< >
CricketWorld.com, Latest Cricket News & Results

Royal London One Day Cup 2022: Tuesday 23rd August - Latest News, Scores, Match Reports and Reactions

Royal London One Day Cup 2022
Royal London One Day Cup 2022: Tuesday 23rd August - Latest News, Scores, Match Reports and Reactions

Here is all the latest news, scores, match reports and reactions for the Royal London One Day Cup 2022: Tuesday 23rd August.

Royal London One Day Cup 2022 - Top Tournament Stats

Top Tournament Stats

Top Batter (Runs Scored) 

Top Bowler (Wickets taken) 

Most Sixes 

Points Table


Tuesday 23rd August – Live Scores, Match Reports and Reactions

Kent vs Lancashire, Canterbury

A thrilling finish at Canterbury saw the Kent Spitfires qualify for the Royal London Cup quarter-finals with a two-wicket win over Lancashire, in Darren Stevens’ white-ball swansong at the Spitfire Ground. 

Kent were in deep trouble on 190 for six, but Harry Podmore hit Luke Wells’ penultimate ball for four to send Kent through to the knock-out stages, after a day of raw, unfiltered tension. 

Stevens hit 49 in his final List A innings at the St. Lawrence, but he was nearly upstaged by Lancashire’s George Balderson, who played a high-risk innings and was rewarded with an unbeaten 106 from 87 balls. Josh Bohannon was the visitors’ next highest-scorer with 75 as Lancashire recovered from 95 for five to post 295-9. Nathan Gilchrist claimed three for 52 and Harry Podmore three for 53. 

Alex Blake was Kent’s top scorer with 81 and his century stand with Stevens kept the Spitfires in contention before Podmore finished the job, with Kent closing on 298 for eight. 

The hosts needed to win to stand any chance of reaching the quarter-finals, while hoping Yorkshire lost to Hampshire. Lancashire, having already qualified, were trying to overhaul Hampshire at the top of the Group B table. 

Kent chose to field first and Grant Stewart made an early breakthrough when he had Luke Wells caught behind for a duck in the third over. 

Gilchrist then bowled Keaton Jennings for 17 and had Steven Croft lbw for nought, but Bohannon and Dane Vilas put on 51 for the next wicket before Podmore removed the latter for 22 after a brilliant diving catch by Hamid Qadri at square leg. 

When Rob Jones charged at Qadri he was stumped by Ollie Robinson for nine, but Bohannon and Balderson rebuilt the innings as conditions improved.    

Their stand of 101 was ended when Bohannon skied Qadri to Gilchrist but George Lavelle maintained the momentum with 24 from 13 balls before he spooned Podmore to Alex Blake. 

Podmore then removed Danny Lamb, caught behind for eight, but Balderson reached three figures when he hooked Stewart for four in the penultimate over. 

Although Gilchrist subsequently bowled Tom Bailey for nine it was still Lancashire’s highest List A score against Kent and when Jack Blatherwick took two wickets in three balls the target looked a long way off. 

Ben Compton went for three in the third over of the chase when Lamb took a juggling catch at first slip off and Ollie Robinson lasted just two balls before Blatherwick had him caught behind for a duck. 

Joe Denly produced a couple of elegant fours but was lbw to Bailey for 13, before the same bowler had Joey Evison caught and bowled for 20. At 53 for four the stage was set for Stevens and with Alex Blake he hauled Kent back into contention as they put on 105 for the next wicket. 

Back in the year 2000 Stevens had played for Leicestershire against a Kent side that included Wells’ father Alan and he hit successive Wells Junior deliveries for six before falling just short of his half-century, caught and bowled by Croft. He departed to a standing ovation and kissed his helmet before entering the pavilion.  

Blake then chipped Wells to Jennings, but Harry Finch and Grant Stewart hit back with a 73-run partnership. 

When Stewart hit Balderson for successive sixes Kent looked favourites, but he fell for 49, caught by Croft off Blatherwick, just as news filtered through that Yorkshire had lost. 

Podmore joined Finch and whittled away at the target, with every run cheered by the crowd of 2,101, to leave Kent needing three from the final over, but Finch hit Wells first delivery to Vilas. 

The next two were dots and Wells missed a difficult return catch as Qadri scrambled a single from the fourth, leaving Podmore to drive the winning boundary through the covers. Kent now have a quarter-final trip to Stevens’ home county Leicestershire. 

Worcestershire vs Glamorgan, New Road

GLAMORGAN 356 for three; WORCESTERSHIRE RAPIDS 337 for nine

Sam Northeast and Billy Root re-wrote the record books as Glamorgan defeated Worcestershire Rapids by 19 runs at New Road but the holders just failed to reach the knockout stages.

Kent’s last over two wicket victory over Lancashire at Canterbury meant they advanced to the quarter-finals at Glamorgan’s expense.

Northeast hit his own and Glamorgan’s List A best score of 177 not out from 148 balls with four sixes and 22 fours while Root equalled his best in this format by making 113 not out from 92 balls with seven sixes and six fours.

The pair plundered an unbroken 245 from just 28 overs as Glamorgan amassed 356-3 from 50 overs after being put into bat.

It was Glamorgan’s record fourth wicket partnership in List A cricket, surpassing the 234 by Root and Chris Cooke against Gloucestershire at Bristol three years ago.

Northeast went past his previous best 132 versus Somerset in 2014 and the Glamorgan record of 169 by Jacques Rudolph against Sussex in the same year.

Worcestershire were powerless to halt the flood of runs and Root struck five sixes in the penultimate over from Dillon Pennington, the third of which brought up his century.

They made a brave reply with captain Jake Libby, Joe Leach and Ben Cox all hitting half centuries but were always struggling to reach the required rate and closed on 337 for nine, their sixth defeat in eight games.

The home side handed a senior debut to Scotland international spinner, Olly Davidson, the third member of their 2021-2022 Academy intake to be bloodied in the competition after Henry Cullen and Reeve Evitts.

Glamorgan were without Colin Ingram who has linked up with Guyana Amazon Warriors in the Caribbean Premier League and he was replaced by Sam Northeast.

Rapids captain, Jake Libby, put Glamorgan into bat on a used hybrid pitch under cloudy skies and Joe Leach made two early breakthroughs.

Tom Bevan had a let off on four when he was dropped at first slip off Dillon Pennington but it was not a costly miss for the home side.

The opener added only six more before he played a loose shot off the back foot and was caught behind off Leach.

It became 16 for two when Glamorgan keeper batter, Chris Cooke, pushed forward and was bowled by a delivery which nipped away.

Leach and Pennington posed plenty of problems with the new ball and conceded only 27 runs in the initial powerplay.

But Kiran Carlson and Northeast upped the tempo as the pressure was eased from the bowlers and the next 10 overs yielded 71 runs.

Carlson collected two boundaries in the first over from Josh Tongue, continuing his comeback from a shoulder problem, and Northeast also scored freely in completing a 68 ball half century.

The third wicket stand was worth 95 in 15 overs when Carlson on 41 nibbled at an Ed Barnard delivery and gave Cox his second catch.

It was a deserved reward for Barnard who bowled his 10 overs in one spell for 39 runs.

Davidson came into the attack for the first time at 119 for three and was unfortunate in his first over with Billy Root and Northeast both collecting boundaries from edges. 

But then Root and Northeast took complete command and reached their half centuries off 66 and 68 balls respectively before cutting loose.

The final 10 overs yielded 139 runs with all of the Worcestershire bowlers coming in for severe punishment.

Worcestershire quickly ran into trouble when they set off in pursuit of their mammoth target.

Ed Pollock played in typically aggressive fashion, collecting five boundaries in three overs from Dan Douthwaite, but then aimed a legside blow at James Weighell and top edged a catch to third man.

Weighell struck again in his next over as Taylor Cornall, who hit a List A best 97 against Essex, holed out to mid off.

Libby and Gareth Roderick batted sensibly in consolidating Worcestershire’s position in adding 52 off eight overs.

Prem Sisodiya accounted for Roderick who was pouched at long on and then Barnard was caught and bowled by Carlson at 116-4.

Libby reached a 48 ball half century but on 58 became Carlson’s second victim when he drove tamely to cover.

The run rate reached 10 an over but Leach played positively from the start of his innings, striking Andrew Gorvin for a straight six.

He struck the ball in superb fashion similar to his match-winning knock against Kent chasing another big target in the RLC at New Road last summer

Leach completed a 31 ball half century but then Northeast held onto an excellent one-handed catch at extra cover as he tried to hit Joe Cooke over the top.

Cox was more circumspect in reaching 50 from 58 balls before Tongue (23) and Finch (14) were caught in the deep.

Glamorgan centurion Billy Root said: “Pretty mixed feelings. It is a difficult day when a lot of it is out of your control and we needed results to go our way.

“All we could do was focus on the job in hand today. We couldn’t affect what went on at Canterbury and good luck to the guys who have qualified.

“As holders of the competition, it has been a bit disappointing. But we have still played some good stuff and felt we were peaking in the competition at the right time.

“Had we gone through, we would have gone into the quarter-finals full of confidence.

“It was nice to bat with Sam (Northeast) especially with the way he has been performing this season. He has been in great form since April.

“For me, I was glad to get a score because I’ve been a bit light on runs in this competition recently.”


Warwickshire vs Somerset, Edgbaston

Somerset collected their first Royal London Cup win at the eighth and last attempt and dragged Warwickshire out of the competition with them with a 14-run victory at Edgbaston. 

Lewis Goldsworthy's maiden List A century (111, 116 balls) and Jack Brooks' excellent bowling (four for 38) underpinned a win which brought some belated light to a leaden campaign for the westcountrymen.  

Somerset owed their total of 266 for five to a third-wicket stand of 198 in 35 overs between Goldsworthy and James Rew (96, 120).  Olly Hannon-Dalby and Liam Norwell took two wickets apiece but George Garrett impressed most, conceding 37 from his ten overs. 

Warwickshire knew that reaching 267 would take them through to the knockout phase but their depleted batting order, without the injured Krunal Pandya and Michael Burgess, fell just short on 252 all out. Captain Will Rhodes (92, 103) and Ethan Brookes (51, 57) added 104 in 18 overs for the fifth wicket but there were no contributions of substance either side of their stand. 

After choosing to bat, Somerset soon lost former Warwickshire opener Andy Umeed, bowled by Norwell who also had Steven Davies superbly caught low at slip by Rob Yates. With three vital championship games to come in September, the Bears will be encouraged to see Norwell starting to regain full fitness and menace. 

Rew and Goldsworthy rebuilt, slowly at first, then more fluently, reaching their half-centuries from 77 and 71 balls respectively. The latter struck 12 fours in a polished innings before falling lbw to Yates.      

Eighteen-year-old Rew was a boundary short of his second List A ton when he sliced Hannon-Dalby to short third man. George Bartlett's tidy unbeaten 29 (21 balls) lifted Somerset to a competitive score.   

Yates (four fours and a six in 25) gave Warwickshire's reply a brisk start until he was brilliantly caught at extra cover by Bartlett off Kasey Aldridge.  

A string of batters then also picked out fielders. Bartlett pounced again at extra when Dom Sibley (23, 36 balls) lifted a drive at Brooks  and Goldsworthy added wickets to his earlier runs as Hamza Shaikh swept to deep mid-wicket and Matt Lamb cut to point. 

That was 95 for four but as Rhodes and Brookes' enterprising batting righted the ship and got the crowd involved. Brookes twice located the Hollies Stand on his way to a 53-ball half-century before edging Brooks to wicketkeeper Davies. 

Brooks' then pinned Kai Smith lbw with a yorker to send Warwickshire into the last five overs needing another 42. Denied the required boundaries by disciplined, full-length bowling, they entered the final over requiring 21. That was well beyond the tail and they accompany their opponents out of the tournament. 


Warwickshire captain Will Rhodes said: 

"It was another great game and one we will reflect on where there are a few areas where we could have squeezed three or four runs here and there and they are the few runs we lost by. 

"We definitely thought 266 was chaseable. We had a really good first 35 overs with the ball and then in the last 15 overs they played nicely which showed that, in any form of white ball cricket, if you have wickets in hand you can take the game away from the opposition. 

"Ethan batted really well. He showed a lot of maturity and has wanted that chance to go past 20 or 30 and he did that today. But just when we thought  we had the game under control, Jack Brooks showed his experience and what a good campaigner he is to get Ethan out. 

"We are disappointed, absolutely, not to have qualified but I think we have had a really good campaign, given it a red hot crack and got some youngsters playing who have all come in and done really well."  


Somerset all-rounder Lewis Goldsworthy said: 

"It felt like we added all the facets together today and it was a very good win. With the bat and the ball in this comp we have played well in places but today we put it all together. 

"I enjoy batted with James - he is a ridiculous talent, the way we plays and the maturity he shows is remarkable really at just 18 and he has such a good future at the club. I think having that left hand-right hand combination sometimes helps. It was tough out there early on with a bit of nip and Liam Norwell bowled well at us. 

"Then we bowled really well and having Josh Davey, another senior bowler, back in the side helped. Towards the end we built pressure, limited the boundaries and got a couple of wickets which always helps." 


 Yorkshire vs Hampshire, Scarborough

Aneurin Donald’s blistering career best 76 set in-form Hampshire up for a resounding Royal London Cup victory against Yorkshire at Scarborough, ensuring a home semi-final next Tuesday as a result.

Group B winners Hampshire’s 16th win in 17 games across all competitions - they comfortably defended a 314 target to win by 72 runs - also left the Vikings sweating on their own qualification hopes.

Yorkshire knew a final day win would secure third place in the table and an away eliminator clash on Friday. But defeat would open the door for Kent and Glamorgan below them, one of whom needed to win to eliminate the hosts, the latter with a strong enough net run-rate. 

At the time of defeat here, games involving Kent and Glamorgan were still in play.

Donald clattered five sixes in a 31-ball innings which was the feature of the Hawks’ 313 for nine having been inserted, while opener Ben Brown made 60 and Tom Prest 55. 

Matthew Revis claimed his own career best four for 77 from nine overs before adding 41 as Yorkshire attempted to recover from 31 for four in reply before being bowled out for a respectable 241 inside 46 overs. 

New ball seamer John Turner impressed with five for 41 from 8.3.

Hampshire lost Nick Gubbins for 38, lbw sweeping at the off-spin of Dom Bess, as their score fell to 87 for one in the 19th over on a pitch which nibbled early on.

Brown scored the bulk of his runs behind square on both sides of the wicket.

Prest slog-swept Bess over midwicket for his first six and drove Revis on the up over cover for his second. The latter came two balls before Brown drove the same bowler to cover, leaving the score at 150 for two in the 33rd.

But that only paved the way for Donald’s pyrotechnics. 

Prest was 40 when the Welshman arrived at the crease, and both men were on 52 when the latter reached his fifty off 23 balls. 

At one stage, he hit four sixes in as many balls, three off Jack Shutt’s off-spin. He pummelled the leg-side boundary and scattered spectators in a 3,500 crowd.

But Yorkshire limited the damage impressively. 

First they removed Prest and Donald with successive balls at the end of the 41st over and the start of the 42nd - 243 for four. Prest was superbly caught at long-off by a diving Will Luxton, on as substitute fielder, off Bess before Donald picked out cover off Matthew Waite.

Revis then added another three wickets as Hampshire lower order succumbed against a host of miscues, the visitors losing seven wickets for 76 in the last 10 overs.

Revis had Fletcha Middleton caught and bowled, Toby Albert caught at cover and Turner caught at backward point.

However, Yorkshire’s top order was obliterated inside eight overs amidst significant new ball movement through the air and off the pitch.

Turner jagged one back in at Will Fraine and bowled him before getting a squared up Fin Bean caught behind. 

Either side of those wickets, Ian Holland forced Harry Duke into a miscued pull to wide mid-on and bowled George Hill through the gate with an in-swinger, leaving the hosts 31 for four after 7.1 overs.

A 55-run stand between Jonny Tattersall and Waite, 25 and 28, gave Yorkshire brief respite. But they fell caught at midwicket and behind inside three overs to seamers John Campbell and Scott Currie - 106 for six in the 17th.

Revis and Bess (27) then shared 64 for the seventh wicket as Yorkshire battled back again. However, the latter was forced to retire hurt having been struck on the back of the head by a wild throw from Middleton at cover as he tried to complete a quick single.

That came at 170 for six after 32, bringing Harry Sullivan into the game as concussion sub.

Revis was caught at point by Middleton off Currie shortly afterwards before Ben Coad (24) handed Turner his third wicket at 228 for six after 42.  

He bowled Sullivan for wicket number four before the game was wrapped up when Shutt top-edged him behind. Loten finished unbeaten with a consolatory 43, Yorkshire’s top score.

Yorkshire captain Jonny Tattersall said: “It’s very disappointing. We felt like we could chase that down, but we just didn’t get it right early on with the bat. 

“It’s been the story of our tournament that we’ve had 10-15 overs in each match that we’ve lost that’s cost us. That’s the fine margins of professional cricket.

“I thought we were excellent with the ball first up. We felt like we could have had a bit more luck and some early wickets. The period from 30 to 40 overs, Donald chanced his arm, and it was a great wicket to bat on. It showed that he was setting up to try and hit every ball out of the park.

“Overall, we were happy with 312. It’s quick-scoring here at Scarborough, and it was an absolutely cracking pitch. 

“That showed in us losing a lot of wickets early and still not being miles away at the end.

“Dom is not great. The throw came hurtling in from no more than 20 yards away, and it hit him straight on the back of the head, which is obviously not a great place to be hit.

“He’s feeling a little bit rubbish at the minute, but fingers crossed he’s ok and will make a full recovery.”


Hampshire batter Aneurin Donald said:  “It’s awesome (to get a home semi-final). The boys are really proud of that. 

“It’s a long way up to Scarborough, so it’s nice to get the job done and secure an extra couple of days off. 

“It’s great to see all the youngsters come through and perform. At this stage, it seems like everyone has stood up and taken their chance. It was nice to see a couple of the oldies contribute today! 

“We thought we had a big score. The wicket got better, and Yorkshire struck it pretty well throughout. It was just early wickets from our seamers.

“We actually thought it did a bit early on, Nick Gubbins and Ben Brown took the shine off and allowed the rest of us to take advantage. 

“I owed the coach and the boys a few runs, so it was nice to slog a few up in the air. Just for me, I felt like I took the shackles off and went back to what I’m good at. Hopefully that’s the way forwards.”

Sussex vs Middlesex, Hove

Sussex 400-4 (Alsop 189 not out, Pujara 132); Middlesex 243 (Cracknell 71).   Sussex won by 157 runs.

Sussex propelled themselves towards a home quarter-final in the Royal London One-Day Cup after their rampant batsmen made 400 for four against Middlesex at Hove, hitting 249 from their last 20 overs.

They were led by an unbeaten 189 not out by Tom Alsop, his best List A score, while captain Chet Pujara continued his spectacular form with 132, the pair adding 240 for the third wicket in 27 overs as Sussex topped Group A with six wins in eight matches. With results going against them elsewhere, Middlesex were knocked out of the competition.

The Sussex total was their highest score in one-day cricket, beating their 399 in a 40-over game in Horsham.  They scored 397 for five against Somerset at Taunton on Friday.

Long before they were finished they had passed their previous one-day best against Middlesex, 333 for four at Hove last year.  It was also the highest one-day score against Middlesex, beating Nottinghamshire’s 368 for two at Lord’s in the same competition in 2014.

That left Middlesex needing to beat their previous best chase (292 for four against Surrey at Lord’s in 2014) by a big margin.  Essentially, Middlesex were required to play Twenty20 cricket for 50 overs.  And, with their deep batting, they kept coming at the Sussex bowlers even as the wickets tumbled.  Joe Cracknell led the way with a 73-ball 71, with ten fours and there were plenty of bright cameos but the task was overwhelming and they were bowled out for 243 in 38.1 overs.

When Sussex started their innings they looked unlikely to scale the heights.  Invited to bat in damp conditions, under floodlights and heavy clouds, they must  have suspected the odds were against them, even though the depleted Middlesex attack was missing the injured Umesh Yadav, Toby Greatwood and Ethan Bamber.

Tom Alsop, back from a back spasm and replacing Dan Ibrahim, and Ali Orr, in subdued form after his double century at Taunton, looked sedate rather than commanding as they took 58 runs off the opening ten overs.

Orr fell for 20 off 28 deliveries, caught behind as he played a diffident stroke against the impressive Thilan Walallawita, and it was 95 for two in the 18th over when Tom Clark chopped on a wide one from Max Harris.  Alsop and Pujara then put on 240 for the third wicket in 27 overs.

Pujara started methodically, as he always does, and reached his half-century from 49 deliveries; he then doubled his strike rate, scoring 82 more from another 41, finishing with 20 fours and two sixes in his third century in the competition.

After 32 overs Sussex were 160 for two, scoring at exactly five an over.  They added 240 runs in their final 18 overs.  The spinners Walallawita and Luke Hollman – early on – put a brake on the Sussex scoring. But Middlesex’s success with their slower bowlers ended when Stoneman’s three overs went for 33 and both Alsop and Pujara got after Martin Andersson, who conceded 110 in his nine overs, and Harris, who went from 90 in ten.

Tom Alsop (Sussex):  “Puj  [Chet Pujara] and I just wanted to take the game deep.  It’s a high-scoring ground. Credit to their spinners, I think they bowled well. We wanted to get through that tricky period without losing too many wickets and then attack the last 15 or 20 overs.

 “Credit to everyone at the club.  We’re allowed to go out there and express ourselves.  Puj has got such a calming influence.  He seems to have everything under control.  He understands the game so well, and we just feed off him. It just feels brilliant to get through to the next stage at home, where we know the conditions.”


Richard Johnson (Middlesex coach):  “It was a tough day.  We thought it was a good wicket to chase on.  But we didn’t get the right end of the conditions.  We’re a young bowling line-up and it was very wet out there.

“There were a couple of outstanding innings from Sussex, one from a world-class player and the other from Tom Alsop, who played extremely well.  But we didn’t put the ball in the right place enough.  We didn’t nail our skills, but it’s all in the bank for learning.” 

Northamptonshire vs Derbyshire, Northampton

Northamptonshire Steelbacks 311 for seven (50 overs)

 Derbyshire Falcons 312 for two

 Derbyshire won by eight wickets

Luis Reece scored his second century of this year’s Royal London Cup campaign to set up a Derbyshire victory by eight wickets against Northamptonshire on a day of records and big runs at Wantage Road.

Reece (106) shared a mammoth opening partnership worth 204 with his captain Billy Godleman (87) as Derbyshire chased down 312 to win. It was a record stand in List A games between these two sides, the highest for any Derbyshire wicket beating the previous best between Kim Barnett and Chris Adams in 1997.

When both fell, Derbyshire were behind the run rate but Shan Masood (53) and Harry Came (44) kept up the pace, making short work of the remaining runs in a blaze of boundaries with seven balls to spare.

It was Derbyshire's highest successful run chase in all List A cricket, beating their previous best of 309, also against Northamptonshire, in 2017.

Earlier Lewis McManus hit his maiden List A century (107 off 111 balls). The keeper shared a stand of 161 with Tom Taylor (75 off 54 balls) who hit his highest score in all formats in Northamptonshire colours. It was the biggest Northamptonshire List A partnership for any wicket against Derbyshire beating the previous best of 158 between David Sales and Alex Wakely in 2012.

Earlier Derbyshire made an immediate breakthrough when Ben Aitchison struck in consecutive overs to remove the dangerous pair of Ricardo Vasconcelos, who was caught off a top edge, and skipper Will Young who edged to the keeper to leave the hosts on 19 for two.

Saif Zaib and Emilio Gay led the recovery, putting on 58 in 10 overs, with Zaib stroking boundaries off three consecutive deliveries from Sam Conners before Gay (29) chipped Reece straight to short midwicket.

After putting on 59 with McManus, Zaib (62) reverse swept Mattie McKiernan straight to Mark Watt behind square. It was to be the last wicket for some time as Taylor joined forces with McManus.

McManus’ first 50 included just three boundaries but he ran sharply between the wickets and reached the milestone off 79 deliveries. From there he accelerated with the rest of his runs coming off just 32 balls. He hit Watt straight down the ground for six and hooked Nick Potts and Conners behind square for two further maximums. Conners went the distance again when McManus struck him high over deep midwicket and smashed him down the pitch.

Taylor smote Watt over long-on for six but was content to let McManus have the strike initially. He took a liking to Potts though, playing a stinging drive through the covers.and whipping him through midwicket. He crunched Connors down the ground for four and scooped him over the keeper to bring up his fifth List A half-century. The carnage continued when he swung Reece high over long-on into the stands for six.

The pair were finally parted when McManus was run out while Taylor fell when he missed an attempted scoop and was bowled by Conners.

Derbyshire got off to a bright start in the chase. Reece soon found the boundary, playing a brace of perfect on-drives down the pitch off Taylor, scooping him for another boundary and whipping Nathan Buck over backward square leg for six. He advanced to his half-century off exactly 50 deliveries with his eighth boundary.

Godleman too was timing the ball beautifully through the covers and reached his half-century by pulling Buck aggressively for four. 

The Falcons otherwise breezed past 150 without loss in the 26th over with neither batter looking troubled or needing to take many risks, most of the boundaries coming along the floor rather than through the air. Northamptonshire’s largely inexperienced attack seldom looked threatening after almost drawing the edge in the opening overs. Wickets looked most likely to come through spin with Zaib having three lbw appeals turned down in two overs.

Derbyshire passed 200 in the 35th over but when Reece attempted to force the pace, coming down the pitch to Taylor, he could only pick out Gay who took an excellent tumbling legside boundary catch. He had faced 120 balls and hit 13 fours and one six.

Four overs later Godleman (99 balls) departed too, run out thanks to some sharp work by Sales with Derbyshire still needing 91 with nine overs to go.

Shan Masood held the key to Derbyshire’s hopes and he came out determined to play his shots, whipping a legside half volley from Sales off his pads for six, supported by Came who struck two big sixes as the pair added 50 in five overs to leave Derbyshire needing 36 off the last five.


Derbyshire opener Luis Reece who scored 106 said: “It’s been a frustrating comp. It’s a comp where we should have progressed through. Some close games that we've fallen the wrong side of the result. And obviously, the minus two points [deduction] doesn't help. But it's probably a comp that we can look back at and say that we played some really good cricket, but we’ve probably just fallen on the wrong side of a couple of results that would have seen us progress through the group stage.

“Even against Yorkshire at Chesterfield, we got probably the worst end of those conditions there and we still managed to put up a hell of a fight. So it shows that we're playing some really good cricket. It's a bit bittersweet that we've won this one today.

“I enjoy playing and batting with Billy a lot. We've had some big partnerships through both of our careers, and he's someone I enjoy batting with and it's great to see him play the way he did today. He's one of the best going when he plays like that. So it was great to see and great to see him back in some form.

"We've had a look at the way the comp has gone and a lot of the games have been 50 for four and all this sort of stuff, and then it's playing catch up in the middle. So we weren't too bothered if we got off to a slow start as long as we kept wickets in the hutch and then made it easy for ourselves in the back end. As it turned out we finished with 64 off the powerplay today which is probably perfect.”


Northamptonshire captain Will Young said: “It felt a little bit like deja vu today, to be honest, defending a total, which we thought was competitive. And we just weren't able to take wickets at the top or through the middle. And they just managed to keep to the run rate required and hold there. So, there's been a few games that fans here have been watching and it's come down to the last over or two, but unfortunately, we've been on the losing side. So it's three games.

"If you look into it further, I suppose you could say we've only won games chasing. So, there's certainly some room for improvement there. But I think specifically when we’re posting totals and defending a total, we've got to be able to do that, if we’ve any chance of being in the quarterfinals in the future.

“This competition for Northants has been an opportunity to try some different combinations with the bowlers and there's been a lot of variety there. So I suppose, we've had to try a few things and see what works and what doesn't. It's crucial to be able to take wickets in this format, otherwise the runs can get away from you fairly quickly.

“It was a timely reminder from Tom Taylor to show what he can do with the bat. It was nice to see him striking the ball so cleanly. Given the added responsibility to bat at six today, I think he did that brilliantly, which is fantastic with an eye on the Championship games coming around the corner.”


Leicestershire vs Durham, Leicester

Leicester: Durham 197 all out Leicestershire 198-8 Leicestershire win by two wickets

CONTRASTING half-centuries from Rishi Patel and Arron Lilley saw Leicestershire complete a nervy victory over Durham and qualify for the knock-out stages of the Royal London One Day Cup.

It had looked as though it was going to be a far more comfortable win for the Foxes when they reduced the visitors to 54-7 after winning the toss and bowling first, but brave and intelligent batting from a young lower order saw Durham post 197 before 18-year-old Stanley McAlindon, who had earlier scored his maiden half-century, picked up four wickets and the veteran Chris Rushworth three to reduce the Foxes to 158-8.

It needed an unbeaten ninth wicket partnership of 30 between bowlers Beuran Hendricks and Eddie Barnes to see Leicestershire home, the two points securing second place in Group A and a home quarter-final on Friday.

Put into bat on a hybrid pitch being used for the second time in four days, Durham were quickly in trouble. Graham Clark, scorer of a half century in each of his two previous innings, looked to cut a delivery from Chris Wright, but steered the ball low towards backward point, where Patel dived forward to take a smart low catch. Jonathan Bushnell was also caught by Patel, this time a rather more comfortable chance given off the leading edge, but Sean Dickson may have been unfortunate to be given out leg before to a Wiaan Mulder delivery which cut back and may have been missing leg stump.

There were no question marks over the dismissal of Liam Trevaskis, bowled by a Wright delivery that swung back into him, before former Australia international Nick Maddinson, having battled his way to 20, limply hung out his bat at Hendricks and feathered a catch behind to wicket-keeper Harry Swindells.

The next delivery saw the end of Tom Mackintosh, again somewhat unlucky to be given out off a Hendricks lifter that appeared to come off his shoulder rather than his bat before looping gently to Patel, and when acting captain Paul Coughlin drove airily at a Mulder out-swinger and edged to Swindells, Durham were 54-7 in just the 20th over.

It was down to the young tail to drag them towards any sort of score, and this they did admirably. Seventeen-year-old Mitchell Killeen, son of former Durham stalwart Neil, led the way, hitting 32 off 52 balls and putting together a half-century partnership with George Drissell before going back to pull a delivery from occasional off-spinner Louis Kimber that stayed low, sliding underneath his bat and hitting him in front of all three stumps.

Drissell, having gone to 30, holed out to long off, but not before putting on another 44 for the ninth wicket with McAlindon, and McAlindon himself then reached a maiden half-century, the highlight consecutive sixes off Scott Steel, before being caught and bowled in the final over of the innings. The final three wickets of the innings realised 143 runs.

Leicestershire made the worst possible start in their chase, Rushworth pinning Nick Welch leg before with his first delivery. Steel, making his first appearance of the season in the competition, was then bowled by Rushworth off a thick inside edge, and when the in-form Louis Kimber spooned a simple catch to mid-on, the home crowd's silence was deafening. Captain Lewis Hill came and went quickly, cutting at a wide one from McAlindon and giving a simple catch behind, and soon afterwards Mulder, who has to some extent carried Leicestershire's batting in the competition, was well caught by Maddinson high to his left as he failed to get over a cut at McAlindon.

Swindells, back on his stumps, was plumb leg before two balls later, but Patel, who had come in first wicket down, batted with real responsibility, and with Lilley riding his luck massively, put together a partnership of 98 for the seventh wicket. They were helped by some curious decisions by Coughlin, most notably that to give an over to occasional left-armer Maddinson - that solitary over cost 15 runs, and handed the initiative to the home team.

Both Patel and Lilley went on the same score, Patel caught at mid-on and Lilley behind the wicket, but Hendricks and Barnes held their nerve to see the Foxes home.

Leicestershire head coach Paul Nixon: "We've been pretty consistent with our one-day cricket in recent weeks, so I think we deserved to go through - and these sort of tight wins give players a lot of confidence going forward.

"It's a shame we weren't able to finish off their innings at 54-7, but that's how it goes sometimes, and well done to their youngsters, they batted really sensibly.

"Then Rishi (Patel) got his rewards for all the work he's done behind the scenes in recent weeks, the 100 balls he faced on a tricky pitch were worth 150 in other circumstances.

"We bat all the way down - Beuran [Hendricks]  is so calm, I think he actually went for a doze when we were five down and didn't wake up again until shortly before he had to go out and bat. We got over the line, so happy days, we'll enjoy that feeling, then get down to preparing for Friday. We fancy ourselves against anyone at home."

Durham bowler Stanley McAlindon: "We're a bit annoyed to have finished the way we have, the last few games, but we pushed a few sides at least.

"When I went in we just looked to build partnerships and have a bit of a finish at the end and it sort of worked out - their bowlers were top class at the start though

"We weren't sure how the deck was going to play but if you hit your length hard you got a reward and I'll take the wickets I got. The experience in this competition for me has been brilliant, it's so good to be playing against top class players, you learn so much. It's been a special day for me, and I feel as though I've learned so much."


Nottinghamshire vs Surrey, Nettleworth

Notts Outlaws finished their Royal London Cup campaign with back-to-back wins to clinch a place in the quarterfinals.

Notts Outlaws finished their Royal London Cup campaign with back-to-back wins but were left waiting to learn if their tenuous chance of qualifying for the quarter-finals would be realised.

After last Saturday’s thumping victory over Leicestershire, the Outlaws registered another emphatic success, defeating Surrey by eight wickets at Welbeck.

But they needed results at Leicester, Hove and Edgbaston to go in their favour, with a conclusion a long way off at all of those venues after Ben Slater (81 not out) and Lyndon James (54) had helped them chase down 182 with more than 18 overs to spare at the north Nottinghamshire venue.

Surrey had been bowled out for 181 in 39.2 overs, seamer Toby Pettman finishing with four for 44 in only his second senior appearance for Nottinghamshire. It could have been worse for the visitors, who had been 36 for five.

Tom Lawes, the 19-year-old all-rounder, countered with a List A career-best 75 off 63 balls after being dropped on seven, but Brett Hutton followed up his seven for 26 against Leicestershire with three for 24. The other three wickets were shared between left-arm spinners Liam Patterson-White and Fateh Singh.

On a green-tinged pitch and with cloud cover at the start, Pettman and Hutton more than justified skipper Haseeb Hameed’s decision to bowl first as Surrey, one of only three teams in Group A who were completely out of contention, emerged from the opening powerplay in trouble at 31 for four.

Pettman struck first as Surrey captain Ben Geddes edged to first slip, following up his first wicket for Nottinghamshire with a second, as more away movement accounted for Cameron Steel, caught at second slip.

At 24, the right-armer, who joined the county after leaving Oxford University with a double first in classics, is not short of experience, having made 10 first-class appearances and taken 42 wickets, although none yet for Nottinghamshire.

Pettman then held a simple catch at third man as Hutton weighed in by dismissing Ryan Patel via a top edge before having John Blake caught behind. Hutton had 18-year-old Sheridon Gumbs caught behind in his next over, pushing forward in much the same way as Blake to a ball that found a thin edge.

Lawes had his notable life when Hameed put down a straightforward chance at mid-on off Dane Paterson and survived a half-chance on 12 when his drive in the air brushed the fingertips of the South African pace bowler on the way to the boundary.

He made the Outlaws pay, adding 55 for the sixth wicket with Nico Reifer, who fell to a sharp return catch taken by Patterson-White, and 77 for the seventh with Nick Kimber, before following a couple of meaty blows off Pettman that brought him six and four with a miscue to backward point.

Kimber was bowled by Singh as he went to cut and the last four Surrey wickets fell for 13, Pettman picking up his fourth when Matt Dunn hit straight to mid-off.

Sol Budinger, who turned 23 on Sunday, launched the Outlaws chase in typical rumbustious style, smashing 32 off 20 balls, half of those runs accrued in three blows as he went four-six-dot-six off Lawes before perishing to a smart, low catch at mid-on in the same over.

At 68 for one off 10, the Outlaws were well ahead of the required rate and Slater and James, the former’s punchy style contrasting with the latter’s elegance, seldom looked troubled in adding 114 in 23 overs before the latter picked out the fielder at deep backward square.

Slater, who boasts a remarkable List A average of 55.64 in 52 matches, reached his half-century from 61 balls with five fours and a six hoiked over backward square off Conor McKerr, adding five more boundarie, culminating in the winning one off leg-spinner Cameron Steel.

©Cricket World 2022