Camberley History Repeats Itself

Camberley CC
History was made at Camberley CC this weekend
©Camberley CC

As the sun set over the ground on Saturday evening, those left in the bar (of which there were many) reflected on an a rare achievement which you would have thought happened more often – all three Camberley teams winning on the same day.

With the rain teaming down all morning over Surrey, it looked like only the 1st XI, who had the distinct advantage of playing at our extremely quick drying ground, would complete a fixture. While the 1s took on Malden Wanderers at home, the 2nd XI travelled to Stoke D’Abernon and the 3rd XI made the trip up the A3 to Old Emanuel.

Having made the worst possible start, being reduced to two for two, Camberley dug deep to bat out the full complement of allocated overs to post 201 for eight.  

Todd Hutcheson carried his bat for a gritty 92 not out while some late-order improvisation from Kyle Philander helped push the toal along. In the field, the usual energy was again on show as well as deubtant Trevor McGeer who impressed with figures of four for 39, while the Burns brothers put on a slip-catching masterclass.

While this was all happening at the CCG, the 3rd XI had already returned from their delayed 15:00 start having bowled the opposition out for just 60, a score they then overhauled for the loss of just three wickets to put one win on the board already.

At Stoke D’Abernon, Jos Clarke and Steve Hulks both recorded half-centuries in the 2nd XI total of 202 and that game was meandering to a draw before a late flurry of wickets led to a 74-run win. Skipper Sam Holmes was the pick of the bowlers, taking four for 18.

Two from two.

Attention switched back to the 1s who were taking regular wickets despite the best efforts of Will Sabey and Sagar Patel who both registered 58. Once Patel fell to a juggling boundary catch by Crowdy off the bowling of Hagger it also looked like a draw was the most likely outcome but Burns senior had other ideas. 

In the final over of the game and with the bat surrounded, he had Marks caught sharply at first slip before trapping Wightwick with the very next ball. Cue the celbrations, not only for a hard fought 27-run win, but also to complete the hat-trick of results.

The last time that occurred was excatly 3 years ago this very weekend.

Related Articles


Suggested Topics

Nominate a Performance of the Week
Become a Profiled Club
Find a Fixture