Cricket Scotland: COVID-19 Update
Cricket Scotland today announced a number of measures for staff and international, regional, age group and domestic cricket following the worldwide coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and the recent governmental advice. Clearly our focus must be that cricket in Scotland plays its part in the efforts to stop the spread of the virus and protects the well-being of the sport's participants and supporters in these unprecedented times.
Commenting on the current situation, CEO Gus Mackay said: “We recognise these are challenging times and are mindful that we require to remain calm, continue to take advice, work together as a sport and support each other. There will be a significant impact to cricket activities; however, we will get through this.”
The following actions have been implemented as from today (Monday 16th March):
- All Cricket Scotland national, regional and age group training has been suspended until Tuesday 31st March and will be subject to review on or before Monday 30th March;
- All Cricket Scotland participation activity within schools and clubs has been postponed until further notice;
- All upcoming Cricket Scotland events, such as CricketForce, Grounds Seminar and Coaches Association workshops have been cancelled or postponed until further notice;
- Scotland men’s Cricket World Cup League 2 fixtures in Namibia in April are currently under review and will be subject to both ICC and government recommendations. The fixtures due to take place in the USA at the beginning of April have already been postponed as Cricket Scotland announced last week;
- An update on the Summer Internationals versus Australia and New Zealand will be given following discussions with both Cricket Australia (CA) and New Zealand Cricket (NZC). Cricket Scotland has, of course, closely noted the advice from the Scottish Government on mass gatherings;
- Cricket Scotland advises that all schools and clubs should cease all cricket activity until further notice. In addition, Cricket Scotland advises that general or other sizeable meetings of regional and umpire associations should not take place in person for the foreseeable future;
- Cricket Scotland’s office at National Cricket Academy, Ravelston, Edinburgh EH4 3NT will close from Wednesday 18th March until at least Tuesday 31st March 2020. All staff will work from home during this time. For contact details, please visit www.cricketscotland.com. For any specific queries, please contact [email protected].
In regard to the 2020 domestic season which is due to start in late April, Cricket Scotland will be working with the regional associations in the next few days to assess whether the start of the season should be delayed and to identify options for re-scheduling should this be required.
Cricket Scotland understands this is an evolving situation and will continue to consult with sportscotland, the UK and Scottish Governments and the England and Wales Cricket Board as well as the regional associations and others and will provide further updates when appropriate.
©Cricket World 2020