Tough Weekend For Hartlepool

It was a tough weekend for Hartlepool
It was a tough weekend for Hartlepool
©Hartlepool CC

Hartlepool Cricket Club endured a difficult weekend with the first team hanging on for a draw and a defeat for the second team leaving them at the bottom of the league table.

First Team Save Draw In Derby Game

After Saturday’s washed-out fixture, the 1st XI welcomed local rivals Seaton Carew to HQ for the first top flight meeting between the two sides. A hotly anticipated fixture by both sets of supporters meant a large crowd was in attendance at Park Drive which made for a great atmosphere throughout the day.

The wet weather over the weekend meant some moisture still remained in the playing surface and Hartlepool hoped to capitalise on this after captain Marc Symington won the toss and elected to bowl.

Things started well for the home side with Symington leading from the front and striking twice within three overs before his spell was ended prematurely by a knee injury. Brother Craig Symington took over bowling duties and swung the ball to return figures of two for 15 from 15.1 overs.

Wickets fell regularly as the match wore on (Callum Prosser taking two for 45 and Jonathan Rickard two for 21) but resistance from the visitors came through Martin Skirving who batted positively in making 59 not out to see his side reach 202 for nine after 50 overs.

The reply started dismally as Neil Coverdale was removed in the first over and the run chase was never able to gather momentum.

Jonathan Rickard and Marc Symington looked to be setting a solid platform until Rickard was removed for 21 and brothers Marc and Craig took the score to 93 before both fell in quick succession.

Captain Marc Symington top scored with a valiant 44 despite being injured earlier in the game and brother Craig contributed a well-made 25 but it was be of no avail as a middle order batting collapse left the home side hanging on to finish on 108 for nine at the close of play.


2nds Lose, Slip To Bottom

Following Saturday’s washout, the 2nd team travelled to bottom of the table Darlington Railway Athletic hoping for a victory that would pull them away from their relegation rivals. Unfortunately another timid display with the bat meant that instead, RA would secure victory.

The home side were able to welcome back some key performers and it was the returning Andrew Russell who made the early breakthrough. “Pup”, bowling with admirable control, removed four visiting batsmen as his 17 overs of slow-left-arm conceded only 30 runs.

At the other end, the veteran Morgan was finding considerable turn and bounce which the Pool batsmen were unable to cope with and he finished with five for 27.

Only some clean hitting from Darren Peek (32 not out) gave the score any semblance of respectability but 99 all out was always going to be difficult to defend.

In reply, Pool bowled tidily with Chris Smith unlucky not to pick up any wickets which would have been just reward for his 17 overs of toil (0-38).

Pool at least avoided the ignominy of being whitewashed as Josh Cannon and Nicky Rathbone picked up a wicket apiece but the RA still achieved victory with over 20 overs left.


Nominate a Performance of the Week
Become a Profiled Club
Find a Fixture