< >
CricketWorld.com, Latest Cricket News & Results

Fourth England-New Zealand Women ODI Abandoned

The fourth ODI between England women and New Zealand was abandoned due to inclement weather. After a full first innings the rain arrived just after the interval and continued until the umpires called the game off at 5pm. England captain Charlotte Edwards had initially won the toss and elected to field on what started as a warm, sunny morning in Lincoln. Caroline Atkins was back to full fitness and replaced Beth Morgan in the side. Haidee Tiffen is still injured for the hosts, so Aimee Mason continued to captain the side. Ros Kember was omitted in favour of Lucy Doolan, who played her first match of the tour. England opened the bowling with Katherine Brunt from the city end. She started strongly going for just one from her first over, bolwing in tandem with Isa Guha from the pavilion end. White Ferns captain Mason opened the batting with wicket keeper Katey Martin who was moved up the order from eight. The two kiwi openers got off to a strong start, scoring quickly as they looked to post a high total to defend with rain forecast and Mason hit a six in the fourth over off Guha. They continued to find the boundary and together posted 109 for the first wicket, hitting ten fours and one six. The hundred partnership came up from 89 balls in 59 minutes. Nicky Shaw was brought on first change for England for Brunt while Gunn replaced Guha at the other end after eight overs. Shaw bowled two overs and went for 17 runs and Steph Davies was brought into the attack in the 13th over. After the first drinks break Davies got the breakthrough England were desperate for as she bowled Mason for 68 on the first ball of the 17th over. She went onto complete a wicket maiden, the only maiden of England’s innings as Sara McGlashan replaced Mason in the middle. Laura Marsh, the off spinner, replaced Gunn at the pavilion end after the break. Edwards brought herself on in the 25th over and trapped McGlashan (12) leg before on the second ball of her second over and New Zealand were154-2. Edwards’ next ball was a no-ball and Cronin-Knight, coming in at four, got off the mark with a boundary. She added just one before she was caught at cover by Claire Taylor off Edwards’ bowling for five. As Sarah Tsukigawa headed to the crease the hosts were 167-3. The following over Tsukigawa was caught behind by Sarah Taylor off Marsh’s bowling without scoring. With New Zealand 168-4, Amy Satterthwaite headed out to the middle. She made two before being run out as a result of miscommunication between the batters. Martin, on strike, didn’t move and Edwards knocked the bails off from a throw in by Davies as Satterthwaite went for a run that wasn’t there. Nicola Browne joined Martin who was unbeaten on 70. Gunn came back into the attack in the 35th over and claimed the wicket of Martin, clean-bowling her for 79. Brunt was brought back on in the 39th over from the city end to bowl her second spell at Browne and Beth McNeil who came in at eight. In the 44th over Gunn bowled McNeil for nine and New Zealand were 216-7 as Sophie Devine headed out. As the wind picked up and black clouds loomed overhead New Zealand’s lower order continued to score putting extra pressure on England’s bowlers. Edwards bowled Devine for 12 in the 47th over, bringing Lucy Doolan to the crease. In the final over Browne was run out for 34 and Rachel Candy joined Doolan to see New Zealand through to 258-9 from 50 overs. England’s bowlers gave away 30 extras throughout their innings. The pick of England’s bowlers was captain Edwards who took 3-47 from her quota of ten overs. Gunn took 2-48 from ten and Davies and Marsh took one apiece. As the players took to the field after the interval, the rain started and play was abandoned without a ball being bowled in the second innings. The final ODI in the series will be played tomorrow. © ECB