< >
CricketWorld.com, Latest Cricket News & Results

Royal London One-Day Cup 2021: All the Match Scores, Results, Reports and Scorecards for Thursday August 12th

Emirates Old Trafford
Emirates Old Trafford

Royal London One-Day Cup 2021: All the Match Scores, Results, Reports and Scorecards for Thursday August 12th

Royal London One Day Cup 2021 - Thursday August 12th


Derbyshire v Surrey (The Incora County Ground)

Surrey 219/2 (37 ov) beat Derbyshire 215/10 (46.2 ov) by 8 wkts (78b rem)

Ryan Patel’s century took Surrey to the knockout stages of the Royal London Cup with a crushing eight wicket victory over Derbyshire at the Incora County Ground.

Patel led the way with an unbeaten 111 from 116 balls and Tim David hammered 52 not out off 38 balls as Surrey chased down a modest target of 216 with 13 overs to spare.

Derbyshire could only muster 215 with Mattie McKiernan scoring 38 off 30 balls and Mitch Wagstaff contributing 36.

Conor McKerr took 3 for 43 and Daniel Moriarty 3 for 44 to put Surrey in control before Patel and David eased Surrey to 219 for 2.

Derbyshire’s chances of ending a disappointing tournament on a high suffered a blow when all-rounder Fynn Hudson-Prentice was ruled out following a positive Covid test while wicketkeeper Daryn Smit came in for his first List A game in three years.

Tom Wood got Derbyshire off to a good start but the innings stalled and it needed some lower-order resistance to get the score above 200.

Wood drove and cut Matt Dunn for three fours in the 9th over but his attempt to pull a fourth ended in the hands of midwicket.

Alex Hughes was caught behind down the leg side off McKerr and when Anuj Dal miscued a pull, three wickets had fallen in five overs.

Wagstaff uppercut McKerr for six but then sliced a drive to cover and when McKiernan was lbw to Rikki Clarke and Alex Thomson was stumped charging Tim David, Derbyshire had slipped to 136 for 6.

Smit and Connor Marshall regrouped by adding 38 in 10 overs before Marshall missed a sweep at Moriarty and Ravi Rampaul’s attempt to clear the ropes ended in the hands of Clarke at long on.

Smith was also lbw sweeping at Moriarty but Ben Aitchison and George Scrimshaw added 28 for the last wicket to at least give themselves a total to defend.

Derbyshire needed early wickets to put Surrey under pressure but Patel and Mark Stoneman put on 92 to put the visitors well on course for victory.

Stoneman dispatched Rampaul over the long on boundary and Patel launched Thomson for six as Surrey cruised along at five an over.

Derbyshire broke the stand when Stoneman pulled Wood to long on where McKiernan took a good catch just inside the rope and although Ollie Pope drove a low return back to McKiernan, it was not enough to change the course of the game.

Patel and David dished out some dismissive treatment with David securing victory in style with his third six off the last ball of the 37th over.


Durham v Hampshire (Emirates Riverside)

Durham 228/1 (40.4 ov) beat Hampshire 225/9 (50 ov) by 9 wkts (56b rem)

Outstanding performances from Chris Rushworth and Graham Clark booked Durham's place in the Royal London Cup semi-finals after the hosts crushed Hampshire by nine wickets at Emirates Riverside.

Rushworth was on point with the ball to claim figures of four for 37 at one time reducing the visitors to 65 for six before a recovery led by Felix Organ, who mustered a career-best 79, guided Hampshire to a score of 225 for nine from their 50 overs.

Their total appeared below-par, and Clark ensured that Durham cantered towards the last four by scoring his third century of the season. The opener notched 141 and shared an unbeaten partnership of 211 - a Durham List A record for the second wicket - with Scott Borthwick to send their team into the knockout stage with momentum.

Hampshire were inserted by the home side, and they made a measured start reaching 19 before Tom Prest played on to his own stumps, handing Rushworth his 750th Durham wicket across all formats.

Nick Gubbins found the boundary three times to find his touch, guiding the visitors past the 50-run mark. However, the hosts roared into action led by Rushworth. The veteran seamer found the outside of edge of Tom Alsop and Borthwick claimed a brilliant reaction catch at second slip. Three balls later Joe Weatherley was bowled by Rushworth, exposing the Hampshire middle order.

Durham capitalised taking three wickets in three balls. Rushworth removed Ian Holland to notch his fourth scalp of the innings before Van Meekeren bowled Nick Gubbins for 23 and had James Fuller caught at point. Organ survived the hat-trick ball and stemmed the tide with a partnership of 35 with Fletcha Middleton.

Borthwick prised out Middleton lbw, reducing Hampshire to 100 for seven. Organ brought the visitors back into the contest with his maiden List A fifty from 87 deliveries, battling back against the hosts. He shared a stand worth 97 with Tom Scriven, who notched a career-best 42, which drove Hampshire to a total of 225 for nine from their allocated overs.

Fuller produced a gem of a delivery to remove the dangerous Alex Lees for only four. However, Clark and Borthwick calmed proceedings without the experienced left-hander. The former surpassed Lees at the top of the Royal London Cup run chart smashing a huge six over the leg-side to pass fifty.

The century stand between Clark and Borthwick was reached in 115 deliveries before the Durham skipper notched his ninth List A fifty, displaying patience and guile at the crease. Clark upped the ante as he approached his hundred, and he reached the milestone with his 14th four from 108 balls, passing three figures for the third time in the tournament.

The duo broke the highest stand for the second wicket for Durham in List A cricket and then raced past their 200-run partnership courtesy of further Clark boundaries before easing past their victory target with 9.2 overs to spare.

Durham's Graham Clark said:

"To score 141 twice in a season is strange, but I'll take it every time. If someone had said to me I would score 141 twice in this competition I would have bitten their hands off. I'm delighted to be scoring runs, but even more so to have reached the semi-finals. I've been trusting my game after putting in a lot of hard work over the winter. Luckily this season it has been coming off for me and hopefully that can continue.

"Records are not something you think about, you just want to build partnerships and once you get set you don't want to give it away. Myself and Scott wanted to see it home and we didn't want to give anyone else a chance. We've got a break now to get ourselves fresh for the semi-finals. It has been a great effort from the lads to win the group. The club has waited long enough without a trophy and the way we are playing I don't see why not."

Hampshire's Felix Organ said:

"Yes we were well beaten. We were happy to have the last game to play for, but we knew it was going to be tough against Durham. We were beaten by the better side. The conditions did not suit us and the toss ended up being quite important. The ball moved around a bit at the start and it became easier to bat on as the day progressed. To be fair to Durham they plate well, especially with the bat. It was obviously nice to contribute, and I've always wanted to step up when my team was struggling. I felt maybe that a century was on the cards. I was a little bit upset, but it was just a miscommunication. It was a shame, but it happens in cricket."

Glamorgan v Yorkshire Vikings (Sophia Gardens)

Yorkshire 230/10 (48.5 ov) Glamorgan 226/8 (50 ov) by 4 runs

Glamorgan fell to a four run defeat in their final Royal London One-Day Cup clash with Yorkshire Vikings, but still managed to top Group 1 and bag a home semi-final on Monday. 

They were able to stay on top of the table despite their loss thanks to a superior net run rate over the eight pool matches. That put them ahead of Surrey and Yorkshire, who took the two quarter-final spots, with Surrey gaining a home tie. 

The Vikings posted 230, with an eighth wicket partnership of 84 between Jonathan Tattersall and Matthew Waite crucial in their total, while Glamorgan got off to a solid start with a stand of 121 for their first wicket between Hamish Rutherford (58) and Nick Selman. 

Selman eventually went on to make 92 and the home side were left with 11 to win off the final over. Matthew Waite restricted them to six runs and two more wickets fell to leave the Welsh country stranded on 226-8. 

Having won the toss Glamorgan did what they did to the Notts Outlaws at the weekend and put the Vikings into bat. The visitors got off to a solid start and Will Fraine hit four boundaries on his way to a quickfire 25 before falling to a catch at the wicket by Tom Cullen off the ever-reliable Michael Hogan in the seventh over. 

The 50 came up in the 11th over before another paceman, James Weighill removed Will Luxton, who spooned a thick edge to Steve Reingold in the covers three overs later. The introduction of the off-spinner at the river end put a brake on scoring and when he bowled opener Harry Duke for 20 the Vikings were 70-3. 

It was another spinner, Steve Reingold, who made the next breakthrough in his first over. His first ball was swept to the boundary by Vikings skipper Gary Balance, but four balls later he got his revenge when he forced the left-hander onto his back foot and bowled him to make it 88-4 in the 20th over. 

The 100 came up with a four through mid-wicket by Hill in the first ball of the 26th over, only the third boundary in a very neat 11 over spell from the home bowling attack. Then James Cooke clean bowled George Hill with a ball that stayed low and had Matthew Revis caught behind with the next ball. 

Dom Bess foiled the hat-trick, but the Vikings were rocking a little at 121-6. The England spinner was then lucky to survive a steepling catch at deep mid on which Nick Selman couldn’t quite deal with as Salter ended his quota of 10 overs with 1-34.  

Bess wasn’t able to make much of his reprieve as in the very next over he was trapped lbw by the returning Weighill. Jonathan Tattersall and Mattew Waite steadied the ship and took the score to 178-7 at the 40 over mark, Waite clearing the boundary rope with one shot back over the head of Reingold as their highly productive partnership went through the half-century mark. 

The pair steered their side through the 200 barrier in the 44th over before Billy Root took a brilliant catch on the boundary to remove Waite for 44 off Cooke and end a partnership that yielded 84 runs for the eighth wicket. 

Cooke ended his 10 over spell with 3-40, while Tattersall’s 50 came up off 58 balls and contained two boundaries. He succumbed to a catch by home skipper Kiran Carlson off the bowling of Hogan in the 47th over for 53. 

The Vikings closed their innings on 230 when Josh Sullivan holed out to Hogan off the bowling of Weighill eight ball short of their full allocation of 50 overs. There were 25 extras. 

Glamorgan’s slow, but solid start was finally ended when Ben Coad bowled Rutherford with the score on 121. The patient approach continued and with 10 overs to go Glamorgan still needed 58 runs to win. Hill then struck twice in the same over to send back Reingold and Carlson and the Vikings’ noose began to tighten.  

Selman then became Hill’s third victim when he was caught by Gary Balance for an excellent 92 and the home side were 187-4 still needing 44 runs off 41 balls to win. As wickets tumbled, and the run rate rose, so Glamorgan paid the price for their slow start. 

Hill ended as the most successful bowler for the Vikings, taking 3-49 in his 10 overs. 


The lads have been great throughout the tournament and we are happy to have earned a home semi-final, but disappointed with the result against Yorkshire. 

It was a bit of a nightmare trying to follow all the results so we just focused on our game. The plan was to win and secure that home semi and we just kept an eye on the other matches. 

We got a great start through Hamish and Nick and they got a partnership going that put us in a really good position to win the game. Unfortunately, we just couldn’t get over the line. 



We have been playing some really good cricket in our last few games and it was nice for me to contribute with some runs and to help the team. It was a pretty tricky wicket, but we stuck at it and we got our rewards in the end. 

It showed how tough it was out there when their new batters came in towards the end. It was difficult for them to get going and to strike the ball cleanly. 

We knew that a score of around 200 we would be in with a chance if we could take wickets throughout. We got to 230 and it proved to be enough in the end. 

Kent Spitfires v Gloucestershire (Beckenham)

Gloucestershire 219/2 (37.4 ov) beatKent 218/9 (50 ov) by 8 wkts (74b rem)

Chris Dent hit an unbeaten 112 as Gloucestershire cruised to an eight-wicket win over Kent Spitfires in the Royal London Cup at Beckenham, with 74 balls to spare. 

Graeme van Buuren added an aggressive 51 not out as Gloucestershire closed on 219 for two, leaving the visitors with an anxious wait to see if Lancashire would deny them a place in the quarter-finals by beating Essex at Old Trafford. 

Ollie Robinson made his highest List A score of 75 but Kent failed to build on a solid opening partnership and were restricted to 218 for nine. Van Buuren took three for 34, with James Bracey taking five catches. 

Gloucestershire began the day in sixth place in the table, but knowing they would qualify on points-per-game in third if they won and Lancashire lost to Essex. 

The visitors won the toss and asked Kent to bat under unexpectedly cloudy skies. 

Robinson was dropped on 12 and 21 and Kent advanced to 61 without loss, but the hosts toiled after Tawanda Muyeye pulled Jared Warner to Tom Smith at midwicket for 30.  

Van Buuren then bowled Jack Leaning for 16 and had a disgruntled George Munsey caught behind off the next ball. Harry Finch bottom-edged the hat-trick ball for a single but fell in the next over for one, becoming Ollie Price’s maiden victim at county level when he was caught behind. 

Robinson then edged Van Buuren behind and Bracey claimed his fourth catch of the innings when Josh Shaw found Grant Stewart’s inside edge and was out for six. 

Darren Stevens gave Kent some hope with 40, but when he was caught by Bracey off Matt Taylor Kent were down to the bowlers, with six overs remaining. Harry Podmore made 19 but when he tried to accelerate he holed out to Taylor and Smith took a steepling catch. 

Warner bowled Nathan Gilchrist for five and it was left to James Logan and Matt Quinn, unbeaten on 17 and three respectively, to nudge the total towards something defendable. 

Just how defendable it was became clear as Gloucestershire marched to 72 without loss before Price was lbw to Leaning for 24 in the 12th over. Logan trapped Bracey lbw, attempting to reverse sweep for 23 and Muyeye was unlucky not to take his first Kent wicket when Dent was dropped on 70, but the Spitfires were doomed by failure to make any further inroads.  

A Van Buuren six over midwicket sent a number of supporters to the exit and Dent reached his century with an edge through the vacant slip area for a single off Quinn, before cutting Stewart to the boundary for the winning runs. 

Gloucestershire’s Chris Dent said:

“We came here to get a win and hope results go our way and we’ve done the first part. (Graeme van Burren’s) been fantastic for us and Smudger’s (Tom Smith) been building a lot of pressure. They’ve both been fantastic and they're the reason why we’ve won games recently. The seamers bowled really well today as well, I don’t think it was really a wicket for them. There was some grip, some were sliding on, some were gripping so that was pretty tough and I think our spinners exploited it really well. Ollie Price is unlucky he’s only played this game as he could easily have played some of the others. He came in and showed his class, I think he’s definitely one for the future. 

(On his century) “I just wanted to get some runs if I’m honest, obviously I haven’t got many recently and it’s been pretty tough, but I’m just happy to contribute to winning that game.” 


Kent’s Ollie Robinson said:

It’s been the same story along in this competition, we just haven’t really fired. It was a tricker pitch today and we didn’t quite find a way. They showed us how to bat and that was to get partnerships together and build off each other. It was tough to start with, with me and Tawanda and when Jack came in it got a little bit easier, but we lost wickets in clusters and if you’re doing that it’s always tough to catch up at the back end. 

“It was slow but there’s a way to score and we didn’t work it out quick enough. It’s not ideal but we’ve learned a lot from this campaign and we’ll be back stronger next year. It’s been a strange one, I’ve felt good all the time without really getting anything to show for it. It was nice to get 70 but I should have done what Dent with, when everyone batted around him and he got a hundred.” 


Lancashire v Essex Eagles (Emirates Old Trafford)

Lancashire  250/6 (50 ov) v Essex 250/8 (50 ov) Match tied

A century from former England Test captain Sir Alistair Cook helped secure Essex Eagles’ progress into the knockout stages of the Royal London Cup following an extraordinary tie with Lancashire at Emirates Old Trafford. 

Essex, who were eight wickets down, had required 22 off the last over to win before Simon Harmer stepped up and hit three successive straight sixes off Steven Croft with a scrambled two off the last ball leaving the scores level. 

The result meant the visitors finish second in Group A behind leaders Durham and will play at home eliminator tie against the third placed team in Group B. 

But it was heartbreak for Lancashire, who had to win to qualify, as they drop to fourth in Group A, with Tom Bailey’s side’s total of 250 for six always looking a shade under par. 

The hosts endured a stodgy start with Jack Plom and Ben Allison’s accuracy justifying Essex’s decision to field first. 

The opening pair had battled their way to 49 when Harmer struck in the 16th over to remove Luke Wells with a beautifully flighted turner for 26 which brought Croft to the middle. 

Together with Josh Bohannon, the veteran batsman took the game to the visitor’s bowlers before the opener scooped a full toss from Ryan ten Doeschate straight to Harmer at mid off for 34. 

When a frenetic Rob Jones was caught soon after for three thanks to a one-handed effort by Josh Rymell off ten Doeschate it looked like the innings could go either way until the incoming George Lavelle had other ideas. 

The 21-year-old quickly took a liking to Aron Niijar and at one stage deposited the unfortunate spinner into the balcony of the famous Emirates Old Trafford pavilion for a massive six as he and Croft built an entertaining century partnership for the fourth wicket. 

By the time Lavelle holed out to Paul Walter on the leg side boundary for 52, Lancashire had progressed to 203 and with Danny Lamb keen to keep up the momentum with a flurry of innovative shots the host’s were creeping towards respectability. 

Croft eventually fell seven short of his century hitting out in the penultimate over with Lamb dismissed three balls later as Lancashire closed on 250 for six. 

In reply Cook and Josh Rymell had eased their way to 44 off 8.3 overs when the 20-year-old edged Baily to Wells at slip, before Essex suffered a severe wobble with Morley trapped in front by Jack Morley for 19 and Feroze Khushi run out by Bohannon for 10 following a mix up with Cook. 

When Paul Walter was dismissed by a stunning one-handed catch at point from Taylor Cornall, Essex looked in trouble, but with Cook joined by ten Doeschate, the experienced pair were able to add 89 runs for the fifth wicket and take the Eagles to what looked a secure position at 212 for five with 33 balls left when the Dutch international was out for 45. 

But as scoreboard pressure increased, the Eagles plummeted as Cook (110) and Adam Wheater fell in successive deliveries to Croft’s off spin and Nijjar skied Wells to Liam Hurt off his first ball before Harmer’s heroics ensured a thrilling finish. 

Essex head coach, Anthony McGrath, said: 

"It's been a really good competition and looking up and down the country there have been some really tight finishes and today was no different.

"At one point it looked like we were cruising along and then going into the last two overs the game was gone so for Simon (Harmer) to hit three sixes to the longest part of the ground was incredible.

"I must admit I thought we were gone at that point but Simon writes his own scripts and it was some great ball striking - he was actually disappointed he didn't hit the last one for six to get the win.

"Alistair batted really well and so did Steven Croft for Lancashire because it was tough out there especially against the spin. From ball one Alistair hit his straps well and it was a fantastic innnings.

"We just wanted to qualify and we know whoever we get in the knockout stages it's going to be tough. Now we know what's in front of us and it's a quarter final, a semi final and a final and we have to win three games to win a trophy. Whoever we get we'll look forward to the challenge."

Mark Chilton, interim head  coach, Lancashire, said: 

"There's a lot of raw emotion and huge disappointment after the position we got to.  

"When you get to that position going into the last over you think you're going to close out the match 49 times out of 50. I thought I'd seen it all but I obviously haven't.

"I'm always keen as a coach to give responsibility and accountability to the players and for most part they respond really well to that. Once you need that many runs off the last over you think you should close things out with your death bowler but then you could easily say that about the 49th over and that was a really effective over.

"Of course we can sit here and say 'we should have done this and we should have done that' but sometimes you just have to acknowledge that we didn't execute what we were trying to do and we got it wrong.

"We will obviously learn from it."

Northamptonshire Steelbacks v Leicestershire Foxes (The County Ground Northampton)

Leicestershire Foxes 271 beat Northamptonshire Steelbacks 261/9 by four wickets

Leicestershire Foxes missed out on a Royal London Cup knockout spot despite a Louis Kimber inspired four-run DLS victory over Northamptonshire Steelbacks at Wantage Road.

The Foxes needed to win and hope for two of Surrey, Somerset and Yorkshire to lose but in spite of holding up their end of the bargain they fell a point shy in Group B.

Batter Kimber struck 63, his second List A fifty, with Rishi Patel, Arron Lilley and Rehan Ahmed’s 40-odds helping the Foxes to 271.

Rain meant the Steelbacks needed 266 from 48 over, but Rob Keogh’s 52 wasn’t enough as they fell agonisingly short – with Will Davis, Gavin Griffiths and Ben Mike all taking two wickets apiece.

The Foxes won the toss and hared out the gate as Patel aggressively blasted 41 off 33 balls, including a pick up six over midwicket.

He and opening partner Harry Swindles were both bounced out by Ben Sanderson – the former plinking to extra cover to hand the fast bowler his 50th List A wicket and the latter wonderfully caught by a diving Saif Zaib at deep square leg.

Like Patel, Lilley showed that an attacking spirit was the most profitably way to make runs – the all-rounder striking 46 off 37 deliveries for his third consecutive highest format score.

Partnerships were extinguished just as they started to flourish – eight of the stands producing between 20 and 50 runs – with Lewis Hill losing the top of his off-stump to Sanderson (three for 30), Lilley stumped and George Rhodes leg before to Simon Kerrigan.

Mike tamely chipped to midwicket and Ed Barnes was plumb in front to Zaib but Kimber provided the paste with a 53-ball half-century.

He was squared up and bowled by a crafty Kerrigan delivery, while 16-year-old Ahmed marshalled the tail with a promising unbeaten 40 before Zaib bowled both Griffiths and Davis – the spinner ending with personal best figures of three for 37.

The Steelbacks raced to 45 in 7.5 overs before rain helped slow up a wicket which was already friendly to the spin bowlers.

Emilio Gay collected 42 of the first 53 runs, including eight boundaries, before he was lbw to George Rhodes and Ricardo Vasconcelos followed soon after when he slashed to point.

A third wicket in 10 balls, Ben Curran chopping on, came as the hosts stalled – with a nine overs gap between boundaries highlighting the Foxes’ containment.

Luke Procter and Rob Keogh were pragmatic, if rarely pretty, in their 89-run stand.

The latter reached his half-century off 56 balls before swatting to midwicket but the former fell short when he hammered straight to point for 48 – both falling to Mike.

Zaib tried to take control with 42 from 41, which included a towering maximum over square in, but swung a full toss straight to deep midwicket with 37 still needed from 25 balls.

James Sales had put on 63 with Zaib and picked out exactly the same fielder, as did Kerrigan.

It meant 25 were needed from the last 11 balls, but despite Sanderson’s big-hitting, Jack White was run out to drag the Foxes over the line.

Northamptonshire Steelbacks captain Ricardo Vasconcelos:

“It was tough throughout the day, it was pretty even. They got off to a flier and then we pulled them back which was the same in our innings. Unfortunately we couldn’t get over the line.

“It has been a campaign of what ifs. Firstly the Yorkshire game [rained off] we felt we could have got on and got over the line and then we’ve had really close games at Notts and today. If those go our way we qualify.

“Our Powerplay bowling has been excellent throughout but our batting has not been good enough. Our top order hasn’t had enough guys taking it to the end and winning games for us.”


Leicestershire Foxes head coach Paul Nixon:

“We thought 10 points would be sufficient. It got close and at one point when Glamorgan were going nicely then we would have gone through but it wasn’t meant to be.

“There were a lot of good performances today. Rishi [Patel] batted beautifully, Kimber is hitting the ball nicely again and almost had to rein himself in because we were two wickets too many down and Ahmed batted maturely for his 40.

“I’m delighted we’ve won three on the bounce, and four in the competition, but sadly it wasn’t enough. We wanted to get through but by a whisker be haven’t.”

Sussex Sharks v Middlesex (The 1st Central County Ground)

Sussex 333/4 (50 ov)beat Middlesex 330/8 (50 ov) by 3 runs

Captain Tom Haines and Ben Brown both scored their maiden List A centuries as Sussex ended their Royal London Cup campaign by beating Middlesex by three runs in a thriller at Hove.

Haines made 123 and Brown 105 as they shared a stand of 219 for the second wicket, the county’s fourth highest partnership in one-day matches, out of a total of 333 for four after Haines had won the toss.

With Travis Head and David Wiese adding 54 off 21 balls at the end, Sussex finished with their second highest List A total in matches at Hove after plundering 130 off the last ten overs.

Middlesex, who needed to win to have any chance of qualifying for the knockout stages, were in a decent position on 145 for one in the 28th over, but Sussex’s four slow bowlers maintained pressure and wickets began to fall, including opener Max Holden who top scored with 94.

But left-hander Jack Davies made a rapid 51 off 37 balls and even when he departed in the 46th over Martin Andersson kept his side in the hunt. Middlesex took 23 off the penultimate over from Danny Ibrahim and when Andersson hit Wiese for six off the first ball of the final over they needed eight off five balls and were favourites.

But Wiese held his nerve. He had Josh De Caires (21) caught in the deep and conceded singles off the last three deliveries to see his side home. They swapped places with Middlesex to finish seventh in Group 2.

Haines and Brown had earlier come together in the eighth over after Middlesex captain James Harris held a catch off his own bowling to dismiss Ali Orr for 13.

It was the last success Middlesex enjoyed for 36 overs as Haines and Brown built their partnership in ideal batting conditions. The only chance either of them offered came when Haines was dropped on 117. He struck 11 fours and four sixes with only De Caires going for less than five runs an over.

Haines made 123 from 131 deliveries before he was caught at deep mid-wicket off a mis-timed pull and Brown also departed to a standing ovation when he holed out to deep extra cover, his runs coming off 109 balls with eight fours. Head and Wiese then thrashed 54 from just 21 balls, 46 of which came in boundaries, Wiese making 33 off 11 and Head 46 from 20.

Middlesex made a solid start with Holden sharing 65 with Steve Eskinazi (28) and 80 with Varun Chopra (45), but the required rate had climbed to nine an over by the time skipper Peter Handscomb was lbw sweeping James Coles for 16.

Holden moved to 94 from 95 balls with 12 fours when Head took a sharp return catch to end a fine innings. The Australian off-spinner finished with two for 35 while Wiese and Will Beer also picked up two wickets.

Tom Haines, Sussex captain, said:

"It was a tremendous game of cricket. We've had a few close ones in this competition and it's great to come out on the right side. It was nice to get my first List A hundred as well. I think Browny and I compliment each other nicely, because he hits the ball in areas I don't and the other way round. The family were all watching so that was nice for me, it was my Dad's birthday as well so hopefully that was a nice birthday treat for him."


Middlesex captain Peter Handscomb said,

"No one likes to lose a close game like that when we did so much right and got ourselves in a position to win the game, but it wasn't to be. Credit to Sussex, they batted really well and in the last ten overs got themselves up to a competitive total. It looked like we had produced the perfect run chase, but it just wasn't quite enough."


Warwickshire v Somerset (Edgbaston)

Warwickshire beat Somerset by three wickets in a thriller at Edgbaston to spoil the westcountry side's hopes of qualification for the Royal London Cup knockout stage. 

The home side went into action with qualification already beyond them but their youngsters delivered an impressive victory driven by a powerhouse all-round display from Matt Lamb. 

Lamb's List A-best bowling of four for 35 limited Somerset to 287 for eight after a third-wicket stand of 118 between Lewis Goldsworthy (79, 93 balls) and James Hildreth (72, 66) left them apparently heading for 300-plus. 

The 25-year-old then scored 92 (103 balls) as the Bears reached 289 for seven with six balls to spare. At 108 for four, they were on the back foot but Somerset's qualification bid was then unpicked by stands of 77 between Lamb and Dan Mousley and 88 between Lamb and Jacob Bethwell. 

After choosing to bat, Somerset soon lost Sam Young to a sharp return catch by Tim Bresnan but Steven Davies (46, 54 balls) gave the innings early momentum before lifting Bethell to deep mid-wicket. 

Goldsworthy, in his eighth List A appearance, and Hildreth, in his 220th, dovetailed nicely to add 118 in 20 overs. Hildreth passed 50 in 52 balls and was accelerating dangerously when he hoisted Craig Miles to deep square.  

At 219 for three in the 40th over, Somerset looked set for 300-plus but, after Goldsworthy chipped Bethell to mid-wicket, the innings lost momentum. Lamb's fiendish variations earned him his first List A wickets to continue a productive RLC for the 25-year-old who scored his maiden List A ton in the home win over Leicestershire.  

Josh Davey then inflicted early damage on Warwickshire's reply with two wickets in the third over. Rob Yates sliced to point and Will Rhodes nicked a superb delivery to wicketkeeper Davies. 

Ed Pollock sped to 44 (29 balls) but Somerset skipper Green astutely kept the impressive Davey on and was rewarded when Pollock chipped to mid-wicket. 

Michael Burgess made a fluent 38 (46 balls) but then also perished to a catch at mid-wicket, off Ned Leonard. That was 108 for four but Lamb and Mousley (37, 48 balls) added 77 in 15 overs and, after Mousley was bowled by George Drissell, Bethell settled immediately. 

Somerset's young side fought valiantly and when Lamb and Bethell sent up catches with 12 still needed, the game was back in the balance but Brookes and Bresnan saw the Bears home with six balls to spare. 




©Cricket World 2021