Olicanian Cricket Club
Address: Denton Road, Ilkley, West Yorkshire, LS29 0AA
Website: Click Here
Olicanian CC was formed in 1922 by the old boys of the Ilkley Grammar School. The name of the club was taken from the Roman name for Ilkley.
Initially the team played friendly matches only, at various venues in Ilkley, maintaining close links with the Grammar School thus ensuring a steady supply of players.
In 1949, the club moved its ground to the present location on Denton Road, next door to the Ilkley Lido, although the facilities at the time were very basic, with the changing rooms consisting of a bell tent and the tea room being made from an old fish hut!
Friendly fixtures continued to be played until 1975, when the decision was taken to play competitive league cricket and the club joined the Dales Council League, enjoying 12 successful years there with the 2nd XI winning the Cawthorne Cup in 1981 and again in 1984, the same year that both the 1st and 2nd teams won their respective league titles. The feat was repeated in 1987 and that year also saw the 1st XI making an unsuccessful appearance in the cup final.
In 1987 the club joined the Leeds and District League. The 2nd XI reached two Wood Cup finals in 1988 and 1996 and in 1998 the 2nd XI gained promotion.
Since the year 2000, the club has established itself in the Airedale and Wharfedale Senior Cricket League. The 1st XI currently operate in the C Division, after a yo-yo period of promotions (2005, 2007, 2009) and relegations (2006, 2008, 2012) in recent seasons.
The 2nd XI have plied their trade in the A Division of the 2nd team competition since 2010, after a string of promotions through the divisions. Last season saw them pull off a miraculous last-day ‘great escape’ to maintain their top division status.
We also operate a 3rd XI, playing on Sundays, who in 2011 were successful in winning not only their conference, but also the championship play-off final against local rivals Ilkley CC.
The junior section has expanded significantly in recent seasons too, with all ages represented from under-9 to under-15 for both boys and girls, ensuring that the club maintains close links to the community at all levels.
Off the field, the progress the club has made has been huge. 2011 saw the completion of an £80,000 revamp of the pavilion, and with the picturesque setting looking up over the famous ‘Cow and Calf’ rocks of Ilkley moor, the ground is now the envy of many other clubs in the area.
Significant progress has also been made on the square, and the addition of roll-on covers for the 2014 season will see even further improvement. We have also been fortunate enough to receive a £46,000 grant from Sport England’s ‘Preserving Playing Fields’ Scheme which will go towards levelling out and expanding the playing area.
2013 saw the club establish a link with All Saints Pre-School, who make use of our pavilion facilities through the week. This has already proved a mutually successful partnership, and allowed us to further to integrate with the local community.
The club has a thriving social scene, with regular events throughout the year, and welcomes new members of all cricketing abilities and none. We feel we have something to offer everyone and look forward to welcoming any new visitors over the course of the summer.