediately after tea. With the scoreboard showing Notts to have an over rate of plus 18, they found themselves in a position to take the second new ball by 5.20pm, with the allocation of 90 overs already surpassed.

Missing Jake Ball, who had left the action with a side strain after bowling three overs at the start of the day, the hosts turned back to Chappell to try and end the day as he’d started it and he duly delivered.

Having removed Tom Kohler-Cadmore for a golden duck at the start of the day, Chappell closed it by picking up the wickets of Jordan Thompson for 33, aided by the sharpest of slip catches by Carter, then Steven Patterson, who edged behind in the same over.

Jonny Tattersall stood firm, reaching the close unbeaten on 41, with Duanne Olivier on eight.

All results remain possible heading into the final day, with Yorkshire bidding for back-to-back wins, whilst Nottinghamshire remain hopeful of breaking a sequence of 24 matches without victory, stretching back to June 2018.





Gloucestershire v Warwickshire (Bristol)

Gloucestershire 210 & 197/6

Warwickshire 247 

Match Scorecard & Stats + Analysis


Half-centuries from Graeme van Buuren and Ryan Higgins kept Gloucestershire hopes alive on the third day of the Bob Willis Trophy match against Warwickshire at the Bristol County Ground. 

The home side looked in deep trouble when slipping to 30 for three in the morning session, having conceded a first innings deficit 37 when bowling out their opponents for 247 from an overnight 230 for eight. 

But van Buuren (72) and Higgins (51) then shared a defiant fourth-wicket stand of 110 either side of lunch, which enabled Gloucestershire to reach 197 for six by the time bad light ended play eight overs early, a lead of 160. 

All results remain possible on day four, but in the end the only winner could be the slow pitch, which has made the match hard work for batsmen and bowlers alike. 

The day began with all-rounder Higgins completing figures of four for 54 by claiming both remaining Warwickshire wickets from the Ashley Down Road End. Tim Bresnan was caught behind for 38 and last man Oliver Hannon-Dalby taken at second slip for a duck. 

Hannon-Dalby then followed up his career-best figures of six for 33 in the first innings by pinning Ben Charlesworth lbw, playing no shot, for 14 and having George Hankins well caught low down at first slip by Bresnan for a duck. 

Bresnan had already removed Gloucestershire captain Chris Dent, bowled off an inside edge without scoring, and it was tough going for the home side, who were still seven runs behind when van Buuren and Higgins came together. 

The pair took the score to 51 for three at lunch and prospered in the afternoon session, van Buuren moving to a gutsy fifty off 99 balls, with 8 fours. 

Warwickshire’s bowlers appeared to be getting frustrated when Henry Brookes struck a morale-boosting double blow just before tea. 

First he picked up the wicket of van Buuren with the total on 140, Sam Hain pouching a low catch at second slip to end an innings occupying 132 balls and featuring 11 crisply-struck fours. 

Higgins also went on to his half-century and had faced 101 deliveries, hitting nine boundaries, when superbly caught down the leg side by diving wicketkeeper Michael Burgess off Brookes in the final over of the session to make it 155 for five. 

With two new batsmen at the crease, Gloucestershire needed to be watchful after tea. Gareth Roderick and Jack Taylor took the score to 190 before Roderick, on 13, lost concentration and carelessly drove a low catch to Matt Lamb at cover off the bowling of Craig Miles. 

There followed a period of nine overs from Bresnan and Miles in which only one run was scored. Taylor, who had taken 32 balls to get off the mark in the first innings, again showed an obdurate side to his normally aggressive game. 

George Scott, on his Gloucestershire debut, was equally content with survival and the game seemed to be going nowhere when the umpires called a halt, with Taylor unbeaten on 23 and Scott having scored two off 31 balls. 

Soon it was raining at the end of a day of sultry heat and hopes of a restart were dashed. 


Worcestershire v Glamorgan (Worcester)


Worcestershire first innings 455-8 and second innings 98-2

Glamorgan first innings 374 

Match Scorecard & Stats + Analysis

Centurion Billy Root was the inspiration behind a stirring Glamorgan fightback after Worcestershire captain Joe Leach had plunged them into deep trouble with a deadly burst with the ball in the Bob Willis Trophy encounter at Blackfinch New Road.

Root, unbeaten on 53 overnight, had seen his side nosedive from 185-2 to 203-6 after Leach’s spell brought the remarkable figures of 7-5-3-4.

At that juncture, the visitors were still 53 runs away from avoiding the possibility of being asked to follow on. But Root showed great application and determination in enabling his side to recover to the extent that their first innings deficit was only 81 as they totalled 374 all out from 116.3 overs.

He went onto make 118 and it needed a stunning catch from Worcestershire keeper Ben Cox to bring his fine knock, containing 12 fours and spanning 258 balls, to an end.

Worcestershire openers Daryl Mitchell (48 not out) and Jake Libby (44) then extended their side’s advantage in solid fashion during an opening stand of 97 before the latter and Leach (0) departed shortly before the close.

Root had received excellent support from Graham Wagg (54) in a seventh wicket partnership of 118 in 34 overs.

The former Nottinghamshire batsman gave only one sharp chance when on 74 – to slip off spinner Brett D’Oliveira.

Then a last wicket stand of 41 between Timm van der Gugten (23 not out) and Michael Hogan (17) further helped Glamorgan’s cause before they were dismissed on the stroke of tea.

Leach’s initial spell wreaked havoc to the Glamorgan batting line-up.

Kiran Carlson added only three runs to his overnight 76 when he pushed forward to a delivery which left him and Daryl Mitchell held a sharp low catch at second slip.

It ended a partnership of 141 in 47 overs with Root.

Leach struck again in his next over when Glamorgan captain Chris Cooke (0) went for a square drive and picked out Ed Barnard who excelled in clinging onto a low chance at point

Tom Cullen (1) was next to perish to a ball which moved away just enough to find the edge as he pushed forward – and Mitchell made no mistake with a chest high catch.

It became 203-6 with the last ball of the same over as Dan Douthwaite hooked at Leach and succumbed to a tumbling catch by Brett D’Oliveira running in from the mid-wicket boundary.

Only when Wagg joined Root did some much needed solidity return to the batting.

A square cut for four off Leach – his 12th boundary – took Root to three figures from 258 balls.

Wagg’s half century came up soon afterwards from 79 deliveries with seven fours before Root’s spectacular dismissal.

He nicked a delivery from Charlie Morris and saw Cox take a stunning one-handed catch in mid air away to his left.

The same combination accounted for Kieran Butt (7) in more straightforward fashion and then Wagg (54) top edged Ed Barnard to provide a simple catch to the keeper.

Dillon Pennington finally received some tangible reward to end the innings when Hogan was pouched by Barnard in another fine catch at point.

Leach finished with 4-67 from 26 overs, Barnard 3-54 and Morris 2-86.

Mitchell and first innings century-maker Libby were initially watchful against some accurate Glamorgan new ball bowling from Hogan and van der Gugten.

But they gradually flourished with the 50 partnership coming up in 23 overs after successive boundaries by Libby off van der Gugten on his return to the attack.

Libby also hit Douthwaite for a trio of boundaries in one over but fell to the same bowler – caught behind – shortly before the close. Leach promoted himself but the move backfired when he was caught at slip by Charlie Hemphrey off spinner Kieran Bull.






Essex v Surrey (Chelmsford)

Essex 262 & 261 lead Surrey 187 & 27/1 by 310 runs

Match Scorecard & Stats + Analysis

Essex's batsmen failed to convert starts into half-centuries but their combined efforts set Surrey 337 to win their Bob Willis Trophy contest.

Sir Alastair Cook, Tom Westley, Varun Chopra, Paul Walter and Adam Wheater all scored between 33 and 46 to help Essex push on in the match but not add to their personal fifty tallies.

Surrey’s bowlers toiled away in 33-degree heat at the Cloudfm County Ground, Chelmsford, and Amar Virdi and Worcestershire loanee Adam Finch were eventually rewarded for their graft with four-fors – 4-85 and 4-38 respectively.

Having bowled Essex out for 261, Surrey batted out 16 evening overs, for the loss of Mark Stoneman - with further 310 runs required from the final day.

Essex paid tribute to much-loved lifelong member Peter Meggs, who passed away on Sunday.

The players wore black armbands, the club flag was lowered to half-mast and two Essex tops were draped over chairs on the boundary edge, one had his name printed on it and the other “bowling Napes” – a catchphrase of Meggs during Graham Napier’s time at the club.

Unrelatedly, a cardboard cut-out of legendary wicketkeeper James Foster watched over proceedings from the top tier of the Tom Pearce Stand – a special request from Alastair Cook.

Foster, who spent 18 seasons in the Essex first-team before retiring in 2018, would likely have been happy with his old side's efforts to capitalise on a first-innings advantage of 77.

Nick Browne was a rare exception in the batting line-up as he departed for four in the third over of the morning – the opener tentatively edged Finch behind to wicketkeeper Jamie Smith.

Cook and Westley put on 47 together, with former England captain drove and cut nicely as he matched his first innings score of 42.

But he couldn’t better it as he was lbw to debutant Gus Atkinson – a memorable wicket for the 22-year-old who didn’t bowl during the 2019 season due to injury.

Westley had endured a tricky start to batting since becoming Essex’s red ball captain, with scores of 13, 0 and 10.

He seemed to have shaken off the pressures with a confident 34 before he clipped Virdi around the corner to Scott Borthwick at leg slip.

Rikki Clarke hadn’t bowled in the morning session, having slung down 23 overs in the first two days, but struck with just his third delivery when he was introduced after lunch.

Feroze Khushi was his victim, as the first innings fifty-maker was drawn into an inviting full-pitched ball, only to edge to Ryan Patel at second slip.

Varun Chopra, who had collected 36 runs with Westley, took the batting baton and added a further 45 with Paul Walter before he diverted Finch to Patel at point.

Walter, playing in his 11th first-class match since signing a professional contract in 2016, has found himself as the heir apparent to the currently injured Ryan ten Doeschate’s No.6 spot – despite formerly being seen primarily as a left-arm fast bowler.

Having scored a useful 33 in the first dig, Walter proved his high-quality all-round capabilities with a patiently made 46.

But on the brink of a second career 50 he was bowled by off-spinner Virdi, having played his part in a 42-run stand with Adam Wheater.

Wheater kept things ticking with Simon Harmer and Aaron Beard, accumulating 28 and 18 with them, before fast bowler Finch and Virdi ripped through the tail.

Harmer was lbw to the impressive Virdi, before Finch had Wheater caught by Borthwick and pinned Sam Cook.

Virdi wrapped up the innings when Beard was caught behind – the last three wickets falling in seven balls.

Stoneman and Patel eased through Porter and Sam Cook's new ball before being tested by Harmer - who struck with the final ball of the day when the former was trapped leg before.

Meanwhile, Surrey announced that fast bowler Conor McKerr would miss the rest of the season due to a tear in the cartilage of his right knee – for which he will undergo an operation on Thursday.

Kent v Sussex (Canterbury)

Sussex, who won the toss, 332 & 173 all out lost to Kent, 530/1 dec by an innings and 25 runs.

Kent 24 points, Sussex 3 points. At the Spitfire Ground, St Lawrence

Match Scorecard and Stats + Analysis

Veteran Darren Stevens bagged five wickets to help clinch his side’s three-day innings and 25-run win over Sussex after a record-breaking display of Kent batting that featured double hundreds by Jordan Cox and Jack Leaming.

In near ideal batting conditions at The Spitfire Ground, St Lawrence, Stevens, now 44, revealed all his bowling wiles to bag five for 50 as the visitors succumbed in their second innings for 173 inside 46.1 overs to lose with six overs and a day to spare on another glorious Canterbury day.       

Needing almost 200 to make Kent bat again, the visitors lost four wickets in 22.1 overs through to tea after Kent had declared their mammoth first innings on 530 for one.

A pugnacious half-century off 68-balls by Harry Finch stemmed the flow of wickets from one end at the start of the evening session, but ageless all-rounder Stevens continued his canny spell to bag the 27th five-wicket haul of his first-class career.    

The Sussex reply had started badly when Salt fell to Harry Podmore’s fourth ball of the innings without scoring. A floating away swinger that Salt could not resist, it flew off an outside edge to second slip where Leaming held a spectacular diving overhead catch.

Having been dropped in the cordon off Stevens when on 17, Tom Haines departed lbw without addition in Stevens’ next over when pushing outside the line of an in-swinger.

Stevens struck again in his next over having Tom Clark caught behind without scoring after edging a wild slash wide outside off stump.

Sussex skipper Ben Brown fell in the tea over, leg before when attempting to work through the leg side to leave Stevens with three for 22 at the interval. 

Soon after resumption, Delray Rawlins clipped a six over backward square leg against Stevens, but the bowler soon had his revenge by running one through the left-hander’s gate to clip the top of off stump.

Stevens produced another beauty that pitched on middle and moved away off the seam to pluck out left-handed George Garton’s off stump allowing Stevens to rest with figures of five for 50 from 15 overs.

Two overs later, Jack Carson pushed at a Podmore leg-cutter to be caught low in the gulley and Finch fell for a gritty 66 when he failed to get on top of an off-drive and picked out Sam Billings diving low at extra cover.

Tim Groenewald had Henry Crocombe caught behind on the drive and last man Mitch Claydon skied to the keeper as Kent won banked 24 points for their first Bob Willis Trophy win. Sussex travelled south with only three points for their troubles.

Earlier, Kent’ Leaning and Cox smashed unbeaten career-best double centuries in an unbroken club record first-class stand worth 423 spread over 95 overs.

Teenager Cox broke numerous records during his 570-ball stay with 47 fours and three sixes for 238 not out, while Leaning joined him with 220 not out from 345 balls and 29 boundaries in a shade under 6.5 hours.

The declaration after 120 overs, a regulation in the new Trophy competition, came shortly after 2pm with Kent on 530 for one for a first-innings lead of 198. Yet it was hardly soon enough for a shattered Sussex attack who had toiled for eight hours for one wicket, that of Daniel Bell-Drummond for 43.

Resuming on their healthy overnight score of 338 for one and a first-innings lead of six, Kent’s second-wicket partners Cox and Leaning continued to churn out the runs.

Leaming, who was dropped by Tom Haines at long leg when on 19 after a top-edged hook against Stuart Meaker, made Sussex pay by reaching his 150 from 232 balls with 22 fours. He had already comfortably eclipsed his previous best first-class score of 123 set for Yorkshire against Somerset at Taunton in 2014.

Cox then posted his maiden double-hundred in first-class cricket. By scampering a single to point off George Garton he reached the landmark off 311 balls with 25 fours and three sixes.

The 19-year-old went on to notch Kent’s highest individual innings against Sussex, beating Neil Taylor’s 203* set at Hove in 1991 and then became the county’s highest maiden century-maker beating the 57-year-old record of 211 made by David Nicholls against Derbyshire at Folkestone in 1963.  

The records continued to tumble when Leaning moved to his maiden double century with a five. Sprinting a single to mid-wicket, Leaning saw Jack Carson’s throw deflect off the non-striker’s end stumps and away to the boundary. Leaning’s 200 came in 351 minutes off 289 balls and with 29 fours.

By lunch the pair had sailed past Kent’s highest first-class partnership record against any county of 382 set by Sean Dickson and Joe Denly for the second wicket against Northamptonshire at Beckenham in 2017. They had also beaten the 131-year-old Kent record for any wicket in matches against Sussex of 249 by fourth-wicket partners George Hearne and Francis Marchant at Gravesend in 1889.

Indeed, Kent’s total of 530 for one became the fourth highest single-wicket score in global first-class cricket history behind the world record of 561 for one held by Karachi Whites batting in the Patrons Trophy against Quetta at the Karachi Stadium in 1977.  

The greatest pity was of course that, because of Covid-19 social distancing restrictions, no supporters were here to witness any of it.

Middlesex v Hampshire (Radlett)

Middlesex 252 & 201 Hampshire 296-9 & 60-2

Match Scorecard & Stats + Analysis

Felix Organ stepped into the breach to bowl injury-hit Hampshire into a winning position with a four-wicket haul against Middlesex at Radlett.

Organ was called on to send down 13 overs of off-breaks during Middlesex’s second innings after a second freak injury in as many days, to seamer Ryan Stevenson, deprived the visitors of two frontline bowlers.

But the 21-year-old responded with figures of 4-42 – his second-best return in red-ball cricket – as the home side were dismissed for 201 to leave Hampshire chasing a victory target of 158.

Although they lost two wickets – and will probably have just nine fit batsmen – Sam Northeast’s side advanced to 60-2 at stumps and go into the final day as clear favourites to clinch their first victory in the Bob Willis Trophy.

The visitors had resumed their first innings in the morning with a 27-run advantage – which they extended by another 17 before Tim Murtagh (4-61) claimed the last two wickets inside the first half-hour.

Middlesex quickly wiped out their 44-run deficit, with Max Holden (26) playing some attacking shots before Keith Barker (2-53) had him caught behind.

But play was held up soon afterwards when Stevenson, chasing Sam Robson’s leg-side drive to the boundary, skidded into a pitchside marquee and gashed his shin on one of the supporting poles.

Even without both Stevenson and spinner Liam Dawson – who had sustained an Achilles tendon injury while batting the previous day – Hampshire’s remaining bowlers were able to peg their hosts back.

Ian Holland picked up the wicket of Robson (21) just before lunch, but Nick Gubbins and Middlesex captain Stephen Eskinazi threatened to seize control of the game as they put together a partnership of 54.

Gubbins was progressing nicely, with 46 from 65 deliveries, until he was given out leg before to former team-mate James Fuller – although it appeared the ball might have taken the left-hander’s inside edge before hitting the pad.

However, his dismissal prompted a clatter of wickets, with Eskinazi (29) top-edging a sweep into the hands of deep square leg in Organ’s next over and Martin Andersson (12) neatly yorked by Fuller (2-58).

A blinding catch at cover by substitute Brad Wheal removed Nathan Sowter (3) to reward Holland (2-39) for his tidy spell, while Organ also trapped John Simpson lbw for 23 before returning to take two more wickets post-tea.

Murtagh (8) registered a couple of boundaries off Barker to lift the Middlesex total above 200 before edging the left-armer to second slip, leaving Hampshire to face 26 overs ahead of stumps.

Organ and Joe Weatherley – who top scored with 98 in Hampshire’s first innings – made steady progress until James Harris produced the breakthrough in his first over, tempting Organ (10) to prod at an outswinger.

Left-arm spinner Thilan Wallalawita matched that feat by having Tom Alsop (13), who had just survived a sharp chance to short leg, caught at first slip with his fifth delivery to leave Hampshire 48-2.

But Weatherley (23*) and Northeast (8*) batted sensibly until the close, bringing the target down to just 98 going into day four.

©Cricket World 2020