IPL 2021: Phase 2 Preview: All you need to Know
The IPL 2021 season had been halted mid-way due to the insurgence of Covid-19 cases among the participating teams. The last match was played on the 2nd of May between Punjab Kings and Delhi Capitals. IPL 2021 is due to resume on the 19th of September 2021, with the final being played on 15th of October 2021.
Before the suspension of IPL 2021, Delhi Capitals were the table toppers with 6 wins to their name in 8 matches. Chennai Super Kings were placed at the second position on points table with 5 wins in 7 games. Royal Challengers Bangalore were sitting at the third position also with 5 wins but a lower net run rate than Chennai Super Kings. Mumbai Indians got hold off the fourth spot with 4 wins. Sunrisers Hyderabad had a poor outing in the first phase of the IPL 2021 season as they occupied the bottom spot with only 1 win in 7 matches.
Looking for some of the best information and predictions, on phase two of the IPL 2021, then look no further than Cricket Baazigar Tips
Top Performers in the first phase of IPL 2021:
Top Run Scorers:
Delhi Capital’s Shikhar Dhawan was the top run scorer in the first phase of IPL 2021 with 380 runs under his belt at an average of 54.28 and an astonishing strike rate of 134.27.
Punjab Kings’ skipper KL Rahul was the second best run scorer with 331 runs to his name in 7 matches at an average of 66.20 and a brilliant strike rate of 136.21.
Top Wicket Takers:
Harshal Patel of Royal Challengers Bangalore was the highest wicket taker with 17 scalps to his name at a bowling average of 15.11.
Rajasthan Royal’s Chris Morris was the second highest wicket taker with 14 scalps to his name at a bowling average of 16.00
Key Players not featuring in the second phase of IPL 2021:
1. Pat Cummins: Kolkata Knight Rider’s star bowler Pat Cummins is set to miss the remainder of IPL 2021 due to fatherhood duties. His wife is due to deliver a baby in September-October. KKR will dearly miss the pacer in the squad.
2. Jos Buttler: Buttler will not feature in the second phase of IPL 2021 due to personal reasons. Buttler’s move will surely impact the batting combination of Rajasthan Royal’s top order.
3. Adam Zampa: Zampa has withdrawn from the remainder of the IPL season after being named in the Australian team for T20 World Cup.
4. Riley Meredith: After a glorious BBL 2020-2021 season, Meredith had joined the ranks of Punjab Kings. Although he could not perform to his potential in the first phase of IPL 2021, him missing out is a huge blow to Punjab Kings bowling unit.
5. Daniel Sams: The RCB’s attacking all-rounder has decided to withdraw from IPL 2021, citing mental health issues.
6. Jofra Archer: The fast bowling magician of Rajasthan Royals will be missing out on the second phase of IPL 2021 due to an elbow injury. It only weakens the prospects of Rajasthan Royals in the tournament.
7. Ben Stokes: The star all-rounder Stokes will also be missing out on the second phase of IPL 2021 after taking an indefinite break from cricket due to mental health issues.
Prospects of various participating teams in the second phase of IPL 2021:
1. Rajasthan Royals: The men in pink have won only 3 out of the 7 matches played so far and occupy the 5th spot in IPL 2021. They will be missing out on the services of Englishmen including Jos Buttler, Ben Stokes and Jofra Archer. The trio form an indispensable part of the Rajasthan Royals unit and the men in pink will find it difficult to make it to the playoffs stage.
2. Sunrisers Hyderabad: SRH had a forgettable outing in the first phase of IPL 2021. They lost 6 out of 7 matches played. The poor performances also led to a captaincy change midway through the tournament. The Kane Williamson led side will have to come out with magical performances to hope for a playoffs spot.
3. Kolkata Knight Riders: Having lost 5 out of 7 matches played, KKR were in all sorts of bother in the first phase of IPL 2021. They currently occupy the 7th spot on points table and will have to work very hard in order to claim a place in the playoffs.
4. Punjab Kings: Occupying the 6th spot on points table, Punjab Kings could emerge triumphant in only 3 out of 8 matches played. With the services of Dawid Malan and Chris Jordan in doubt, Punjab Kings have a tough road ahead in the second phase of IPL 2021.
5. Chennai Super Kings: After a dismal outing in IPL 2020, Chennai Super Kings have bounced back well in the IPL 2021. They are comfortably placed at the second position on points table with 5 wins in 7 matches played. The MS Dhoni led side are certain to enter the playoffs race.
6. Mumbai Indians: After a brilliant display in IPL 2021, Mumbai Indians had been hot and cold in the first phase of IPL 2021. They have won 4 matches so far in IPL 2021 and are sitting at the fourth spot on points table. With a strong batting lineup including Suryakumar Yadav, Rohit Sharma, Ishan Kishan and Hardik Pandya; Mumbai Indians are very much capable of taking the teams by storm in the remainder of IPL 2021.
7. Royal Challengers Bangalore: At the time of IPL 2021 suspension, Royal Challengers Bangalore occupied the third spot on points table with 5 wins in 7 matches. The Virat Kohli led side have looked extremely dangerous with the new batting and bowling combinations. They have roped in the Sri Lankan star all-rounder Wanindu Hasaranga for the second phase of IPL 2021. The team looks very balanced on paper and are likely to proceed to the playoffs without any hassle.
8. Delhi Capitals: Delhi Capitals were simply unstoppable during the first phase of IPL 2021. With both the openers firing, the middle order got enough time to capitalize on the start and make runs for their team. Delhi Capitals occupied the first position on points table before the suspension of IPL 2021. They will surely give a headache to the competing teams in the remainder of IPL 2021.
Players to look out for in IPL 2021:
1. Wanindu Hasaranga:
Wanindu Hasaranga has become an indispensable part of the Sri Lankan cricket setup. He has produced multiple match winning performances for his team. He has been roped in as a replacement for Adam Zampa. Wanindu Hasaranga is a brilliant all-rounder who can cut the run flow with the ball and score the important runs whenever needed. He is flexible with the position he bats at and he will certainly be one of the players to look out for in IPL 2021.
2. Glenn Phillips:
The 24 year Kiwi Wicket-keeper batsman has been drafted by Rajasthan Royals in place of Jos Buttler. Phillips played tremendously well in the previous Kiwi summer and he is also coming on the back of thrilling performances in The Hundred. He can hit the long ball and is very much capable of turning the tables around on any particular day.
3. AB De Villiers:
AB De Villers is the backbone of RCB’s top order. He scored plentiful runs in the first phase of IPL 2021 at an astonishing batting average of 51.75. His experience and wits will certainly help RCB dominate the opposition teams in IPL 2021.
4. Tim David:
Tim David has been drafted by RCB after seeing him perform superbly in various cricket competitions around the world. David was spectacular in the previous BBL 2020-2021 season and also produced significant performances in the recently conducted PSL 2021. He will certainly be a player to look out for in IPL 2021.
5. Rashid Khan:
Sunrisers Hyderabad’s Rashid Khan picked up 10 wickets in the first phase of IPL 2021 at a bowling average of 17.20. His consistency over the years has lifted Hyderabad’s campaign several times. His presence and experience is itself a huge boost to the prospects of SRH
©Cricket World 2021