New Zealand Lose Two Late Wickets After Bond Heroics

South Africa 226 (Gibbs 63, Bond 4-73, Martin 3-67) v New Zealand 41 for 2 after 13 overs in Johannesburg First Test of two New Zealand ended day one of the first Test against South Africa in Johannesburg two wickets down having earlier excelled in bowling their hosts out for a meagre 226, with Shane Bond picking up four wickets. With batting clearly difficult on a lively pitch, South Africa hit back with the dismissal of Michael Papps, caught by AB De Villiers off of Makhaya Ntini for two before Craig Cumming was trapped in front by Dale Steyn for 12. Stephen Fleming remained unbeaten on 22 from 16 balls while Bond, sent in as a night watchman, faced eight balls without scoring. Earlier, Jacques Kallis was caught behind off the first ball after lunch as New Zealand asserted their dominance taking five wickets before tea and following that up with the remaining five in the third session of play. Kallis, who made 29 and was dropped twice in the morning session, once by Iain O'Brien, who took the wicket with Brendon McCullum taking a good catch off an inside edge. Ashwell Prince (one) then had no answer to a Shane Bond delivery that rose at him, only managing to fend it to Fleming at slip with Herschelle Gibbs the third man to fall in the afternoon session. Early on, South African captain Graeme Smith and Hashim Amla fell to fast bowlers Chris Martin and Bond respectively as New Zealand dominated the opening session before Kallis was twice reprieved late on. Smith (one) was bowled off an inside edge by Bond before Amla edged a Chris Martin through to McCullum having made 12. South Africa's Gibbs and Kallis were then subdued with five maidens in a row from Jacob Oram and O'Brien before Gibbs relieved some pressure with a cover driven boundary off of O'Brien. Gibbs went on to reach a patient half-century, holding the South African's innings together with some sumptuous drives before he was well caught by Fleming for 63 from 126 balls. South Africa made painstaking progress, passing fifty in the 21st over with Gibbs the more circumspect of the pair. Kallis led a charmed life, being dropped by Papps and O'Brien shortly before lunch as New Zealand were unable to really hammer home their advantage. After tea, De Villiers steered Bond to Oram in the gully, with the all-rounder taking a sharp catch with De Villiers out for 33 and leave the South African tail exposed. Nel scored an entertaining 15 from 14 balls before he edged Bond to McCullum. Paul Harris was the next to fall, lbw to Daniel Vettori for three. Vettori's second wicket came when Mark Boucher (43) tried to loft him over the infield, but only found the top edge and Michael Papps took the catch. The final wicket came seven runs later when Steyn was caught by McCullum for Martin's third wicket after he had hit 13, with one four and one six leaving Ntini unbeaten without scoring. South Africa: Graeme Smith (c), Herschelle Gibbs, Hashim Amla, Jacques Kallis, Ashwell Prince, AB De Villiers, Mark Boucher (wk), Paul Harris, Andre Nel, Dale Steyn, Makhaya Ntini, New Zealand: Craig Cumming, Michael Papps, Stephen Fleming, Scott Styris, Ross Taylor, Jacob Oram, Brendon McCullum (wk), Dan Vettori (c), Shane Bond, Iain O'Brien, Chris Martin © Cricket World 2007