ECB Cockspur Cup 2007: Round 3

Only four matches survived the soggy Bank Holiday weekend weather in the Cockspur Cup third round, with holders South Northumberland safely through. They won at Sunderland, while Chester-le-Street joined them in the Group 1 semi-finals with victory at Benwell Hill. After the disastrous weekend on the day of the second round all clubs were hoping that now things were back on track the weather gods would shine on everyone – but out of the 64 matches scheduled only five results were achieved on the field of play. A sixth match was started but only lasted 17 overs, another tie was decided by the toss of a coin and five teams had already conceded their ties. Therefore 11 of the 64 ties have been decided and a second attempt will be made in the other 53 ties over the next two weekends - so yet more fixture chaos ensues. Group 1 saw three of the four ties decided. South Northumberland continued the defence of their crown in style as they cruised to a seven-wicket win over Sunderland – conversely they lost their league match the following day against the same opposition. Chester-le-Street amassed 288 for three against Benwell Hill with opener Wayne Ritzema scoring 150 not out and Quentin Hughes (85) joining him in an opening stand of 188. In reply Benwell Hill succumbed to 99 all out, Chester-le-Street winning by 189 runs. In Scotland, Grange reached 159 for six in their 45 overs, N McRae top-scoring with 83 and Rohit Ralhan taking 3-31. Rohit then led the Clydesdale reply scoring 69 and with support from K Farid (39) and H Singh (42 not out) his team ran out winners by seven wickets with over 14 overs remaining. The final tie in this Group between Poloc and Fofarshire will be played on June 3. The only other matches to be played were at New Brighton and Bradshaw. In Group 5 Bradshaw batted first and scored 173 for seven against Bowdon, who were then bowled out for 166 in a close finish, losing by seven runs. New Brighton batted first in their match in Group 6 against Firwood Bootle, which was played over 20 overs-a-side. Ashraf Nawab top scored with 57 as their innings closed after setting what appeared to be a very challenging 166 for eight. Firwood Bootle had other ideas as Ian Cockbain and Graham Lloyd set about the chase at a thunderous pace. Ian scored 94 off 37 balls, including nine fours and six sixes, whilst Graham’s 48 not out came off 36 balls as Bootle romped to a nine-wicket victory off only 12.5 overs. The only other match to see any play was at the other end of the country as Hastings & St Leonard’s Priory scored 132 for one off only 17 overs against Linden Park from Tunbridge Wells - and then the heavens opened. They will now play this tie on Sunday June 3. In Group 3, Kimberley Institute progressed against Rotherham Town by virtue of winning on the toss of a coin and five other sides - Northern, Thornbury, Grampound Road, Teddington and Three Bridges - progressed by virtue of their respective opponents conceding. 45 matches have been rescheduled for Sunday June 3, seven will be played on Sunday June 10 and one match still remains to be rearranged. The home side, Hastings & St Leonards Priory CC, rattled up 132 for one in 17 overs against Linden Park, only for the rain to come and force them to try again next week. Matches are being rearranged for either Sunday June 3 or seven days later. Heavy rain continued to disrupt the early stages of the 2007 Cockspur Cup with only five out of 64 third-round matches possible on the scheduled day and the majority of the rearranged ties played the following week. On Sunday May 27th, defending champions, South Northumberland were not troubled by the weather and had a comprehensive seven wicket victory at Sunderland. Other matches played that day were won by Chester-le-Street, Bradshaw and Bootle with Kimberley Institute progressing on the toss of a coin against luckless Rotherham. Clydesdale beat Grange but fielded an ineligible player causing the result to be reversed. The following Sunday, last season’s runners-up Bromley had a close call in their trip to Gidea Park. Matt Dennington was top scorer in their innings with 60 as they scored 254. Gidea Park who looked well in contention at 197-3 then suffered a late collapse and were bowled out for 239 in the last over with Matt Isaacs taking 4-36 and Matt Dennington 3-39. Last year’s surprise package St Just from Cornwall won in style against Werrington. Having restricted their opponents to 149-9, they breezed past their target losing just one wicket in the process with David Roberts (72*) and Kim Barnett (71*) finishing off the match in style. Cambridge Granta continued their impressive form as they disposed of Saffron Walden in front a big crowd. Home side Saffron Walden batted first and posted 256-5 with Ryan Sparrow scoring 140. Tom Westley (75) joined Ryan in an opening partnership of 165. In reply Cambridge Granta were led by Jacques du Toit who scored 114, on top of his 71 and 81 in the previous rounds, and he was well supported by Tom Harvey (49) and Sean Park (44*) as Granta won by seven wickets. In the next round, they will host Southgate who comfortably beat Blackheath also by seven wickets. © ECB