< >
CricketWorld.com, Latest Cricket News & Results

Royal London One-Day Cup 2021: All the Match Scores, Results, Reports and Scorecards for Saturday August 7th

Aaron Lilley (Leicestershire Foxes)
Aaron Lilley (Leicestershire Foxes)

Royal London One-Day Cup 2021: All the Match Scores, Results, Reports and Scorecards for Saturday August 7th

Royal London One Day Cup 2021 - Saturday August 7th


Leicestershire Foxes v Surrey (Upton Steel Ground , Leicester)

Leicestershire 253/9 (50 ov)  v Surrey 225/10 (38.5 ov) Leics won by 1 run (D/L)

Leicestershire pulled off a dramatic and unlikely victory by one run after Surrey lost three wickets in the final over of a rain-affected Royal London Cup match that had seemed to be theirs for the taking.

Veteran Rikki Clarke appeared to have steered an inexperienced Surrey into a share of the Group One lead with Glamorgan and Somerset when he hit a six off the final ball of the penultimate over as they chased a revised target of 227 from 39 overs, leaving them four to win from the final six deliveries with three wickets in hand.

But in an extraordinary climax, Clarke - who should have been run out twice in that last but one over - was leg before to Ben Mike for 82 with five balls left before Dan Moriarty was run out and Matthew Dunn bowled from consecutive deliveries, giving Leicestershire the spoils with one ball to spare.

Earlier, former Durham leg spinner Cameron Steel took four 33 on his Surrey debut, conceding no boundaries in his 10 overs as Leicestershire, having been put in, made 253 for nine from 50, including a List A-best 75 by opener Harry Swindells, 41 from Arron Lilley and 33 from Ed Barnes.

Surrey, already deprived of 11 players because of The Hundred and with three in the England Test squad, Surrey were without two more experienced players in Hashim Amla, who has a groin injury, and Mark Stoneman, left out after feeling ill.

But after Ryan Patel’s 52 off 33 balls had put them in the driving seat, Leicestershire’s bowlers bounced back with seven wickets in the last 11 overs, Mike finishing with three for 34, 16-year-old leg spinner Rehan Ahmed two for 25 and Barnes two for 34.

Swindells had done a fine job in the anchor role for the Foxes, hitting five fours to go with an early six over midwicket off Matt Dunn, holding the innings together for 36 overs before top-edging Steel to short fine leg.

Rishi Patel fell into a trap when he was caught on the hook for 20, but apart from Lilley’s 28-ball blitz as the second wicket put on 57 in 53 balls, there was no substantial support for Swindells and it was only through the late industry of Ed Barnes, who made 33 from 36 balls largely in singles, that the Foxes’ total limped past 250 with two many batsmen giving their wickets away carelessly.

Steel, who dismissed Lewis Hill, George Rhodes and Lewis Kimber as well as Swindells, should have had a maiden five-for but spilled a low return catch offered by Mike.

The 16-year-old Ahmed bowled his leg spin beautifully, quickly trapping Patel leg before after the opener had hit eight fours and two sixes in a 27-ball half-century that saw him dropped on the midwicket boundary by Lilley on 48. Steel had been caught at midwicket without scoring.

Ben Geddes was stumped going down the track to off-spinner Rhodes, and Surrey began to wobble after Jamie Smith - captain in Amla’s absence - was caught at deep midwicket for 34 and Nico Reifer and Tim David were both caught behind.

The drama gathered pace in the penultimate over, which began with Surrey needing 13 from 12 balls, when Clarke should have been run out twice by bowler Gavin Griffiths and McKerr was caught at deep midwicket before Clarke slammed the last ball over Griffiths’ head for six - but the best was still to come.

Leicestershire’s Harry Swindells, who top-scored with 75, said:

“We thought we were about 25 under par with our score so to win by one run is amazing. The boys showed a lot of character.

“All the boys stood up. Benny (Mike) was brilliant at the end and for Rehan (Ahmed) to bowl like he did as a 16-year-old was incredible and he is definitely one to look out for in the future.

“Smith and Clarke were going really well but there was enough in the pitch - it was spinning, the odd one was keeping low and some were bouncing more and we kept saying that if we get a couple of wickets we are back in it. We just had to bowl well and thankfully we did.

“Clarke has probably played more games than all of our team combined but Benny showed great heart and character after his first four overs went for 27 and three for seven off his last two overs was fantastic.”

Surrey’s Rikki Clarke, who made 82, said:

“It was a pretty bitter pill to swallow, if I’m honest. We were totally in control pretty much through the game after bowling beautifully.

“Cameron Steel bowled beautifully with great control of his line and lengths and should have had a five-for but unfortunately put down a caught and bowled. He looks a great addition to the side.

“And then we were in complete control with the bat but ended up losing ourselves rather than them winning it.  We lost key wickets at crucial times and I lost a bit of rhythm.  I take complete responsibility and should have seen us home but unfortunately it was not to be.

“But we’ve got two games left, we’ve played some good cricket with a young side, myself apart, and fingers crossed we can win them and give ourselves a chance of qualifying.”

©Cricket World 2021