< >
CricketWorld.com, Latest Cricket News & Results

Royal London One-Day Cup 2021: All the Match Scores, Results, Reports and Scorecards for Tuesday, July 27th


Royal London One-Day Cup 2021: All the Match Scores, Results, Reports and Scorecards for Tuesday, July 27th

Royal London Cup 2021 Fixtures Schedule


Tuesday, July 27, 2021


Derbyshire v Warwickshire (The Incora County Ground)

Ed Pollock’s maiden List A century led Warwickshire to their first Royal London One-Day Cup win of the season as Derbyshire were beaten by eight wickets at Derby.

Warwickshire chased down a Duckworth-Lewis adjusted target of 205 in a match reduced to 42 overs by rain with Pollock unbeaten on 103 off 115 balls out of 207 for 2.

Rob Yates made 60 after Derbyshire were restricted to 200 for 9 by the spin of 17-year-old Jacob Bethell who took 3 for 32 while former Yorkshire bowler Karl Carver claimed 2 for 35.

Finn Hudson-Prentice made an unbeaten 51 and Harry Came scored 45 but Derbyshire fell well short of a challenging total.

Derbyshire were heading for a bigger score after Came and Tom Wood put on 87 in 17 overs against an attack missing 11 bowlers through injury and call-ups to the Hundred.

But Wood’s dismissal, bowled by one that skidded on from Bethell, saw Derbyshire slip to 176 for 7 in the 40th over.

Came was caught behind cutting at Carver, signed on a three week contract the previous evening, and Alex Hughes went the same way when he made room against Bethell.

Anuj Dal drove Bethell to extra cover and Nils Priestley failed to clear long on which left Hudson-Prentice to get Derbyshire up to 200.

He glanced the final ball of the innings for his fourth four to reach 50  but Derbyshire needed early wickets to have a chance of defending a below par score.

They should have removed Yates on two in the third over but an edge off Ravi Rampaul went through the hands of Ben Aitchison at slip.

Yates and Pollock took 63 from the first powerplay and with no need to take risks, the pair passed 100 in the 18th over.

Derbyshire broke the stand in the 24th over when Yates was bowled making room to cut Woods but it was not enough to change the course of the game.

Will Rhodes drove Woods for six and when Rampaul was brought back, Pollock pulled the West Indian for six and four off consecutive balls.

Rhodes was caught behind off Hudson-Prentice but Pollock struck the winning boundary with five overs to spare.

A minute’s silence was held before the game in memory of former Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and England seamer Mike Hendrick who has died aged 72

Match Summary

Derbyshire 200/9 (42 ov)

Warwickshire 207/2 (37 ov)

Warwickshire beat Derbyshire by 8 wickets (D/L method)



Gloucestershire Worcestershire Rapids  (Bristol County Ground)

Worcestershire made it two wins from as many Royal London Cup group matches with an 11-run victory over Gloucestershire under DLS in a rain-affected game at Bristol. 

The visitors posted 228 for seven from 40.3 overs after losing the toss, opener Jack Haynes leading the way with 59, off 61 balls, with 7 fours and a six. 

After three interruptions, Gloucestershire were finally set a target of 94 from 11 overs and could manage only 82 for four, Graeme van Buuren making 38 not out. 

Eighteen-year-old left-arm spinner Josh Baker bowled the penultimate over for just four runs, taking the wicket of Jack Taylor to effectively settle the outcome. 

Worcestershire began the game brightly, despite losing Brett D’Oliveira, on 14, caught at backward point off Josh Shaw’s second ball of the game with the total on 33. 

By the end of the ten-over powerplay, the visitors were nicely placed on 66 for one, Haynes having taken advantage of the fielding restrictions with some well-timed shots. 

But the opening ball of 11th over, the first sent down by left-arm spinner Tom Smith, turned enough to for Tom Fell to edge to wicketkeeper Ben Wells. 

Haynes went to an impressive half-century off 52 balls, but was caught soon afterwards when miscuing a pull shot off Matt Taylor. 

Boundaries dried up as Taylor bowled tightly in tandem with the left-arm spin of van Buuren. 

At the halfway stage of their innings, Worcestershire were 134 for three. But van Buuren then struck twice in as many balls. 

Jake Libby, who had played sensibly for his 33, was caught and bowled driving, while Ed Barnard elected to sweep his first delivery and fell lbw. 

Gareth Roderick, back at his old county, found a positive partner in Josh Dell as they added 55 for the sixth wicket. Roderick then played a loose defensive shot and was bowled by Shaw. 

It was 194 for six off 34 overs when the first rain brought a 90-minute delay. The game was initially educed to 41 overs per side and, on the resumption, Dell quickly fell to Smith for 32, caught at extra cover. 

Midway through the final over of the innings, heavy rain forced another long delay. Play restarted at 5.35pm, with Gloucestershire’s target then reduced to 115 from 14 overs.  

Chris Dent, back leading the side after surgery on a hand, struck three boundaries in the first, which cost Charlie Morris 15 runs. 

Worcestershire skipper Joe Leach responded by having Ben Charlesworth caught at short third-man and Tom Lace taken in the covers as the second over ended with the score 20 for two. 

Dent was caught behind for 25 looking to force Adam Finch off the back foot before another shower stopped play at 46 for three off 5.5 overs. 

That led to another revised target and Gloucestershire needed 48 more from 31 balls. The diminutive van Buuren crashed Finch over point for six, but Leach bowled an over for just five runs before Baker’s ice cool contribution. 

Match Summary

Gloucestershire  82/4 (11 ov)

Worcestershire  228/7 (40.3 ov)

WORCS won by 11 runs (D/L)


Worcestershire coach Alan Richardson said: "We batted positively throughout to reach what I felt would be a competitive total, but once Duckworth-Lewis comes into play you are never quite sure.

"Joe Leach hasn't played much white ball cricket recently, so it was really good to see him showcase his skills. Historically, he bowls a very good yorker and he has such a calm head on his shoulders.

"I wouldn't say it was a particularly brave decision to give Josh Baker the penultimate over because it was a tricky pitch to play spin on. But he held his nerve brilliantly."


Gloucestershire all-rounder Graeme van Buuren said: "It was an opportunity lost. I thought we had the game well in hand, but things didn't pan out for us at the end.

"There was a bit of bounce in the wicket, which made it tough to line up a bowler or a particular delivery. It was a hybrid pitch, which had been played on, and a bit sticky when it came to facing spin.

"But there are no excuses. We have to back ourselves to recover from the poor start in this competition because we have a lot of experienced players and we need to all stick together."

Hampshire v Sussex Sharks (Ageas Bowl)

A stirring all-round performance by Nick Gubbins guided Hampshire to victory over Sussex by 98 runs in their Royal London Cup Group A match at the Ageas Bowl.

First, Gubbins scored a magnificent century, 131 from 119 deliveries with six fours and five sixes, to help Hampshire post a daunting score of 328-7 from their 50 overs. Gubbins’ score was a List A record for a Hampshire batsman against Sussex.

But then leg-spinner Gubbins stunned Sussex by taking four wickets for 38 runs as Sussex were bowled out for 230 in 41.2 overs.  Before this Gubbins had taken only one wicket, in a T20 match.  He has proved a shrewd signing from Middlesex.

A young Sussex side, with five teenagers and three others aged 22 or less, never looked likely to reach their target, and they have now lost two of their opening three games in this competition, with the other match abandoned without a ball being bowled.

Their best hope was their fourth wicket pairing David Wiese and Travis Head, their most experienced players, who put on 61 in 11 overs.  But Wiese fell to a magnificent catch by Scott Currie at wide mid-off and the Gubbins ended their last hope by bowling Head.

While Gubbins was clearly Hampshire’s batting star he received solid support from Tom Alsop and James Fuller, who each hit half-centuries.

 Alsop missed Hampshire’s opening match in the competition because he was having a concussion break.  But here he came into the side in place of Tom Scriven and gave his side a solid start with Tom Prest after captain Kyle Abbott had chosen to bat first.

Alsop showed his form when he hit boundaries off each of the first three deliveries of the expensive Henry Crocombe’s third over. Alsop and Prest put on 81 for the first wicket before 16-year-old leg-spinner Archie Lenham came into the attack to bowl the 15th over and immediately bowled Prest for 34.

Gubbins brought up the 100 in the 18th over when he swept Head for four.  Alsop looked in such good form that it was a shock when he played on to Danial Ibraham for 68 off 60 balls, with eight fours.  By now, though, Gubbins was in full stride.

When Hampshire were 169 from 30 overs they looked capable of scoring 350 or more.  But they managed only 52 from the next ten overs because of some tight bowling from the Sussex spin trio of Lenham, Will Beer and James Coles.  It took a sixth wicket stand of 116 in 13 overs between Gubbins and the hard hitting  Fuller (54 off 36 balls) to put Hampshire firmly on top. And then it was Gubbins the bowler who took over.

Match Summary

Hampshire 328/7 (50 ov)

Sussex 230/10 (41.2 ov)

Hampshire won by 98 runs


Quotes from the Ageas Bowl

Nick Gubbins (Hampshire):  “I didn’t really see that coming when I woke up.  I’m very delighted by how it all went out there.  It’s a really important win for us because we lost our last game.  We got back on it today.  We lost a few wickets through the middle, which can happen with the spin, but then I thought the way James Fuller came in and he played really well. It helped us with the shorter boundary.

An all-rounder now?  “I’ve been banging that drum for a while, so if other people start saying that I’ll take.  It’s nice to get a chance with the ball.  It’s something I’ve been working on the past few years.

Travid Head (Sussex)“There was a period where we restricted them well.  It was probably a bit over par score in the end but we set up nicely with the bat.  It just needed someone to go on and get a big score.  Everyone in the top five got a start and the run rate was pretty well under control.  If we had wickets in hand at the end it would have been a much closer contest.  But we lost wickets throughout.  We didn’t take it deep enough.”


Middlesex v Durham (Radlett CC)

Durham skipper Scott Borthwick top-scored with 76 and then delivered a crucial over to secure his side’s second straight Royal London Cup success as they edged a rain-affected clash with Middlesex at Radlett.

Borthwick struck 76 in Durham’s total of 288 for eight, supported by half-centuries from Graham Clark and Luke Doneathy, only for Peter Handscomb and Robbie White to put Middlesex on track for victory with a fourth-wicket partnership of 130.

But both fell in quick succession just before rain forced the players from the field at 173 for five from 32 overs – which was enough to push the home side behind under Duckworth-Lewis-Stern calculations.

They returned for a further four-over thrash – with Borthwick conceding just four from his six balls and, despite a valiant flurry of boundaries by Thilan Walallawita, Middlesex fell just short of the revised target of 228.

Clark – who had struck a career-best 141 against Kent two days earlier – continued his form when Durham won the toss and batted, hammering three boundaries from Tim Murtagh’s opening over.

Despite the early loss of Alex Lees, well held by Sam Robson at midwicket, Clark and Borthwick scored freely in their partnership of 108, aided by some ragged Middlesex outfielding.

Luke Hollman spilled a pull from Clark on the boundary and the opener progressed to 65 before he went after Robson’s long-hop and picked out the diving Handscomb in the deep.

Hollman made amends for his earlier drop by removing Cameron Bancroft for a second-ball duck, but Borthwick found a willing ally in David Bedingham, who pummelled 41 from 31 deliveries to dominate their brisk stand of 66.

At 193 for three, Durham looked on course to post a daunting total, only for Borthwick to squander his opportunity of a maiden List A hundred by holing out off Murtagh and Bedingham departed in the next over, caught behind off James Harris.

The visitors’ innings threatened to stall entirely, but a fearless knock by 20-year-old Doneathy – who clubbed five fours and a sweetly-struck straight six off Harris in his maiden 50 from 48 balls – gave them renewed impetus.

Middlesex were soon floundering at 37 for three in reply, with Max Holden falling to Jack Campbell and Varun Chopra lbw shuffling across against Chris Rushworth, who then bowled Robson with one that nipped back to hit off stump.

Handscomb and White undertook the reconstruction job, with the skipper employing the sweep shot to good effect and using his feet against spin in a knock of 75 from 71 balls.

White opted for placement rather than power and picked the gaps consistently, reaching his first 50-over half-century with a leg-side boundary off Borthwick – but Campbell made the breakthrough, returning for a second spell to have him caught behind for 55.

When Handscomb fell in the next over, Durham shot ahead under the DLS calculation – and that was how it remained when a downpour descended on the ground soon afterwards.

Match Summary

Middlesex  225/9 (36 ov)
Durham  288/8 (50 ov)
Durham won by 2 runs (D/L)


Middlesex captain PETER HANDSCOMB, who top-scored with 75, said:

“With the ebbs and flows in the game, it sucks that we couldn’t quite get over the line but there was some good stuff that happened, other stuff we’ve got to talk about and improve on.

“For me what stood out was the difference in fielding between the sides. We let probably a few too many go through on the boundary where they were able to knock it back for one or two and in a game where two runs decide it, they’re big moments.

“There’s never a good time to get out but to be 50 runs behind on Duckworth-Lewis after 10 overs and claw it back to the point where we were 10 runs in front, then to lose two wickets in two overs to put us behind again before the rain is frustrating.

“Robbie (White) did some really good work in the middle overs and the challenge is there for him to be the bloke that’s there in the 40th or the 45th and really seeing us home.”


Durham all-rounder LUKE DONEATHY, who scored his maiden first-team 50, said:

“It was a tense finish, as soon as Duckworth-Lewis gets involved there are lots of different equations but the lads held their nerve well.

“We thought we’d left a few out there. We got a good start and then lost a few quick wickets but still managed to post what we felt was a defendable total. After the start we got we were probably looking at 320-340, something in that region.

“It’s nice for me, it’s always good to get a personal milestone and I’m very happy but being able to contribute to the team is why I’m here.

“We don’t panic if the other team get a partnership, we stuck with it and got those two wickets. They went from being about 20 ahead on Duckworth-Lewis to being about 20 behind in the space of two overs and that was massive.”

Surrey v Notts Outlaws (Kia Oval)

Ryan Patel’s astonishing 70-ball 131 with 10 sixes and seven fours, plus Jamie Smith’s 16-ball fifty, gave a 3,000-strong Guildford crowd some remarkable entertainment as Surrey beat Nottinghamshire by 33 runs (DLS) in a heavy-scoring Royal London Cup game that had earlier looked to be falling foul of heavy rain.

In a contest reduced to 30 overs per side, Surrey smashed 23 sixes and 12 fours in their 311 for 8 – a remarkable total considering that they had only scored 29 for the loss of Hashim Amla in eight overs when bad weather prevented any play from 11.37am until 2.45pm.

After the restart, Surrey took full advantage of Woodbridge Road’s short boundaries to hammer 282 in the 22 overs that then remained. In reply, needing 300 – bewilderingly, fewer than Surrey under the Duckworth Lewis Stern system – Notts made a spirited 266 for 7 with eight sixes of their own.

Sol Budinger’s 21-ball 45 up front promised a strong chase, particularly when the left-hander took 30 from Gus Atkinson’s second over, the third of the innings, when two no balls helped him to plunder five fours and a six.

Ben Slater’s 69 off 48 balls also threatened but Peter Trego and Haseeb Hameed fell cheaply and Matt Dunn’s double-wicket maiden, when he dismissed Matthew Montgomery for 29 and Liam Patterson-White for a duck, left Notts 151 for five after 17 overs and falling too far behind the asking rate. There were some more defiant blows from Joey Evison (54) and Dane Schadendorf (44 not out) but Surrey’s bowlers were always disciplined enough.

Patel’s career-best white-ball score came in just the 23-year-old’s fifth List A appearance and, replacing Amla when the South African tickled a legside catch behind to go for 14 at the start of the sixth over, he and opener Mark Stoneman tore into the Notts bowling in a second-wicket stand eventually worth 152 in 16 overs.

The real carnage effectively began when Patel hit Montgomery’s off spin for six from the last ball of the 14th over. That stroke kick-started a memorable assault in which there were three successive Patel sixes in Montgomery’s next over, the 16th, a six each for Patel and Stoneman in a Trego over costing 19 and then another three sixes in a row from Patel against Evison’s medium pace.

Those blows, in the 21st over, took Patel to 99 and the left-hander completed a 59-ball hundred from the next delivery and added one final six off left-arm spinner Patterson-White before holing out to deep mid wicket one ball later. Patel certainly loves Guildford: in 2018 his medium-paced swing brought him a freakish 6 for 5 on this ground in a championship fixture against Somerset.

Stoneman was hit on the boot to be leg-before to Brett Hutton for a 48-ball 43, and Tim David fell for 13, skying a catch after swinging Dane Paterson for a powerful six that brought up Surrey’s 200 earlier in that 24th over.

After Patel’s dismissal, though, Smith merely stamped harder on the accelerator just when it seemed as if Surrey’s scoring rate simply could not go higher. There were sixes over long off and long on against Luke Fletcher, three in succession off Patterson-White – the first two into the road over mid wicket and the last straight over the pavilion – and a final straight six, his sixth, off Paterson in a 19-ball 54.

Rikki Clarke and Atkinson, too, both hit two sixes in the last couple of overs as Notts finished punch-drunk and spectators knew they had witnessed something special. It is not just the Hundred, or the Vitality Blast indeed, which can serve up an explosion of power hitting.

Match Summary

Surrey  311/8 (30 ov)
Nottinghamshire  266/7 (30 ov)
Surrey won by 33 runs (D/L)


Surrey’s batting hero Ryan Patel said: “It was great fun and I’m still a bit in shock really. It was a good pitch and Rocky [Mark Stoneman] and myself built a good partnership which then allowed Jamie [Smith] to come in and hit fifty from 16 balls at the end.

“When we re-started the game I said to Rocky that I would try to go hard and let him try to anchor things, and it was nice to see the ball coming off the middle and flying over the boundary!

“Our bowlers also did a very good job. They probably had the best of the powerplay but we stuck at it on what is a small ground, and with the ball flying everywhere. We had our plans and we stuck to them.”

Nottinghamshire opener Ben Slater said: “We are disappointed to lose and, as the eventual margin suggested, we did feel we were chasing probably 20 or 30 too many runs.

“On a small ground, where it is hard to defend a total, we would have probably been able to chase down something 20 or 30 runs less than the 300 we were set.”

©Cricket World 2021