< >
CricketWorld.com, Latest Cricket News & Results

Surrey Win Delayed Giffard Plate Final

Surrey beat Scotland by four wickets to win the British Police Cricket Club Giffard Plate Final which was originally scheduled to be held last year.

The forecast was gloomy but despite expected overnight rain the surface was fast drying due to some gusty conditions and some unexpected sun. Surrey won the toss and opted to have a bowl.

Scotland opened with Dalgleish and Foster (17) who held firm until the 13th over when the latter was run out with the score on 31. Weir (1) followed soon after which brought debutant Carlyle to the crease. He put on 50 with Dalgleish in six overs taking the score to 90 before Dalgleish (27) was trapped lbw by Chant.

Rodger then joined Carlyle in a fourth-wicket stand worth 127 which saw them find the boundary with regularity, and other than a reasonable offering to backward point both found gaps in the field rather than going the aerial route.

The fluent Carlyle had quickly gone to 80 when Rodger (54) departed having edged one to short third man or thereabouts, and Palin (0) followed two balls later in the same spell from Adkin.

Carlyle was not going to be denied his maiden hundred and pushed a couple of singles in the 43rd over to get over the line. A couple of lusty blows from Bryson (9) and Rana (6) took the score to 242 which looked a tough ask as weather closed in.

After a sumptuous tea, play resumed and what a start for Scotland as Surrey lost West first ball caught at mid-on by the jubilant Greyvenstein only for rain to fall and then cause a delay.

After the break Surrey rebuilt with Adkin and Patey taking the score to 40 from six overs. Patey's (3) support role ended when Carlyle took a smart catch at point and Adkin was joined by Clark. They maintained the tempo reaching 104 before Clark (31) fell to an excellent catch at long-on.

Intermittent rain threatened the game in the 17th over with the result in the balance but again it brightened and Surrey resumed eventually losing Adkin (50) to a fine catch by Dalgleish in the deep.

Another heavy shower delayed proceedings but the sun made a welcome reappearance to enable a resumption. Surrey faltered as Warn and Marshall toiled for a spell. Warn (5) eventually fell to Rodger bringing Meyer to the middle and he injected much-needed momentum.

Marshall (64) went on the offensive including three maximums before he too fell to another assured catch in the deep. Meyer (35) continued to make inroads assisted by McDermott (18) enduring the fading light until 20:39 to complete the run chase with five overs to spare.

Ben West received the Giffard Plate from Peter Evans (CEO Police Credit Union). Despite some good performances from Adkin (50 & 2-35) Chant (2-30) and Marshall (64) the Man of the Match, as adjudicated by the two umpires, went deservedly to Dave Carlyle for his 100 (on debut) for Police Scotland.

Ockbrook & Borrowash CC were perfect hosts and both sides played out an excellent final tie in the right spirit.


© Cricket World 2015

BPCC - Arc