< >
CricketWorld.com, Latest Cricket News & Results

Royal London One Day Cup 2022: Friday 19th August - Latest News, Scores, Match Reports and Reactions

Royal London One Day Cup 2022: Friday 19th August
Royal London One Day Cup 2022: Friday 19th August - Latest News, Scores, Match Reports and Reactions

Here is all the latest news, scores, match reports and reactions for the Royal London One Day Cup 2022: Friday 19th August.


Royal London One Day Cup 2022 - Top Tournament Stats

Top Tournament Stats

Top Batter (Runs Scored) 

Top Bowler (Wickets taken) 

Most Sixes 

Points Table


Friday 19th August – Live Scores, Match Reports and Reactions


Kent vs Yorkshire, Canterbury

Grant Stewart hit a last-ball six to give the Kent Spitfires a stunning three-wicket win over the Yorkshire Vikings, in a Royal London Cup thriller at Canterbury.

Kent went into the final over needing 11 to keep their hopes of qualifying alive and Stewart declined a single off Matthew Revis’s penultimate ball to leave everything riding on the final delivery. The all-rounder then pulled Revis through backward square leg to a huge cheer from the Canterbury crowd, leaving Kent on 297 for seven.

Yorkshire had posted 282 for six from 45 overs, Harry Duke top-scoring with 85, Will Fraine hitting 68 and debutant Finlay Bean 64. After century stands for the first two wickets, Joe Denly took three for 37 to rein Yorkshire in and a Duckworth-Lewis adjustment for a rain delay meant Kent were set a target of 297.

Ben Compton hit 81 and Denly 61 but after reaching 189 for two, miserly Yorkshire bowling saw the run rate spiral above 12 an over until Stewart’s drastic late intervention.

A crowd of over 2000 at the Spitfire Ground, St Lawrence was boosted by around 80 refugees and Kent even arranged for an interpreter to broadcast announcements in Pashto.

The hosts needed to win to stand any chance of reaching the knock-out stages and with clouds hovering over Canterbury for the first time in what seemed like weeks, they chose to field, but struggled to make any impact early on.

An elegant glance for two from Gilchrist took Fraine to 50, but the breakthrough finally came in the 22nd over when he was lbw to Hamid Qadri.

It was an isolated success for Kent. Duke was on 64 when he was put down by Nathan Gilchrist off his own bowling and he put on 109 for the second wicket with Bean.

However, just as it began to rain, Denly tilted the equation with two wickets in three deliveries.

Bean drove him to Qadri and was caught. Then, with a hundred there for the taking, Duke skied Denly to Alex Blake. When the umpires brought the players off it was the first time there’d been a rain delay at Canterbury this year, but play resumed after an hour with the game reduced to 45 overs per side.

Hill made only five before he was lbw to Denly and Jonathan Tattershall holed out to Stewart in the next over and was caught on the boundary by Nathan Gilchrist.

The rain then returned, the umpires conferred and one of them signalled for the players to go back off, yet after a cry of “get on with it!” from the crowd and with the rain easing to a drizzle they changed their minds and stayed on. Matthew Revis duly drove Navdeep Saini to Denly and was caught for three, before Matthew Waite and Dom Bess restored some momentum with 31 and 13 not out respectively.

Kent’s chase got off to the worst possible start when Joey Evison was out to the first ball of the innings, caught behind off Waite, but Robinson responded by racing past 50 with a six off Tom Loten that cleared the flats on the Old Dover Road side of the ground. Although he fell for 59 to the same bowler in his next over, caught by Revis at square leg, Compton and Denly put on 98 for the next wicket, their stand only ending when Denly miscued trying to pull Revis and was caught by Waite.

Revis then had Alex Blake caught by Bess for three and Kent went 29 balls without a boundary as the pressure mounted. Compton was finally bowled by Waite attempting to reverse sweep and with Waite’s 37th over going for just four, the hosts needed 36 from 18 and then 23 from 12.

Harry Finch was out for 42, pulling Bess to Waite but Stewart smashed Waite back over his head for six, leaving Kent needing 11 from the final over. Harry Podmore sliced Revis’ first ball for four but hit the next down George Hill’s throat. Qadri took a single from the third, the fourth was a dot and Stewart declined a single off the fifth before creaming Revis for six to an eruption of joy from the home fans.

Lancashire vs Northamptonshire, Blackpool

Lancashire’s batsmen mounted the highest successful run-chase in their county’s illustrious List A history to defeat Northamptonshire Steelbacks on a sun-soaked, run-stuffed day at Blackpool. 

Replying to their opponents 370 for four, Northamptonshire’s second-highest List A total, Lancashire got home with 10 balls to spare, thanks to a century from their skipper, Keaton Jennings, and a nerveless 61 not out off 34 balls by George Lavelle. 

However, defeat was hard on the Northamptonshire openers, Ricardo Vasconcelos and Emilio Gay, both of whom made centuries in what was a magnificent game of List A cricket.

Unsurprisingly the Steelbacks’  innings was dominated by Vasconcelos and Gay, whose 198-run stand set a first-wicket record for Northamptonshire against Lancashire in List A cricket.

Vasconcelos was quick to punish anything short of a length and reached three figures off 89 balls with nine fours and three sixes. By contrast, Gay’s driving was a particular delight and  he got to his maiden List A century off 94 balls.

Despite their best efforts,  Lancashire’s bowlers were unthreatening and it was fitting that the first wicket was a run out when Gay sent Vasconcelos back and the South African opener was beaten by Steven Croft’s throw from square leg. 

Will Young and Saif Zaib made useful twenties before both batsmen were caught at deep square leg by Rob Jones, George Balderson and Danny Lamb being the successful bowlers. Four balls after Zaib’s departure, Gay was run out for 131 by Luke Wells’s direct hit from cover, leaving the Steelbacks on 304 for four after 41.3 overs.

Those wickets deprived the Steelbacks innings of a little of its impetus but Lewis McManus hit four sixes in his 44 not out to ensure that Northamptonshire reached their highest List A total against Lancashire, who conceded their third-highest total in this format. Lamb, who took one for 64 from his ten overs was the pick of the home attack. most members of which were roughly treated on a superb batting pitch.

But Northamptonshire’s bowlers found things no easier against the in-form openers, Keaton Jennings and Luke Wells, who put on 130 in 16 overs before Wells was caught at long off for 84 by the substitute fielder Harry Gouldstone off Saif Zaib.

Wells had been particularly severe on Freddie Heldreich, hitting the left-arm wrist spinner for three sixes in one over, but Zaib maintained a degree of control and took the second wicket when he caught and bowled  Josh Bohannon for 26, thus ending the Boltonian’s 72-run second-wicket stand with Jennings.

Lancashire’s efforts to accelerate were further hampered by the loss of Steven Croft, caught and bowled by Alex Russell for 13, and Rob Jones, caught behind by McManus off Sales for eight, but the crucial blow seemed to have been struck when Jennings, having reached an 86-ball hundred was briliantly caught on the deep midwicket boundary by Gay off Sales for 125. 

But Lavelle was joined by George Balderson and the pair’s 82-run stand for the sixth wicket was vital in securing one of Lancashire’s most memorable victories. The win also confirms the home side’s place in the knockout stages of the Royal London Cup.    

Surrey vs Gloucestershire, The Oval

Gloucestershire 294 for 8 (47.3 overs) beat Surrey 292 for 9 (50 overs) by 2 wickets

Tom Price was the tailend hero with 38 not out from 34 balls as Gloucestershire pulled off a breathless two-wicket Royal London Cup victory against Surrey at the Kia Oval.

Ben Geddes, Surrey’s 21-year-old Royal London Cup captain, had done his best to inspire his team by scoring 71 in Surrey’s 292 for 9, running out Tom Smith with a direct hit on the bowlers’ stumps during a tense finish and also juggling his rookie bowling attack with skill.

But fast bowler Price, who came in at No 8 with Gloucestershire seemingly making a mess of a chase that had initially looked well on course, kept his head in an unbroken ninth wicket stand of 42 with Paul van Meekeren. 

Price pulled the winning four off Matt Dunn to clinch a win, with 2.3 overs to spare, that is Gloucestershire’s fourth Group A victory and keeps alive their hope of qualification for the knock-out stages.

Earlier, Jack Taylor had followed up his 3 for 38 with five sixes in a 46-ball 51, but Gloucestershire kept losing wickets at vital times as a crowd of more than 3,500 lapped up the entertainment in warm sunshine. 

Taylor’s seven overs of leg breaks contributed to 34 overs of spin bowled by Gloucestershire, with Pakistan international Zafar Gohar not conceding a single boundary in his ten overs. Gohar also bowled five of those overs in the first powerplay, having Ryan Patel held on the deep square leg ropes for 5 and, in the end, impressing with 1 for 35.

Gloucestershire’s chase did not start well, with Ben Wells bowled off stump for 12 by a beauty from Dunn and Australian Test left-hander Marcus Harris chopping into his stumps against Tom Lawes to go for 9.

But, from 34 for 2, they counter-attacked through James Bracey and Ben Charlesworth, who added 61 in just nine overs with some sparkling strokeplay.

Six of Bracey’s first seven scoring shots were fours, including extra cover driven and forced offside boundaries from the second and third balls he faced, from Lawes.

On 34, however, Bracey lifted his 25th ball to cover off Cameron Steel’s leg-spin and, on 49, Charlesworth chipped a return catch to Yousef Majid, Surrey’s 18-year-old slow left armer just out of Cranleigh School.

Majid was then struck for three sixes in four balls by Taylor but Gloucestershire’s progress was checked when 21-year-old Oli Price, having batted commandingly to reach 45 from 33 balls with eight fours, was strangled down the legside by seamer Nick Kimber.

Gohar made a useful 30 before reverse-sweeping Majid to short third man, and Taylor struck further legside sixes off Lawes and Majid before holing out to deep mid wicket in the 39th over. When Smith was run out by Geddes in the next over, the game was in the balance at 252 for 8 – but Price and Van Meekeren were equal to the task in hand.

Surrey’s innings was built upon a 102-run second wicket stand in 17 overs between Geddes and Steel, and then a further partnership of 51 for the third wicket by Geddes and Josh Blake.

But that initial momentum stalled when Van Meekeren had Steel caught at the wicket for a fine 54-ball 61 with one that bounced and Oli Price’s off spin then dismissed both Geddes and Blake (31) during his excellent seven-over spell of 2 for 34 from the Vauxhall End.

Smith’s left-arm spin accounted for both Nico Reifer, brilliantly caught and bowled with a diving left-handed effort for 11, and Sheridon Gumbs, who on 17 was unfortunate to pick out Wells at short third man with a sweetly-hit reverse sweep.

Suddenly, 181 for 2 had become 222 for 6 in 11 overs of struggle against the two spinners and it took Lawes’ third successive Royal London Cup half-century to pull Surrey up to a defendable total.

Lawes flipped Van Meekeren for an extraordinary six to fine leg when the Dutch international fast bowler was reintroduced for the 45th over, and then produced a similarly cheeky stroke to the next ball to flick it to fine third man for four.

Kimber managed a few meaty blows before skying Taylor to square cover on 17 and Gloucestershire’s skipper – taking on the responsibility of bowling three death overs – then dived to his right to send back Conor McKerr for 2 with a smart caught and bowled.

Lawes swatted Van Meekeren over deep mid wicket for his second six and then reverse-slapped Taylor for four to reach his fifty in the final over before, on 50 from 40 balls, mis-hitting to short third man where Van Meekeren ran in to take a good tumbling catch.

Glamorgan vs Hampshire, Neath

Glamorgan produced a huge upset, easing themselves to a shock victory over Hampshire thanks to a brutal maiden first-class century from 22-year-old Tom Bevan that eased the reigning Royal London One Day Cup champions to a seven-wicket victory over Group B leaders Hampshire at The Gnoll, Neath.  

Bevanreached his century off 88 balls and smashed eight sixes on his way to 134 as he guided Glamorgan to their 229-run target.  

Having put into bat, Hampshire were on the back foot from the start and struggled to set up a defendable target, limping to 228-9 despite a knock of 93 from skipper and opener Nick Gubbins. While he hung around before being the seventh wicket to fall, Hampshire lost five wickets before they reached three figures. 

His sixth wicket partnership with Ian Holland (63*) put on 72, but that was the best the visitors had to offer. They then looked shell shocked in the field during Bevan’s onslaught. 

As their bowlers struggled to find their lengths they were duly taken down by the Cardiff-born batsman and Colin Ingram. They put on 203 for the second wicket to turn the run chase into a stroll as Glamorgan won with 110 balls remaining. 

Glamorgan took control early on, after winning the toss and sending Hampshire in to bat . The away side found themselves in a bit of trouble at 99-5. Only Gubbins looked to get the better of the conditions as the visitors struggled on a tricky pitch early on. 

After a quiet period between overs 20 and 30, with only 29 runs scored, Hampshire started to rebuild their innings and began to up the rate, playing with a lot more positive intent.  Gubbins looked at his fluent best, playing some stylish shots, before reaching his half century from 72 balls.  

The Hampshire opener continued to find runs at a healthy rate throughout his innings, on his way to 93, but fell soon after, taking on Carlson’s off break with a lofted shot straight to Billy Root on the boundary.   

Hampshire continued to attack, upping the rate in the final 10 overs. Ian Holland, fresh off international duty, got to his half century off 52 balls. Glamorgan’s bowling and fielding had lost all its shape in the later stages and Hampshire got to 228-8.  

Hampshire had all the momentum heading into the innings break and their bowling attack looked to take wickets early on, but struggled to put Glamorgan under any real pressure, defending an under-par score.  

Despite the loss of Chris Cooke for 0 early on, Glamorgan never really looked in trouble with Bevan smashing the ball all around the ground. The combination of Bevan and Ingram racked up that double century run partnership. 

Bevan was eventually out for a magnificent 134, not before essentially winning the game for Glamorgan. Billy Root joined Ingram at the crease and the pair eased the home side to a shock victory over a very strong Hampshire side.  

Worcestershire vs Essex, New Road

ESSEX 279 for nine; WORCESTERSHIRE 280 for three

Taylor Cornall came within three runs of his maiden List A century to lead Worcestershire Rapids to a second win in 48 hours as they overcame Essex Eagles by seven wickets in a Royal London Cup encounter at New Road.

The left hander, in his first season with Worcestershire, followed his 61 in the victory over Northamptonshire with another excellent contribution as the Rapids chased down a 280 target with eight balls to spare.

He shared in a decisive second wicket stand of 158 in 28 overs with Gareth Roderick who hit his maiden List A half century for Worcestershire.

Cornall was eventually lbw to Luc Benkenstein on 97 but Jake Libby and Ed Barnard saw the Rapids, who had lost their opening five games, over the finishing line during an unbroken stand of 57.

Seventeen-year-old Robin Das, and, Luc Benkenstein, aged 20 had also achieved their highest scores in competition with 63 and 55 respectively.

Worcestershire captain, Jake Libby, opted to bat and Ben Gibbon made the first breakthrough when Josh Rymell drove at the left armer and edged to Ed Pollock at first slip.

Essex captain Tom Westley went into the game as his leading run-scorer in the competition with 335 but he went lbw first ball against Dillon Pennington in the next over.

Grant Roelofsen and Feroze Khushi, Essex’s other in-form batters, scored freely in adding 55 in nine overs.

But Tongue came into the attack and was rewarded when Roelofsen on 31 went across his stumps and was caught down keeper Ben Cox down the legside.

There was more joy for Tongue when Khushi (43) went to pull a delivery that came onto him quicker than expected and Cox running back held onto another legside chance.

Worcestershire were firmly in the ascendancy when Nick Browne was run out by Ed Barnard’s direct hit at the non-striker’s after he had turned Dilllon Pennington to point and set off for a single.

Essex were then 132-5 and Luc Benkenstein on three had a let off when he inside edged Tongue on his return to the attack and Cox was unable to hold onto the chance.

It was a rare error by Cox whose two catches today lifted his dismissals in all cricket to the 600 mark.

Tongue’s permitted quota of eight over for his comeback match resulted in encouraging figures of 8-0-41-2.

Benkenstein also survived a sharp chance to Barnard at mid-wicket off Libby and he and Das brought about an Essex recovery during a stand of 83 in 13 overs.

It took a good catch by Pollock running around to deep mid wicket to break the stand after Das aimed a big blow at Barnard.

His List A best 63 off 64 balls contained nine boundaries.

Gibbon struck for the second time as Aron Nijjar picked out Tongue at mid on and then Pennington took a good at mid wicket to dismiss Benkenstein off his own bowling after he attempted a hook.

His 55 was also his best score in List A cricket and came from 59 deliveries with seven boundaries.

It became two wickets in two balls for Pennington as Jamal Richards was bowled after playing an expansive drive before some late blows by Shane Snater lifted the final total to 279-9.

Pollock, recalled in place of the injured Azhar Ali, got the Rapids innings off to a flying start and hit Snater over mid wicket for six.

He made 34 from 25 balls out of 50 before he pushed forward to Jamal Richards and was bowled.

Cornall was joined by Gareth Roderick and the pair batted with great authority and kept the score moving along at the required rate throughout.

Cornall raced to a 59 ball half century with Roderick needed only six more deliveries to reach his maiden List A fifty for the Rapids.

Seamers and spinners alike were not allowed to settle although Cornall had a life on 67 when he was dropped at mid wicket off Toole.

Roderick was full of improvisation, twice reverse sweeping Westley for boundaries, but the same stroke eventually brought about his downfall on 76 from 85 balls.

He picked out Jamal Richards at point off Benkenstein to end a partnership of 158 in 28 overs with Cornall.

All eyes were now on Cornall to see if he could reach three figures but he fell agonisingly short when lbw to Benkenstein and left the field to a standing ovation.

Libby and Barnard ensured there were no late scares for the home side with an unbroken stand of 57.

Middlesex vs Warwickshire, Radlett

Stephen Eskinazi continued his love affair with this season’s Royal London One-day Cup as Middlesex trounced Warwickshire by 128 runs at Radlett to remain on course for the knockout stages.

The England Lion made the most of being dropped early on to reach 642 runs for the campaign with his fourth century (102) of the competition, leaving him four shy of Graham Clark’s record of 646 set playing for Durham in 2021.

Eskinazi shared a stand of 213 for the second wicket with Sam Robson who made 111, his best list-A score as the hosts piled up 374-3 their highest total ever in the format at Radlett.

Dominic Sibley made 89 in the run-chase, but with Michael Burgess hampered by an injury sustained in the field the Bears could only muster 246 . Luke Hollman returned a career-best four for 34 while young seamer Max Harris took two for 53.

Middlesex, began hesitantly, Oliver Hannon-Dalby finding the edge of Eskinazi’s bat when he’d made just 10. However, wicketkeeper Burgess not only failed to cling on to the chance but dislocated his thumb in the process. Fellow opener Mark Stoneman soon hooked the same bowler down the throat of deep square, but it was scant compensation.

New batter Robson was felled by a short ball from George Garrett early in his innings, but once the green tinge left the hybrid pitch he and Eskinazi took charge. Both men hit beautifully over cover and Eskinazi struck the first six of the day back over the bowler’s head.

Robson was the first to 50 at a little over a run a ball while Eskinazi made it to 600 runs in this year’s competition when he reached 60. The two Seaxes forged on in a race to three figures, Robson winning that contest too, a six back over Hannon-Dalby’s head and 10 fours taking him to his century in 95 balls. And one ball later the Middlesex faithful were on their feet again to laud Eskinazi’s latest ton from 104 balls.

It took a deflection onto the stumps at the bowler’s end to run out Eskinazi and bring their stand to a close and Robson holed out in the deep soon afterwards.

Their departures though brought little respite for Warwickshire as Max Holden (62 not out)and Pieter Malan (59 not out) plundered a hundred partnership from the final 52 balls, the former clubbing a six almost into the pavilion, while the South African’s maximum threatened those queuing for an ice-cream.

On a day when England crumbled in the Test their former opener Sibley opened positively in reply driving strongly both straight and through cover, finding the fence nine times in reaching 50 in 62 balls.

The problem for the visitors was no-one could provide the sense of permanence to stay with him and chase down such a target.

The in-form Rob Yates missed out nicking one from Toby Greatwood to wicketkeeper Joe Cracknell and skipper Will  Rhodes soon followed him back to the pavilion when Martin Andersson spread-eagled his stumps.

Matt Lamb flourished briefly in a stand of 53 only to then be castled by the returning Greatwood and Ethan Brookes was another to get a start before falling lbw to Hollman. The young leg-spinner would strike again in his next over too bowling 16-year-old Hamsa Shaikh around his legs.

Sibley’s stout resistance ended when he edged Max Harris through to Cracknell and although Burgess bravely came out to bat he was yorked by Umesh Yadav as Middlesex ran out convincing winners.

Somerset vs Sussex, Taunton

Ali Orr smashed the first ever List A double century by a Sussex player as the Sharks maintained their impressive Royal London Cup form with a 201-run demolition of Somerset at the Cooper Associates County Ground, Taunton. 

The 21-year-old left-hander hit a brutal 206, off 161 balls, with 11 sixes and 18 fours, to help his side post 397 for five after losing the loss. Cheteshwar Pujara contributed 66 and Delray Rawlings 54 not out off just 23 deliveries. 

Orr eclipsed the previous highest individual innings by a Sharks player, the 174 made by Pujara against Surrey at Hove just five days earlier, and earned a share of fifth place among the top scorers ever in List A cricket. 

In reply, shellshocked Somerset were bowled out for 196 in 38.2 overs as they fell to a seventh defeat in as many group matches and their heaviest ever in List A cricket by a margin of runs. Only Andrew Umeed, with 56, offered much resistance. 

Apart from a three-over opening burst from Jack Brooks, Somerset’s seamers lacked any semblance of control on a true pitch and Orr was in just the mood to capitalise. 

His first fifty occupied 45 balls, the second 61, the third 24 and the fourth 29 as he mercilessly punished anything off line, launching the vast majority of his sixes over mid-wicket and long-on with impressive bat speed. 

It was murderous display that required just one moment of luck. On 66, he edged Alfie Ogbourne through to wicketkeeper James Rew, who took a diving catch, only to see that a no-ball had been signalled. 

Other than that, Orr, whose previous best List A score in only 11 games was 108, produced a display of clean hitting rarely matched at ground renowned for fast scoring. 

From 61 for two, Danial Ibrahim having edged Brooks to Matt Renshaw at slip and Tom Clark been run out in a mix-up with Orr over a quick single, Sussex assumed total dominance. 

Pujara characteristically picked up ones and twos in a stand of 140 for the third wicket. The Indian maestro also hit 5 fours and a six before being caught and bowled by Kasey Aldridge off a leading edge. 

Fynn Hudson-Prentice supported Orr with a solid 36 in a partnership of 98. When he was caught at long to give slow left-armer Josh Thomas a maiden List A wicket, Rawlings strode out to inflict more heavy punishment. 

Three sixes and 6 fours helped him to a 22-ball half-century, while at the other end Orr continued to plunder runs. When the opener was finally caught at long-off in the final over of the innings, spectators all around the ground stood to applaud.  

It took just eight deliveries of the Somerset reply for the Sharks bowlers to show what was possible with line and length, Bradley Currie swinging a ball away from Rew and having him caught at second slip. 

Lewis Goldsworthy, who had been given only seven overs despite being the pick of Somerset’s bowlers, dragged a ball from Currie onto his stumps and skipper Matt Renshaw edged a catch behind off Aristides Karvelas to leave the hosts 26 for three. 

Having been forced by injuries and Hundred call-ups to sign Gloucestershire all-rounder George Scott on a two-match loan, Somerset were facing humiliation. 

So it proved, as George Bartlett was caught at mid-off advancing down the pitch to Henry Crocombe, who then had Thomas caught at cover off a total mishit. 

Umeed moved steadily to a maiden List A fifty off 47 balls. But he was caught at slip off the first over from slow left-armer James Coles and when Rawlins had Aldridge caught behind it was 114 for seven. 

Scott, Brooks and Ogborne, who smacked Rawlins for a straight six, produced some belligerent tail-end blows to boost the meagre total. 

But for Somerset it was another disastrous day in a calamitous 50-over campaign. 


© Cricket World 2022