< >
CricketWorld.com, Latest Cricket News & Results
 

Calls on Cricket Australia to take immediate and decisive action Jaimie Fuller SKINS

Australian players David Warner and Steve Smith
©Reuters
 

I first met Jaimie Fuller, a long standing campaigner for improved sports governance and anti-corruption in sport, in London in 2015, when the film documentary – Death of a Gentleman -  about the takeover of the governance of cricket by ICC's 'Big Three' – India, Australia and England - was released. Jaimie describes what happened in his open letter – “where you (CA) got into bed with the England Cricket Board and the Board of Control for Cricket in India in an attempt to grab the power, glory and 52% of the money in international cricket between the three of you, and leave the other 102 cricket-playing nations to scramble amongst themselves for the remaining 48%. It was a terrible chapter in cricket’s history and, thankfully, one that is now right – courtesy of the work of campaigners, including my own company SKINS.”

After a conversation with him today, following the publication of his open letter to the Cricket Australia Board, here is his position on the Australian ‘ball tampering’ affair in South Africa:

“Sports governance campaigner, Jaimie Fuller, who is also executive chairman of the SKINS compression wear group of companies, has called on the Board of Cricket Australia to deal with the crisis facing cricket immediately.

In an open letter to the Board published in today’s Sydney Morning Herald, Fuller says that the Australian cricket team is one of the most beloved national teams in the country and the Australian cricket captaincy one of the most coveted jobs in the country.

‘Cricket is such a part of our national psyche that it helps define us,’ Fuller writes.

‘It helps gives us a sense of what is fair, and what is not; what is right and what is wrong.’

He said that as much as the actions of the leadership group and players involved in the ball tampering incident are being judged, so are the actions of the Board of Cricket Australia.

‘Even though [the Board is] presiding over the sport, it doesn’t belong to them,’ Fuller writes. He says now is the time to get their job right.

Fuller urges the Cricket Australia Board not to repeat other recent failures of governance which he counts as the arrangement with the England and Indian cricket boards to ‘grab’ 52% of international cricket revenues for themselves, and the ‘debacle’ of the long drawn out pay negotiations.

Fuller says cricket does not belong to the Board.

He calls on the Board to tell the Australian community who was behind the ball tampering incident, who came up with the idea, who agreed to it and who knew about it, within a few days – not after a long inquiry.

Fuller also says those involved should be recalled and take no further part in the Test series.

‘If Australia wins this Test, we cannot accept the victory under any circumstances.’

He also writes that the Cricket Australia Board should worry less about the outcome of the Tests and more about their own reputation, that of the game and of Australia as a sporting nation.

Jaimie Fuller is an internationally recognised campaigner for improved sports governance and anti-corruption in sport. He is the founder of #ChangeCyclingNow which led to initial governance reform following the Lance Armstrong revelations in 2013, and co-founder of #NewFIFANow which has pressured FIFA, its sponsors and broadcasters for fundamental change in world football governance for more than three years.”

Please do write to Jaime at [email protected] and/or  [email protected] with your views.


Official Cricket Australia Website
 
 
 
 
Official Cricket Australia Website