< >
CricketWorld.com, Latest Cricket News & Results

Specsavers County Championship 2019 – June 2nd - 6th – Live Match Updates

Specsavers County Championship 2019 – June 2nd - 6th – Live Match Updates
©Cricket World

All the match updates from the latest round of Specsavers County Championship 2019  starting June 2nd  and finishing on June 6th.

Division One – June 3rd – June 6th

Yorkshire v Essex,  Headingley, Leeds 11:00 AM (10:00 AM GMT)

Match Summary

Yorkshire 390 and 107 - 1

Essex 309

Result - Match Drawn

Essex were indebted to last-wicket pair Peter Siddle and Sam Cook for  completing a partnership of 86 at the start of day four as they ended Yorkshire’s slim hopes of a Specsavers County Championship victory at Emerald Headingley.

Siddle and Cook had come together late on day three with Essex 223 for nine replying to Yorkshire’s first-innings 390 and needing to reach 241 to avoid the follow-on.

Australian Siddle hit two sixes to avoid that threat, severely hampering Yorkshire’s chances of victory.

At the start of day four, the hosts still had a slim chance of a win. But the pair, who united for 25 overs in all, advanced the visitors from 252 for nine to 309 all out in the first 70 minutes of the day.

Siddle finished with 60 off 119 balls, his best score in his second season as Essex’s overseas player, while Cook’s career best unbeaten 37 off 74 included a pulled six off Ben Coad.

When Yorkshire started their second innings, they led by 81 with 76 overs remaining in the day. 

They had later reached 107 for one from 42.5 overs when rain forced tea five minutes early, leading by 188. There was no more play possible.

Adam Lyth and Gary Ballance had shared an unbroken 106, with Lyth unbeaten on 56 and Ballance 51 not out.

The latter was on course for his sixth hundred in as many Championship matches, dating back to last season. The Yorkshire record is Len Hutton’s seven in as many matches in 1947 and 1948.

Earlier, Siddle reached his fifty off 82 balls before he was trapped lbw by Steve Patterson to wrap up Essex’s first innings.

New ball seamer Jamie Porter had Will Fraine caught at first slip for a seven-ball duck in the third over of Yorkshire’s second innings, leaving the score at one for one. And from there, the game drifted.

Lyth and Ballance advanced calmly against some tight bowling, although the former did pulled a short ball from off-spinner Simon Harmer over the deep mid-wicket boundary for six midway through the afternoon to move into the thirties (60 for one in the 26th over)

Porter limped off the field five balls into his 10th over, just as Yorkshire’s lead moved beyond 150.

Lyth and Ballance reached their fifties within five minutes of each other deep into the evening, off 128 and 105 respectively.

Tea was then brought forwards by light rain, which became torrential through the tea interval. When hail took over, there was absolutely no chance of more play and umpires Steve O’Shaughnessy and Neil Mallender called a halt to proceedings at 4.05pm.

Unbeaten Yorkshire remain third with two wins and three draws having taken 11 points, while Essex remain fourth having taken nine. They have won two, drawn two and lost one. The gap between the two sides is six points.

Essex have a free week next week, while Yorkshire, who are 25 points behind leaders Somerset, travel to Guildford on Monday to face champions Surrey, who are yet to win in five games.

Warwickshire v Nottinghamshire, Edgbaston, Birmingham 11:00 AM (10:00 AM GMT)

Warwickshire 391-9 dec

Nottingham 97 all out & 354-8

Match Drawn

Bottom-of-the-table Nottinghamshire overcame a mid-afternoon wobble to bat out for a draw against Warwickshire in their Specsavers County Championship Division One tussle at Edgbaston.

Having resumed on the last morning on 116 for one, needing 294 to avoid an innings defeat, the visitors batted through the final day to end on 354 for eight.

The bulk of the defiance came from second-wicket pair Ben Duckett (140, 237 balls, 19 fours, two sixes) and Chris Nash (85, 216 balls, 11 fours) who added 199 in 66 overs.

When they were separated, a flurry of four wickets in nine overs put the visitors back into jeopardy at 255 for five, still 39 behind, but captain Steven Mullaney (29, 91 balls) and Tom Moores (17, 78) dug in to add 60 and, vitally, eat up 27 overs.

Warwickshire skipper Jeetan Patel wheeled way to add four wickets to his first innings six for 16, and take his haul to 22 wickets in the last two championship games, but ultimately the slow pitch, offering little to any bowler, sentenced the match to stalemate.

After his team was skittled for 97 in the first innings, Nottinghamshire head coach Peter Moores demanded much greater application from the batsmen second time round and Duckett and Nash showed exactly what was required. They combined watchful defence with punishment of anything loose during the morning session.

Duckett reached his 16th first-class century, and first for Nottinghamshire, from 155 balls and the second-wicket pair took their side within 55 of the home side's total before Duckett was caught at short leg by Sam Hain off Patel.

That triggered a mini-collapse which revived Warwickshire's hopes of forcing an unlikely victory. Patel tasted more success in his next over when Joe Clarke was brilliantly taken at slip by Will Rhodes, diving to his left almost behind the wicketkeeper.

Armed with the new ball, Henry Brookes then had Samit Patel caught by Hain at third slip and Nash adjudged lbw to a big inswinger.

Mullaney and Moores crucially halted the collapse in nine overs up to tea and resisted into the final session before falling in the space of nine balls, the latter caught at leg-slip off Patel and the former caught behind off Liam Norwell.

That inched the door ajar again for Warwickshire and Luke Fletcher sent up a return catch to Brookes but James Pattinson and Stuart Broad kept their heads down to see the game out.

Surrey v Somerset, Woodbridge Road, Guildford 11:00 AM (10:00 AM GMT)

Match Summary

Surrey 231 all out &164 all out

Somerset 344 all out & 153 all out

Somerset win by 102 runs

A thrilling burst of three wickets in seven balls by Jack Brooks propelled Somerset towards a 102-run victory against Surrey at Guildford that will fuel dreams in the West Country of a historic first County Championship title. 

Surrey were bowled out for 164 in their second innings, losing eight wickets on the final morning in just over an hour and a half. It is Somerset’s fourth win from five matches this season, and takes them to the top of the Division One table with a lead of 15 points over second-placed Hampshire. 

Fast bowler Brooks removed nightwatchman Gareth Batty and then claimed the prized scalps of South African Test batsman Dean Elgar and England wicketkeeper-batsman Ben Foakes in a spell of 5-1-11-3 in the first 45 minutes of a final day that began with champions Surrey, at 99 for 2, needing another 168 runs to beat the team who finished runners-up to them last season.

Having slid to 120 for 5 as a result of Brooks’ triple strike, which gave him overall figures of 5 for 33, Surrey then took further heavy blows from seamer Tim Groenewald, who bowled Scott Borthwick for 45 with his first ball and followed up by pinning Will Jacks leg-before in his second over.

Left-hander Borthwick, who started the day on 35 and had featured in a second wicket stand of 72 in 27 overs with his captain, Rory Burns, on the third evening to raise Surrey hopes, was undone by a superb ball which swung back into him. Jacks, who made 0, had no answer to a nip-backer. 

It was swing, too, which Brooks found from the Railway End to undermine Surrey’s chase in spectacular fashion. Batty, who had begun by edging Brooks safely past third slip for four and had gone to 14 by cover-driving Craig Overton for another boundary, was bowled aiming to pull a ball that was far too full for the shot.

Elgar was also bowled, off the inside edge for a third ball duck, as he tried to dig out a full delivery that curved back into him and Foakes, on 2, nicked a lovely away-swinger and was brilliantly caught low down by Marcus Trescothick at second slip.

Groenewald picked up a third wicket when Rikki Clarke drove at an outswinger and edged to keeper Steven Davies, who took a good tumbling catch in front of first slip, and the end was near for Surrey when Ryan Patel, having swatted Craig Overton over mid wicket for six to go to 27, wafted a catch to gully later in the same over as he tried to engineer a stroke to keep the strike.

It was all over at 12.34pm when Morne Morkel lofted Craig Overton straight to mid off to go for 2, giving the bowler figures of 2 for 59. Groenewald finished with 3 for 29. Somerset took 22 points, and Surrey 4.


Division Two – June 2nd – June 6th

Northamptonshire v Glamorgan, Northampton 11:00 AM (10:00 AM GMT) June 2nd – June 5th

Northamptonshire 209 all out & 195-9

Glamorgan 547 all out

Glamorgan won by an innings and 143 runs

Michael Hogan and Marchant de Lange swept Glamorgan to a thumping victory over Northamptonshire, sharing seven second-innings wickets as Glamorgan won by an innings and 143 runs at Wantage Road.

With all of the final day to bowl Northants out and runs not an issue, de Lange and Hogan took three wickets in the opening 41 minutes of the day, before a further four in the 40 minutes after lunch to settle the contest, with the home side eventually bowled out for 195 just over an hour into the afternoon.

Hogan finished with 4 for 32 and de Lange 3 for 61 to bowl Glamorgan to their second victory of the season, this for a maximum 24 points, and their first triumph by an innings since 2014. Northants slumped to their first defeat of the season in one of their worst performances in recent seasons and claimed only four points.

Having survived 18 overs at the start of their second-innings on day three, Northants resumed with high hopes of batting out the day - as they had in their previous match against Sussex - and after their early-morning slide, settled with a half-century partnership for the fourth wicket. But from 146 for 3 just after lunch, they tumbled away horribly to an ugly defeat.

De Lange set the tone in the first over of the day. To the second ball of the morning, Ben Curran chopped his sixth boundary past third slip to raise fifty in 65 balls but next ball felt for a ball that went across him and took a thin edge through to wicketkeeper Tom Cullen.

Three overs later, Hogan also struck, removing Ricardo Vasconcelos without adding to his overnight 18. Hogan switched over the wicket to the left-hander and edged a full delivery that he tried to play with a slightly angled bat.

And then Alex Wakely, after taking a nasty blow on the hand from a de Lange lifter, played forward to a ball from Hogan that left him just enough to take an edge and provide Cullen with his third catch.

Temba Buvuma and Rob Keogh settled and got through to lunch but in the second over after the break, Hogan angled a full ball into Buvuma, struck him on the boot, and the lbw decision began a remarkable slide.

Bavuma’s dismissal for 34 leaves him with an average of just 21 in six innings so far for Northants - he has five more matches remaining in his stint as overseas player.

Keogh followed in identical fashion, falling over a very full delivery angled in, for a well-compiled 34. The extra pace of de Lange then had Josh Cobb caught behind for a fourth ball duck and Luke Procter also caught at the wicket for a five-ball naught.

It was left to the leg-spin of Manus Labuschagne to finish the job - a quick delivery to bowl Luke Wood for 6 and what proved to be the final wicket, Nathan Buck caught at extra-cover, with Ben Sanderson unable to bat with a hand injury.

Northamptonshire- Ricardo Vasconcelos, Ben Curran, Alex Wakely(c), Temba Bavuma, Rob Keogh, Adam Rossington(wk), Josh Cobb, Luke Procter, Luke Wood, Nathan Buck, Ben Sanderson

Glamorgan - Nick Selman, Charlie Hemphrey, Marnus Labuschagne, David Lloyd(c), Billy Root, Kiran Carlson, Dan Douthwaite, Tom Cullen(wk), Marchant de Lange, Timm van der Gugten, Michael Hogan



Middlesex v Sussex,  Lord's, London 11:00 AM (10:00 AM GMT) June 2nd – June 5th

Match Summary

Middlesex 138 and 293

Sussex 481 - 9 dec

Result - Sussex won by an innings and 50 runs

SUSSEX paceman Ollie Robinson 7-98 left Middlesex with their heaviest County Championship defeat of the modern era after a rain-affected third day at Lord’s.

The previous day -

The right-arm seamer tore out the heart out of the home side’s top order with figures of 4-23, which included a burst of 3-8 in 14 balls.

When the weather closed in to provide temporary respite for the beleaguered Seaxes they were 61-4 still needing 282 to make Sussex bat again.

Perhaps more pertinently, Stuart Law’s side require a further 51 to better their loss by an innings and 232 runs to Sussex at Lord’s in 2005 – their worst defeat against a county side since before the outbreak of World War II.

Robinson, in his first match since injuring his shoulder against Durham back in April, had taken three wickets on the first day as the Lord’s tenants were hustled out for 138.

And in more seamer friendly conditions he was close to unplayable second time around.

The 25-year-old and his new-ball partner Mir Hamza set Middlesex openers Max Holden and Sam Robson a searching examination in the morning gloom.

Both bowlers beat the bat a number of times and it was no surprise when Holden edged a ball leaving him a touch on the off-stump line to Luke Wells at fourth slip.

Holden will have been left doubly frustrated by the fact just four balls later, rain and bad light intervened for the first time, driving the players off for an early lunch.

The shortened first session meant Robinson had plenty of energy in reserve to take up where he left off upon the resumption and he did so to devastating effect.

Moving the ball both ways off the seam, he castled Robson (23) with one which trapped the former England man on the crease and bowled him through the gate.

Home skipper Dawid Malan was then undone by one which went the other way, feathering the thinnest of edges to Chris Jordan at first slip.

And still worse was to come for Stuart Law’s side when Stevie Eskinazi poked tentatively at another ball on a nagging off-stump line to give Luke Wells his second catch of the day.

Nick Gubbins and James Harris staved off any further disasters before the rain came again to prevent any further play.

Middlesex - Sam Robson, Max Holden, Nick Gubbins, Dawid Malan(c), Stevie Eskinazi, James Harris, John Simpson(wk), Toby Roland-Jones, Ollie Rayner, Ethan Bamber, Tim Murtagh

Sussex - Philip Salt, Luke Wells, Harry Finch, Stiaan van Zyl, Laurie Evans, Ben Brown(c)(wk), David Wiese, Chris Jordan, Ollie Robinson, Will Beer, Mir Hamza


Durham v Derbyshire, Chester-le-Street 11:00 AM (10:00 AM GMT)

Match Summary

Durham 293 and 242

Derbyshire 268 and 238

Result - Durham won by 29 runs

Durham produced a thrilling performance late in the day to secure their first Specsavers County Championship Division Two win of the season, beating Derbyshire by 29 runs at Emirates Riverside.

Alex Lees set up a match-winning position with his first century for the club, displaying patience at the crease. His partnership with Ned Eckersley allowed the home side to set Derbyshire a total of 268 to chase. Momentum swung one way then the other on the final day as Durham initially held the advantage before the visitors struck back.

Matt Critchley appeared to have put his team on course for victory with an innings of 71. However, his dismissal late in the day produced a staggering collapse as the visitors lost their final four wickets in eight deliveries when Chris Rushworth and Ben Raine pounced. The result ended Durham's worst start to the campaign, although they remain bottom of the table.

Durham began the day with a 185-run lead and were able to build on their advantage as Lees and Eckersley reached their century stand from 22 overs, continuing their impressive work from Wednesday evening. Eckersley reached his first half-century for Durham from 91 deliveries, playing a vital knock alongside the opener. Their partnership was broken on 123 by Critchley when Eckersely picked out Logan van Deep on the leg-side boundary.

His dismissal sparked a collapse in the lower order as Raine, Brydon Carse and Matty Potts all fell cheaply. Lees was in a scramble to reach three figures, but he reached the milestone from 240 balls, getting over the line with a six off Critchley. The innings ended when Rushworth was run out, leaving the visitors a target of 268 after the hosts were bowled out for 242.

Derbyshire were solid in their response at the top of the innings as Luis Reece and Billy Godleman saw off the threat from the new ball. They were able to reach lunch unscathed, and the two players recorded their second fifty partnership of the game. However, Reece played a loose drive at a delivery from Potts and was caught behind by Eckersley. Wayne Madsen's poor game continued when he collected a pair after falling to Raine for the second time in the match.

Rushworth was denied the scalp of Godleman when he overstepped after the opener edged to Cameron Bancroft at second slip. However, he was not to be denied, pinning the Derbyshire skipper lbw for 42 with a fine delivery. Tom Lace continued the procession for the visitors when he was bowled by Raine for 24 on the stroke of tea.

After the interval, Critchley led the Derbyshire counterattack putting the pressure back on the Durham bowlers with a flurry of boundaries. Bancroft has the opportunity to remove Critchley on 22, but he missed the opportunity off Potts.  The Derbyshire man made him pay and put on fifty for the fifth wicket with Alex Hughes in 12.1 overs, whittling down the target for the visitors.

Critchley's approach unsettled the home side, forcing Bancroft into numerous bowling changes. Carse was able to break the stand at 85 when he bowled Hughes for 40, although Critchley carried on to reach his second fifty of the game from 61 deliveries. Raine returned to halt the Derbyshire charge, removing Leus du Plooy who knicked behind to Eckersley.

The game hinged on Critchley and he seemingly had the chase in control before attempting to go for a big strike off Rushworth. He was caught on the boundary by Trevaskis, which saw his team crumble under the pressure. Derbyshire lost three wickets in four balls as Harvey Hosein was run out before Logan van Beek was bowled by Rushworth. Raine ended the innings to secure the victory for the hosts by bowling Palladino for a duck, prompting huge celebrations from the home side.

Lancashire vs Leicestershire, Aigburth, Liverpool 11:00 AM (10:00 AM GMT)

Match Summary

Lancashire 449

Leicestershire 288 and 151 - 5

Result - Match Drawn

Lancashire returned to the top of Division Two of the Specsavers County Championship despite being denied a fourth win of the season by a battling Leicestershire side.

A combination of rain and some resolute batting from Paul Horton and Hassam Azad conspired to frustrate the Red Rose throughout the final day at Aigburth, resulting in a draw which leaves Lancashire, who are now 11 points clear of Glamorgan, claiming 13 points and Leicestershire nine.

Resuming on five for one after following on and trailing Lancashire’s first innings score of 449 by 156 runs, the Foxes slowly dug in for the long day ahead with opener Horton and night watchman Callum Parkinson happy to prod and block their way through tricky opening spells from Graham Onions, Richard Gleeson and Tom Bailey.

With rain still in the air following day three’s near wash-out, only 40 minutes of play were possible before the first of the morning’s showers, by which time Leicestershire had reached 21 for one.

Play resumed at around 12.25pm, but just 16 more balls were possible before the rain returned and the players departed for an early lunch at 12.45pm with the score 26 for one.

The wet morning ensured 14 overs had been lost by the time the player’s reappeared, with it soon becoming clear that Lancashire’s only real chance of pushing for a win was for quick wickets following the interval.

Instead, the hosts were denied by one of their own, as Horton, a former Lancashire opener and adopted Liverpudlian who plays for nearby Sefton Park, returned to haunt the Red Rose with a painstaking innings of 49 off 151 balls, before he was deceived by a quicker delivery from Liam Livingstone and chopped onto his stumps.

The other batsman to depart was Leicestershire’s second night watchman of the innings, Callum Parkinson, who had done his job admirably in making 15 runs from 58 balls, when he edged to Livingstone at second slip off Gleeson with the score 30 for two.

Lending valuable support to Horton throughout the session was Azad, who showed creditable patience as he helped his more experienced teammate in eking out a stand of 57 runs for the third wicket.

At tea, Azad remained unbeaten on 24 off 100 balls, with Neil Dexter joining him as Leicestershire went into the interval 93 for three and trailing by 68 runs.

A draw seemed inevitable and with Livingstone and Steven Croft twirling away at each end very little happened until Azad edged Croft behind to Dane Vilas on the stroke of 5pm for 39 off 156 deliveries.

As the final hour began, the visitors still needed 24 runs to make their opponents bat again and there was further drama when Dexter was trapped in front by Onions for 27, 21 runs short of the target.

From then on attrition was the order of the day with fielders crowded around Mark Cosgrove and Colin Ackermann and multiple appeals every time the ball passed the bat or cannoned into the pad.

When Livingstone, who bowled 36 overs for his one for 40, had Ackermann dropped at bat pad by Keaton Jennings, with the deficit still 12 runs, the game was probably up and 20 minutes later the umpires finally called time at 6pm with Leicestershire closing on 151 for five.

©Cricket World 2019