Squads announced for Ireland v India T20i Series
Cricket Ireland has today announced a 14-player squad for Ireland Men’s T20 International series against India to be played at Malahide on 26 and 28 June 2022.
The first match is sold out, while the second match has only a limited number of tickets available.
The squad named for the two-match T20I series against India includes call-ups for two of the North West Warriors squad - top-order batter Stephen Doheny and pace bowler Conor Olphert. Both players were recently handed retainer contracts by Cricket Ireland.
Doheny, 23, plays his club cricket with Merrion and is the current leading run-scorer in the Inter-Provincial T20 Trophy competition with 158 runs at an average of 52.67, with a highest score of 74*. Doheny has all scored valuable runs at the top of the order in the 50-over inter-provincial competition, with 146 runs at 36.50 with a highest score of 97.
Olphert, 25, plays for Bready at club level, and while he made his List A debut in 2020, the current season has been his most eye-catching. The pace bowler, renowned for his pace and bounce, was taken as a net bowler on Ireland Men’s tour to the UAE on early 2021. He has claimed 6 wickets at 19.17 in the Inter-Provincial T20 Trophy so far and has also bagged 6 wickets in the 50-over competition.
Ireland Men’s T20I squad for India series
Andrew Balbirnie (Captain), Mark Adair, Curtis Campher, Gareth Delany, George Dockrell, Stephen Doheny, Josh Little, Andrew McBrine, Barry McCarthy, Conor Olphert, Paul Stirling, Harry Tector, Lorcan Tucker, Craig Young.
Andrew White, Chair of National Men’s Selectors, said:
“There aren’t many better challenges for a new national coach to have than to start your tenure against the world’s number one-ranked T20I side, India. Heinrich [Malan] has been working hard since his arrival in Ireland, criss-crossing the island, getting to know the players and familiarising himself with the growing depth of talent we have here – and it’s this growing depth of talent that has made a challenging selection process for the first fixtures of the men’s home season.
“The T20I squad features a familiar core to the squad, but it’s pleasing to see a number of new faces earn their call-ups in Stephen Doheny and Conor Olphert. Both Warriors’ players have impressed at inter-provincial level this season with consistent performances, while Doheny has also come off the back of a good tour of Namibia with the Ireland Wolves. Olphert has bowled quickly, particularly on good wickets at Comber last month, and his selection gives as an opportunity to look at him as a tactical option given what lies ahead for the rest of the year.
“As always, there are numerous players who could probably consider themselves unlucky not to make these squads but runs and wickets are the currency we look for and the selectors believe we have picked squads that recognise and reward consistent form and performance on the field.”
India’s T20I squad
Hardik Pandya (Captain), Bhuvneshwar Kumar (vice-captain), Ishan Kishan, Ruturaj Gaikwad, Sanju Samson, Suryakumar Yadav, Venkatesh Iyer, Deepak Hooda, Rahul Tripathi, Dinesh Karthik (wicket-keeper), Yuzvendra Chahal, Axar Patel, Ravi Bishnoi, Harshal Patel, Avesh Khan, Arshdeep Singh, Umran Malik
IRELAND MEN’S HOME FIXTURE SCHEDULE FOR 2022
Ireland Men v India Men T20I series
- Sunday 26 June: Ireland v India, 1st T20I (Malahide)
- Tuesday 28 June: Ireland v India, 2nd T20I (Malahide)
Ireland Men v New Zealand Men series
- Sunday 10 July: Ireland v New Zealand, 1st ODI (Malahide)
- Tuesday 12 July: Ireland v New Zealand, 2nd ODI (Malahide)
- Friday 15 July: Ireland v New Zealand, 3rd ODI (Malahide)
- Monday 18 July: Ireland v New Zealand, 1st T20I (Stormont)
- Wednesday 20 July: Ireland v New Zealand, 2nd T20I (Stormont)
- Friday 22 July: Ireland v New Zealand, 3rd T20I (Stormont)
Ireland Men v South Africa Men T20I series
- Wednesday 3 August: Ireland v South Africa, 1st T20I (Bristol)
- Friday 5 August: Ireland v South Africa, 2nd T20I (Bristol)
Ireland Men v Afghanistan T20I series
- Tuesday 9 August: Ireland v Afghanistan, 1st T20I (Stormont)
- Thursday 11 August: Ireland v Afghanistan, 2nd T20I (Stormont)
- Friday 12 August: Ireland v Afghanistan, 3rd T20I (Stormont)
- Monday 15 August: Ireland v Afghanistan, 4th T20I (Stormont)
- Wednesday 17 August: Ireland v Afghanistan, 5th T20I (Stormont)