< >
CricketWorld.com, Latest Cricket News & Results

LV= Insurance County Championship 2022 Round 2 Day 2 : April 15th - Latest News, Scores and Match Reports

View from the away dressing room at the Emirates Riverside
View from the away dressing room at the Emirates Riverside
©Cricket World / John Mallett

Here is all the latest news, scores and match report updates from the LV= Insurance County Championship 2022 Round 2 Day 2: April 15th

(Thursday - Day One Roundup - click here)

Friday April 15th

Division One

Kent vs Lancashire, Canterbury

England’s Zak Crawley hit 54 for Kent on his return to the LV= Insurance County Championship, but late wickets from Lancashire’s Matt Parkinson reduced the hosts to 133 for three on day two of their game at Canterbury.

Parkinson claimed three for 39, leaving Kent 373 behind at stumps, with their top scorer Ben Compton unbeaten on 60.

Earlier Steven Croft hit 155 and Phil Salt 97 as Lancashire posted 506 all out.

After the first four sessions were dominated by batters, Hamid Qadri took career best figures, claiming six for 129 despite having suffered a hand injury that had forced him off the field at the end of day one, the visitors losing their last five wickets for 40 runs.

Lancashire resumed on 344 for 4, with Croft on 113 and Salt on 33 and they steadily ticked off milestones during a morning session largely bereft of tension.

Salt reached 50 with a single off Qadri and Croft got to 150 glancing a single from the same bowler, only to get out one run short of his career best, when Qadri had him caught behind.

It was Kent’s sole wicket of the morning, Lancashire reaching 466 for five at lunch, but Qadri struck again with the second ball of the afternoon session, when he lured Salt into an attempt to clear the boundary and was caught just inside the rope by Daniel Bell-Drummond.

Qadri then drew an edge from Luke Wood, who was caught in the slips by Darren Stevens for 14 and he claimed his fourth victim when Tom Bailey tried to loft him over mid on and was caught by Jordan Cox for a duck. When Hasan Ali cut the next ball to Zak Crawley at first slip Qadri had his first five-wicket haul for the hosts, but Matt Parkinson steered the hat-trick ball past the slips for a single.

Parkinson was then hit on the helmet when he ducked into a Nathan Gilchrist delivery but he and Danny Lamb steered Lancashire past 500 with a useful last-wicket stand of 31 before the latter was bowled trying to charge Qadri.

The start of Kent’s innings saw Lancashire react to every unsuccessful delivery with synchronised anguish, but their initial excitement was quelled as Ben Compton and Crawley batted through the rest of the afternoon session to reach 51 for 0 at tea.

Crawley swept Parkinson to the boundary to reach his half-century, but when Compton nudged the same bowler for a single, Crawley was bowled by Parkinson’s next ball, ending an opening stand of 109.

Bell-Drummond survived two loud lbw appeals before Parkinson bowled him with an unplayable delivery for two. He then pinned Tawanda Muyeye lbw for 6, leaving night-watchman Qadri to survive three overs and finish not out for two.

Kent’s Hamid Qadri said: “It was tough work actually, the first day was a long toil, the second day I got my rewards. Basically I just stuck at it, backed my best ball and gave the seamers a break from this end.

“The great man Stevo (Darren Stevens) suggested I should change ends and then it was a different ball game compared to from the top (Nackington Road) end.

“Bowling in Canterbury as an off spinner is pretty tough, not many guys have got five-fors or even six-fors, so I was really proud to go out there and do a job for the team.”


Lancashire’s Phil Salt said: “On getting out for 97) It was bittersweet. 99 times out of a hundred you’d put it out of the ground, it’s a long hop really so to hit it to cow after doing all the hard work on debut was obviously very disappointing, but we’re in a good position, we did exactly what we set out to do at the start of the game, so I’m just happy to make a contribution.

“Three runs doesn’t define a day but a hundred on debut would have felt very special for myself so I am gutted not to get there.”

(Asked if he’d play the same shot again, straight after lunch): “Yeah definitely, it’s a long hop, isn’t it! As I said earlier, 99 times out of a hundred it goes ten rows back.

“It’s spinning a bit, there’s quite a bit of rough going up that way and as the game goes on it’ll get a little more abrasive, so it will get harder and harder to play on.”

Somerset vs Essex, The Cooper Associates County Ground

Craig Overton returned career-best figures to help restore Somerset pride on day two of the LV=Insurance County Championship First Division match against Essex at the Cooper Associates Ground in Taunton.

Recently returned from the Caribbean, the England seamer claimed 7-57 as the hosts, shot out for 109 on day one, staged a fightback of sorts to dismiss Essex for 180 and concede a first-innings deficit of 70.

Yet any thoughts of a concerted recovery were quickly dispelled when Somerset's top-order batting suffered another cataclysmic failure. Matt Renshaw raised a stubborn 45 and Steve Davies made 51 as they were dismissed for 154 in 60.2 overs. Set 84 to win, Essex reached the close on three for the loss of Nick Browne, eminently well-placed to wrap up an inside-the-distance victory on day three.

Shane Snater did his best to force a conclusion inside two days, taking 6-36 from 14.4 overs, while Sam Cook weighed in with 2-32 to ensure Essex maintained the upper hand.

Second best so far, Somerset at least restored lost pride during a morning session in which Essex, resuming on 109-2, surrendered their last eight wickets for just 71 runs in the face of a testing examination at the hands of Overton and Peter Siddle. But the feelgood factor proved short-lived as the cider county's well-documented frailties with the bat resurfaced.

Required to demonstrate altogether greater resolve, Somerset made a lamentable start to their second innings, openers Tom Lammonby and Ben Green taking the line of least resistance and departing inside10 overs. Probing uncertainly outside off stump, Lammonby edged a slanting delivery from Sam Cook to Alastair Cook at first slip, while Green fell lbw to Snater to heighten a growing sense of Deja-vu among those watching on.

Worse followed, veteran campaigner James Hildreth remaining rooted in his crease and being bowled by a ball from Snater that left him with the score on 23, and there was something equally tentative about Tom Abell's dismissal, Somerset's skipper pushing half forward and being caught at the wicket for 12.

There was a degree of inevitability to proceedings as Lewis Goldsworthy was then straightened up by Snater and pouched by Wheater, at which point Somerset were 60-5, still 11 runs short of making Essex bat again. That they succeeded in averting a repeat of last week's innings defeat at the hands of Hampshire, was attributable, in large part, to Renshaw, the overseas signing serving up obduracy aplenty to at least take the contest into a third day. A half century appeared his for the asking when he was rapped on the knee-roll by Sam Cook and adjudged lbw.

Dropped by Alastair Cook at slip off the bowling of Simon Harmer on 19, Davies made good his escape to raise 50 from 96 balls. But Essex had the last laugh, Snater removing Lewis Gregory, Overton and Jack Leach in quick succession and Mark Steketee bowling Davies in the act of driving shortly before the close.

Rested at the behest of England and forced to sit out the opening round of fixtures, Overton certainly made a difference on his return to action. Having seen their team come off second best in each and every session so far this season, cider county supporters must have feared the worst when Essex resumed their first innings level-pegging, but with eight wickets in hand.

Finding Taunton in spring-time more to his liking than the lifeless tracks he encountered on the recent winter tour to West Indies, Overton set about redressing the balance in magnificent fashion. Peter Siddle had already set the tone for the morning session when accounting for Alastair Cook with the first ball of the day, the former England captain edging to slip without adding to his overnight 59.

Nightwatchman Sam Cook was next to go, shouldering arms to a ball that nipped back at him as Overton went to work from the river end. Intent upon cementing his place in the England set-up, Dan Lawrence appeared visibly upset when adjudged lbw to a Siddle delivery that looked destined to clip the top of off stump, while Matt Critchley became the latest batsman to fail to reach double figures, pushing hard at a length ball from the relentlessly accurate Overton and offering a chance to Renshaw at second slip.

Adam Rossington also came and went quickly, paying the penalty for playing across the line to a ball from Overton that nipped back off the seam. Now operating from the Marcus Trescothink Stand end, Overton further undermined the visitors, inducing Wheater to waft outside off stump and nick behind.

Fired up and performing at the very peak of his game, Overton clearly had his sights set on a career-best return and Snater duly obliged, seeking to evade a short-pitched delivery and gloving a catch behind. Having eclipsed the 6-24 he took on this same ground against Cardiff MCCU in 2019, Overton was unfortunate not to bag an eighth victim, Simon Harmer twice surviving bellicose appeals for lbw.

The honour of wrapping up the innings fell to Gregory, who pinned Mark Seketee in his crease, leaving Harmer stranded on 25 not out. It may have been Somerset's morning, but Harmer had nevertheless played a key role in establishing a more than handy first-innings advantage.

Essex head coach Anthony McGrath said: "We'd have settled for needing 83 to win the game on the third day before the start. It's not been easy batting out there and winning the toss was definitely important. There was a lot of playing and missing the night before and we knew it would be difficult when we came back this morning. That's exactly how it turned out, with the ball still doing a bit. In the end, we're happy with the position we're in.

"I think the decision to select Shane Snater was a good one. He bowled well last week, carried that on here and deserved his six wickets. Jamie Porter has done really well for us over the past three or four seasons, but he had a slight injury and Shane made the most of his opportunity. It will be tricky chasing that total, but we have to back ourselves."


Somerset seamer Craig Overton said: "I still think it's possible to bowl Essex out for under 81 and win the game, but we are going to have to bowl really well. Alastair Cook is the key to it really and, if he bats for 30 or 40 minutes in the morning, it's going to be very difficult for us. But if we can get him out early, like we did today, then we might be in with a chance. Once he was gone, Essex made only about another 70 between them, so we know what we have to do. Personally, it was good to be back at Taunton and bowling in cooler conditions and on a pitch with some green on it. But you still have to bowl a good line and put the ball in the right areas and I felt I did that better here than in the West Indies. It's a pity we've under-performed with the bat and it's not for the want of trying to put it right. We cannot think too much about what has gone before, but need to work hard on our game and focus on finding the improvements we need to make."

Gloucestershire vs Yorkshire, Bristol County Ground

Harry Brook’s fifth first class century guided Yorkshire into a strong position on the second day of the LV= County Championship match against Gloucestershire at the Seat Unique Stadium in Bristol. 

Dropped on 99, the 23-year-old former England Under-19 captain was dismissed for 101 as his side replied the hosts’ first innings score of 227 with 334 for eight to lead by 107. 

Adam Lyth hit 54 and there were useful contributions from Dawid Malan (39), Harry Duke (34), Dom Bess (36) and Jordan Thompson (31 not out) 

But it was Brook, who held the innings together after Yorkshire had slipped to 135 for four, still trailing by 92 runs. His hundred came off 161 balls, with 11 fours and a six. 

Seamers Ajeet Singh Dale and Josh Shaw claimed two wickets each and there was a tidy effort from left-arm spinner Zafar Gohar, who had figures of one for 43 from 18 tight overs as Gloucestershire’s bowlers stuck to their task in warm sunshine. 

Yorkshire have won all four previous matches in which Brook has reached three figures and will be optimistic of keeping the sequence going against opponents still coming to terms with a return to First Division cricket in the Championship. 

Brook needed just one moment of fortune. On the brink of his ton, he edged seamer Ben Charlesworth low to second slip where Tom Lace spilled the chance, diving to his left. 

Yorkshire began the day on 37 without loss and had added only four when George Hill fenced at a short ball from Singh-Dale and edged through to wicketkeeper James Bracey. 

Soon it was 48 for two as James Wharton shouldered arms to a delivery from Ryan Higgins that nipped back off the seam and bowled him for four. 

After a watchful spell, Lyth and Malan looked to increase the scoring rate and both looked in good form on an excellent batting surface. 

Lyth moved to his fifty with a swept boundary off Zafar, having faced 125 deliveries and hit 9 fours and a six. 

But, with the total on 115, the experienced opener drove at a wide ball from Charlesworth and was well caught at slip by the diving Miles Hammond. 

The lunch score was 129 for three. With six runs added, Malan was bowled by Ajeet on the back foot, edging onto his leg stump. 

Brook and Duke needed to rebuild the innings as did so with increasing confidence, putting together a vital partnership of 91 in 29 overs. 

Both might have been run out in a mix-up over a quick single with the total on 146 and Gloucestershire were made to rue not taking either opportunity. 

Brook went on to an 84-ball half-century before Duke, who had played equally well, attempted to dab a ball from Zahar through slip and nicked a catch to Bracey. 

By tea, Yorkshire had reached 239 for five and, with a single added, Gloucestershire took the second new ball. 

It had little effect, Brook picking up a delivery from Higgins over mid-wicket for six as he and the typically positive Bess added 71. 

But Gloucestershire refused to lie down, Shaw striking twice as Bess edged a drive through to Bracey and Brook saw a back foot defensive shot send the ball dribbling onto his stumps. 

Graeme van Buuren had Matt Fisher caught behind to complete an impressive fightback. 

Asked about his England prospects after a fifth first class hundred for Yorkshire, Harry Brook said: “I’m not to trying to think about that at all. I’m just trying to score as many runs as I can for Yorkshire and see how far we can get 

“I was timing it well until I got to 99 - and then didn’t time one for five overs! 

“It’s a good pitch, but there’s still quite a bit in it for the bowlers. There’s a little bit of bounce and seam with the new ball. If we get the ball in the right areas tomorrow, we’re definitely in the game.” 


Gloucestershire left-arm spinner Zafar Gohar said: “The pitch was a bit slower than on the first day and, although we bowled some good balls to take wickets, it was tough. 

“We need to take the last two quickly tomorrow and then make some big runs. 

“There wasn’t much spin in the pitch for me, so the plan was for me to keep things tight and bowl as many dot balls as possible.”


Surrey vs Hampshire, Kia Oval

Jordan Clark enjoyed more success against Hampshire to help put Surrey in a strong position after two days of their LV County Championship match at the Kia Oval.

The 31-year-old seamer took career-best figures of 6 for 21 in their innings victory against Hampshire last year and he struck with his first ball when they replied to Surrey’s 467.

A yorker-length delivery proved too much for Joe Weatherley and Clark followed it up after tea when he removed the obdurate opener Ian Holland for 23.

With Jamie Overton and off-spinner Will Jacks, who earlier made a rapid 72, also picking up two wickets, Hampshire were reduced to 152 for seven when bad light ended play with 6.2 overs to be bowled.

It is going to take a big effort from Hampshire if they are to avoid a repeat of the heavy defeat they suffered at the Oval a year ago, but Surrey will be without their spearhead Kemar Roach for the rest of the game.

The West Indian produced a brilliant delivery which angled in and straightened to remove James Vince for one after switching to the Vauxhall End, but he pulled up clutching his hamstring after bowling two balls of his sixth over and needed a stretcher to get back to the changing room. Roach, 33, will have a scan on Saturday but his five-game spell early-season spell looks to be over.

Despite the early loss of Weatherley, Hampshire had 43 on the board in the sixth over when Overton took over from Roach and struck with his third ball which was  athletically caught by Ben Foakes diving in front of first slip to remove Nick Gubbins.

Only three runs had been added after Vince’s dismissal when Liam Dawson was bowled by a fine ball from Overton which angled in and straightened, leaving Hampshire 52 for four.

Holland and Ben Brown took the score to 83 when Holland played across a straight one from Clark, who should have been celebrating again but Rory Burns shelled a straightforward chance at slip to reprieve Organ off the next delivery.

Brown played some of his trademark leg-side pull shots in an attractive 49 but Jacks bowled him through the gate and had Felix Organ taken at short leg in his next over as Surrey, watched by a crowd of more than 4,000, ended the day in control.

Earlier, Ollie Pope made 127 and Jacks produced a blistering cameo before Surrey were dismissed for 467 in mid-afternoon.

After taking only three wickets on the first day, Hampshire bowled much better with Keith Barker taking four for 80 and the impressive Kyle Abbott three for 82.

Pope had added 14 to his overnight score when he drove at Barker in his second over and was caught at second slip. He faced 215 balls and hit 12 fours and a six.

Abbott picked up his first wicket when Ben Foakes, who helped Pope put on 107 for the fourth wicket, played on and he also removed Clark, who lost his middle stump, and Overton in successive overs.

The arrival of last man James Taylor with the score on 419 was the signal for Jacks to go on the attack. He struck four sixes, all off James Fuller, and six boundaries in his 72 off 86 balls before Barker trapped him in front as he swung across the line. The last wicket pair had added 48 in eight overs but Hampshire’s struggles were only just beginning.

Surrey all-rounder Will Jacks said, “We’re happy with that. The plan was to bat long and then have a go at them with the ball, which we’ve done. I was able to take my time when I started my innings and then when the tail came in I copied what [Warwickshire’s Michael] Burgess did against us last week which was take my chances. It was really good fun but playing like that is something that comes naturally to me.

“The two wickets I got were awesome. I bowled 37 overs last week and got a wicket with my last ball so it was nice to get two proper wickets. There’s a nice bit of rough which I targeted. Tomorrow I’ll try and execute exactly the same plan as well as I can.”

Hampshire fast bowler Kyle Abbott, who took three wickets, said, “It has been a rough couple of days. Surrey bowled pretty well and got some genuine wickets so we can’t be too disappointed. We have got a bit of a hole to climb out of but the Oval wicket tends to get better to bat on so hopefully tomorrow with the sun out we can put some good partnerships together. Hopefully if they are a bowler down it will make it a bit easier for us too.

We are drawing on experiences from last season when we had to hang in during a couple of games. We know this is only the second game of the season we realise how important it could be come September. The boys are still in good spirits, and there is another opportunity to rectify what’s happened.”


Division Two

Nottinghamshire vs Glamorgan, Trent Bridge

Glamorgan edged into a first-innings lead of 52 over Nottinghamshire on day two of their LV= Insurance County Championship match at Trent Bridge after a ninth-wicket partnership of 106 between Timm van der Gugten and James Weighell helped the visitors finish the day on 354 for nine.

Despite half-centuries from skipper David Lloyd and former Kent captain Sam Northeast, who made an impressively dogged 85, Glamorgan had slipped to 248 for eight just after tea, still 54 behind.

Lloyd, who was caught off a no-ball before he had scored on the first evening, shared a third-wicket stand of 117 with Northeast but Glamorgan lost their next six wickets for 85 and seemed to have squandered a good platform.

However, with Netherlands international Van der Gugten unbeaten on 56 they finished the day not only with four batting bonus points but a clear advantage at the halfway stage of the match. 

Brett Hutton, who removed Australian Test star Marnus Labuschagne for just three, dismissed Lloyd for 76. Northeast, one of the most accomplished county players without an England cap, looked set for a 26th career first-class century before falling to the ball of the day from South African seamer Dane Paterson.

Glamorgan, 33 without loss overnight, suffered two setbacks in the first five overs of the morning, in which James Pattinson registered the first wicket of his third spell with Nottinghamshire when he had Andrew Salter caught at first slip.

His dismissal ushered in Labuschagne for his first bat of the season but the anticipated duel between the world No 1 Test batsman and his former Australia teammate Pattinson did not materialise. 

Instead, Pattinson’s new-ball partner Hutton dismissed Labuschagne at the first attempt with a ball he felt safe to leave but which nipped back enough to strike him on the knee roll, plumb in front.

Lloyd and Northeast weathered the storm not only to guide the visitors to lunch at 130 for two but to extend their partnership into the afternoon before Hutton drew Lloyd into a stroke that he edged to second slip. Ben Duckett, the fielder denied by Pattinson’s overstepping when Lloyd survived on the first evening, took the catch.

Northeast, who played two matches on loan for Nottinghamshire last season at the end of his four years at Hampshire, lost more partners as young seamer Joey Evison struck in consecutive overs, removing Kiran Carlson and Chris Cooke with almost identical deliveries, both finding a thin outside edge through to wicketkeeper Tom Moores.

As Callum Taylor flashed at a ball from Dane Paterson to be caught at first slip, the balance was tipping towards Nottinghamshire, more so immediately after tea as Michael Naser was bowled off an inside edge by Evison before, in the next over, Paterson threaded a beauty through a narrow gap between bat and pad to bowl a bemused Northeast, who had barely erred in four and a half hours at the crease.

Nottinghamshire looked good for the first-innings lead but let their opponents off the hook as Weighell and Van der Gugten punished Pattinson in particular. The Aussie finished with undistinguished figures of one for 105 from 25 overs, only the sixth time in his career he has conceded more than 100 runs in an innings, with left-arm spinner Liam Patterson-White taking the last wicket of the day as Weighell was caught behind for 45.

Glamorgan batter Sam Northeast told BBC Sport Wales: “It was a good day in the end, especially that little partnership (Weighell and van der Gugten) at the end which swung things back into our favour a bit, though there’s a long way to go.

“It’s been a good game so far, pretty equally-matched, with two good days ahead of us.

“It was tricky at times batting and pretty tough, but nice to get a (personal) score on the board although I was disappointed not to go on to three figures.

“It felt good for a large part of the innings as (the pitch) flattened out a bit but they got it swinging and the ball started nipping again. We had a period exactly the same yesterday where we got it to swing.

“There’s definitely something in the wicket for our bowlers and we can take a bit of confidence from that, but that partnership at the end has swing momentum in our favour.”


Nottinghamshire bowling coach Kevin Shine said: “At 248 for eight we were in a strong position, but tail-enders are almost a thing of the past now and those guys played very, very well at the end. That was a really good partnership.

 “Our bowlers did not quite execute tonight but they will learn from that and there are still two days left in the game. And remember we have just won a game that most people thought might have been fizzling out before the guys found a way.

“It has been one of our poorer days for a year or so but that’s because we have set very high standards of ourselves. We have not quite reached those today but we will come back tomorrow morning and we work out how we are going to take the game forward.”

Durham vs Leicestershire, Riverside

Leicestershire dug in on day two of their LV= Insurance County Championship Division Two clash against Durham at the Riverside after the home posted 428 in their first innings.

David Bedingham's brilliant knock of 191 was the foundation of a strong first-innings total from the North-East outfit, while Ben Raine added a useful 51 not out. The visitors had work to do in response, and although it was slow going, half-centuries from Hassan Azad and Colin Ackermann defied the Durham bowlers with a stout defence in an unbroken partnership of 107 for the third wicket.

However, Leicestershire still trail the home side by 269 runs with eight wickets remaining in their first innings heading into day three.

Resuming on 356 for six, there was an air of ante-climax as Bedingham was only able to add seven runs to his overnight total, falling frustratingly short of a double-century. A delivery from Beuran Hendricks stuck in the wicket, prompting a loose straight drive that the left-arm bowler claimed with ease. Raine and Matthew Potts attempted to guide Durham towards maximum batting points, but Ackermann delivered four-straight dot balls in the 110th over to deny Raine the two runs the hosts required.

Durham continued their innings towards the lunch break with Raine and Potts combining for a stand of 61 for the eighth wicket, which was only undone by a sharp Will Davis delivery that kept low to remove Potts for 23. Raine grinded his way to his 13th first-class fifty to further frustrate his former club, but was left stranded as Oliver Gibson and Chris Rushworth were the final two wickets to fall in the Durham innings albeit with a competitive total of 428.

Leicestershire openers Azad and Sam Evans blunted the home side's new-ball attack as Rushworth, Potts and Raine were held in check. Azad, following his century against Worcestershire in the first week of the campaign, was measured in his approach and nullified the opening burst without issue.

The home side were forced to be patient for the breakthrough, which eventually came through Raine as he found seam movement off the pitch to find Evans' outside edge to allow Scott Borthwick to claim a routine catch at second slip. Rushworth prised out George Rhodes as Borthwick collected his second catch of the day, but Ackermann would provide a huge obstacle for Durham bowlers to overcome in the evening session as the Riverside pitch flattened out.

The Leicestershire captain combined with Azad to thwart the hosts with a fifty partnership, displaying great control and poise at the crease. A rare mistake by Ackermann on 34 was not punished by Ned Eckersley behind the stumps, who put down a catch on the leg-side off Potts.

Azad was rewarded for his resilience with a half-century, nurdling a Liam Trevaskis delivery into the leg-side to reach the milestone from 161 balls. Ackermann followed his team-mate past fifty to bounce back from a disappointing return against Worcestershire to leave his side well in the contest at the close after reaching the century stand for the third wicket.


Leicestershire coach Paul Nixon - “It was a pleasing day. We started well, which was so important. David Bedingham was playing beautifully and he could have taken the game properly away from us. I was delighted for Beuran to get his wicket because he worked so hard without much luck and it was massive for us. Hassan Azad and Colin Ackerman applied themselves brilliantly. We built nicely and it was a cracking partnership. We have to do the same thing in the morning, and keep repeating those basics. It’s a good pitch, there are no demons in it. Hassan has worked hard and is making the game look more simple. I’m delighted the hard work is paying off for him.”


Durham’s David Bedingham - "I think I have had a decent start, and I've been lucky with the type of wicket. I'll take the start that I've had this season and hope that it continues. I think I had a bit of a loss of concentration. I still hit it well, but it was a good catch by Hendricks. We went out there to get maximum batting points and try to get 500 on the board. Obviously that didn't happen, but I still think that we are in the drivers' seat. It was disappointing that we didn't get maximum batting points, but if you'd told us we would be 398-7 after 110 overs we would have taken it. It will be tough to get 20 wickets, but I think we have the new ball in the morning session of day three. Hopefully the guys can extract something from the wicket. They're still a long way behind our score so if we can put the pressure on and take early wickets you never know."

Derbyshire vs Sussex, The Incora County Ground

Sussex are facing an uphill task to avoid defeat following a spectacular collapse on the second day of the LV=Insurance County Championship match against Derbyshire at Derby.

After Derbyshire racked up 505 for 8 declared, Sussex imploded, losing 6 for 63, to be bowled out in the final over for 174, a daunting 331 behind.

Fast bowler Sam Conners claimed 3 for 47 and 19-year-old seamer Nick Potts marked his first-class debut by taking 3 for 43 including the wicket of captain Tom Haines who top scored with 41.

Haines had been the pick of his team’s attack with 1 for 35 from 18 overs, ending the third wicket stand of 292 between Shan Masood and Wayne Madsen, a Derbyshire record for any wicket against Sussex.

Masood scored a magnificent 239 from 340 balls and Madsen 112, his 32nd first-class hundred for Derbyshire, before all-rounder Alex Thomson struck a 49 ball 50.

Masood and Madsen had begun the second day as they ended the first, moving remorselessly on, to eclipse Derbyshire’s previous highest stand against Sussex of 274 between Billy Godleman and Luis Reece at Derby in 2019.

Madsen reached his century, surprisingly his first in the championship at Derby for six years, when he turned Jamie Atkins off his hip for his seventh four.

He drove Haines down the ground for another but the Sussex skipper got his reward for a probing spell from the Racecourse End by beating Madsen’s drive in the 16th over of the morning.

It was Sussex’s first success since before lunch on day one but they did not have to wait long for the next as four wickets fell for 27.

Leus du Plooy never looked comfortable and his attempt to drive James Coles over the top ended in the hands of Haines at mid off.

Reece was caught behind as he tried to carve Atkins and Masood’s superb innings finally ended in the next over.

His seven and a half hour masterclass in timing and placement was ended by a reverse sweep which looped into the gloves of Pakistan team mate Mohammed Rizwan.

Masood left to applause from the Sussex players and a standing ovation but if Sussex hoped his departure would signal a quick end to the innings they were disappointed.

Thomson pressed hard on the accelerator and with Anuj Dal, added 76 before the declaration left Sussex needing 356 to avoid the follow-on.

When Haines was dropped on eight at second slip by Madsen in the 2nd over, it threatened to prove costly as the openers scored freely but the dismissal of the captain sparked a collapse.

Haines was trapped half forward by Potts and after Tom Alsopp was caught behind down the leg side, Conners brought one back to pin Ali Orr lbw.

Chateshwar Pujara dabbed at a wide ball and Rizwan also edged one he did not need to play before Tom Clark charged Thomson and edged to slip.

Coles and Oli Carter showed more application but Potts brought one back to remove Coles and Steve Finn fell to Dal before Potts claimed his third victim.

A miserable day for Sussex ended when du Plooy struck with his third ball to leave Sussex with the prospect of following on in the morning.

Derbyshire batsman Wayne Madsen said: "That partnership will live long in my memory because it was a special day yesterday and then we followed it up today to put a decent total on the board.

"We've got the confidence in the batting line-up and belief in the dressing room at the moment and it showed in the first game at Lord's and in the first innings here.

"The scoreboard pressure it creates really gives the bowlers a lift and the boys delivered today. they really ran in and got enough out of the wicket to show there's enough in there to take 20 wickets."


Sussex head coach Ian Salisbury said: "We've been second best so far. Well played Shan Masood, that was one of the best innings I've seen in  a long time ably supported by Wayne (Madsen) as well so fair play to them, we've been outplayed for two days.

"That's a very good cricket wicket and there's no way we should be bowled out for 174. We are low on resources and have been unlucky with injuries etc but I don't want to make excuses, whatever 11 people go out there for Sussex they need to perform better."

On whether Derbyshire will enforce the follow on, he said: "They've earned the right to make that decision as late as possible, they don't have to tell us until about quarter-to-eleven tomorrow morning, that's fair play and I'm fully expecting them to put us back in."

©Cricket World 2022