< >
CricketWorld.com, Latest Cricket News & Results

Vitality Blast 2020: Latest News and Results - Sunday September 20th

Vitality Blast 2020: Latest News and Results - Sunday September 20th
Vitality Blast 2020: Latest News and Results - Sunday September 20th

All the latest news , updates and scores from the Vitality Blast matches today, which will determine who will be the Quarter-Finals.


Vitality Blast Fixture Schedule Sunday September 20th

Birmingham Bears vs Steelbacks Vitality Blast 2020 Edgbaston, Birmingham

Birmingham Bears (191/5, 20 overs) lost to Northants Steelbacks (193 for seven, 18.5 overs) by three wickets. 

Northants Steelbacks booked their place in the Vitality Blast quarter-finals with a stunning three-wicket victory over Birmingham Bears at Edgbaston. 

A wildly fluctuating match was yanked the Steelbacks' way in the closing stages when a violent assault from Tom Taylor (50 not out, 26 balls, seven fours, two sixes) and Graeme White (37 not out, 13 balls, two fours, four sixes) saw them collect an unlikely 73 from the last six overs. 

The Bears totalled a hefty 191 for five having been rescued from 20 for four by a fifth-wicket stand of 171 from 99 balls between Adam Hose and  Dan Mousley. Hose blasted his maiden T20 century (119, 64 balls, nine fours, seven sixes) while 19-year-old Mousley struck a T20-best unbeaten 58 (44 balls, five fours, one six­). 

The Steelbacks reply hit trouble at 28 for three and 71 for six but Taylor, making his debut after moving across the east Midlands from Leicestershire Foxes, and White hit cleanly to see their side home with seven balls to spare. 

The Bears chose to bat but the Steelbacks quickly took control by taking two wickets in the third over and two more in the fourth. Taylor's first ball for Northants was lifted for six by Rob Yates but his second had the batsman caught at mid on. Will Rhodes was then bowled, first ball. 

Ben Sanderson followed up with two quickfire blows with successive balls as Bears linchpin Sam Hain was trapped lbw and Michael Burgess edged to Richard Levi at slip. 

That was 20 for four but Hose and Mousley rebuilt, first carefully and then with increasing aggression. Hose reached 50 from 37 balls and then galloped to his century in just another 17 balls to become the third Bears T20 century-maker alongside Brendon McCullum and Ian Bell. 

Mousley played the perfect supporting role, posting his maiden T20 half-century from 37 balls. 

Northants' reply suffered early damage as three wickets fell in the first 20 balls. Jake Lintott was involved in them all, taking smart catches to remove Richard Levi and Adam Rossington off Tim Bresnan and ousting Josh Cobb via a catch by Mousley at extra cover. Lintott swooped again, this time at mid on, to dismiss Procter to leave Bresnan with three for 16 from his first three overs. 

Paul Stirling's dangerous innings - 38, 23 balls, six four, one six - was ended by a gloved pull at Liam Norwell and when Saif Zaib became the fourth batsmen caught by Lintott, the Steelbacks were 71 for six. 

But Taylor and Rob Keogh (37, 24 balls) clubbed a stand of 69 in 34 balls to keep their side in contention and then White arrived to crown a stunning fightback with a blitz of boundaries to seal the Steelbacks' place in the last eight.  

For the Bears, meanwhile, there was heartbreak, not least for club legend Jeetan Patel whose great Warwickshire career, which brought so much joy and success, had concluded with a devastating defeat. 

Essex Eagles vs Sussex Sharks Vitality Blast 2020 The Cloudfm County Ground, Chelmsford

Sussex (137-6) beat Essex (136 - 9) by 4 wickets

Sussex booked their place in the quarter-finals of the Vitality Blast 20/20 competition when they beat last season’s winners by 6 wickets with just 10 balls to spare.

Replying to a modest Essex total of 136 for 9 they recovered from 59 for five to claim a victory inspired by a partnership of 73 in 10 overs between George Garton and Calum MacLeod.

Garton hit an unbeaten 34, and earlier claimed figures of 4 for 21 as Essex, apart from Paul Walter, struggled to make progress in the way they wanted.

Walter struck 76 with the help of nine fours and three sixes after arriving with his side 18 for three.

Essex got off to the worst possible start; losing two wickets in the opening over from George Garton without a run on the board. Cameron Delport was caught behind by Phil Salt while Feroze Kuushi was bowled trying to turn the ball to leg.

Varun Chopra lightened the Essex gloom by driving Oliver Robinson for six but in the same over was bowled to leave Essex 18 for 3 in the fourth over.

Worse was to follow when Mitchell Claydon joined the attack to breach the defences of Michael Pepper four runs later.

That left Simon Harmer and Paul Walter attempting to repair the damage but they found it difficult to make progress against bowlers who gave nothing away.

So much so that the halfway point of their innings arrived with only 47 on the board. A reverse sweep to the boundary off spinner Danny Briggs brought up the 50 and in the same over Walter unleashed a superb drive for six.

A couple of boundaries by Walter off former Essex paceman Tymal Mills improved fortunes for the home side before the introduction of David Wiese ended the partnership after it had yielded 43. 

Harmer was the man to depart as he skied a top edge which Salt accepted with ease.

Much now depended on Walter if Essex were to post any sort of challenge and he responded by punishing Briggs for six and a four as he moved towards his half-century.

This he reached with a leg glance to the fence but immediately afterwards he lost debutant Robin Das who was caught at square leg to provide Garton with success in the 16th over.

While Walter continued to impress with two more boundaries he was to lose Jack Plom with the total on 109 as he was bowled by Garton to provide the paceman with his fourth success.

Following the departure of Aron Nijjar, a victim of Claydon, Walter’s fine innings came to an end in the final over when he was bowled by Robinson for 76. This effort spanned 44 balls and included nine fours and three sixes.

Sussex did not embark upon their target in a blaze of glory. Luke Wright’s stumps were left in disarray by Plom with the total on nine and Delray Rawlins provided Ben Allison with his first wicket at senior level when he was caught by Shane Snater.

Snater then joined the attack to have former Essex star Ravi Bopara caught on the square leg boundary by Allison to spark a collapse and leave Sussex nerves jangling.

Salt, having struck seven fours and a six in his 22-ball 42 was caught in the deep by Harmer, who then made an impact with his off-spin by trapping David Wiese leg before to leave the visitors 59 for five. 

The total moved into the 70’s in the tenth over to leave Calum MacLeod and Garton to put the innings back on even keel.

Both were to collect boundaries at the expense of Harmer before the pair carried the total into three figures in the 15th over. 

The next landmark was the 50 stand, it arriving in the same number of deliveries and the sixth wicket pair continued to keep pace with the required run rate until MacLeod departed for 40, made from 39 balls, with the score on 132 in the 18th over. He was caught in the deep off Plom.

Garton then square cut Delport to the boundary in the next over to carry his score to 34 from 30 deliveries and take Sussex to victory.

Hampshire vs Middlesex Vitality Blast 2020 The Ageas Bowl, Southampton

Hampshire 141/9 beat Middlesex 121 by 20 runs

Shaheen Shah Afridi took four wickets in four balls as his five-wicket haul made sure Hampshire ended their horror Vitality Blast campaign with victory over Middlesex.

Pakistan fast bowler demolished John Simpson, Stephen Finn, Thilan Walallawita and Tim Murtagh’s stumps in consecutive deliveries to blow away the visitors.

Having returned a disappointing 1-191 in his first six outings, he celebrated an incredible 6-19 – Hampshire best ever T20 bowling figures, and the county’s second format treble in their history.

It meant Hampshire ended a six-game losing spell to win by 22 runs, although couldn’t prevent them from finishing bottom of the group stage for the first time since 2007.

Hampshire needed quick wickets in their defence of 141 for nine, and Felix Organ continued the trend of ‘spin it to win it’ as he opened the bowling with his off-spin and had 20-year-old Jack Davies lbw.

Off spinner Organ had Joe Cracknell caught at point by Joe Weatherley in his second over – the 21-year-old bowling three overs in the powerplay for 2-13.

Overseas Afridi claimed his maiden Ageas Bowl wicket for the county when he yorked Steve Eskinazi – who ended the group stage as the tournament’s second leading scorer with 413 runs.

Ryan Stevenson bowled Nathan Sowter with a slower ball before Mason Crane continued the spin domination when Tom Alsop stumped Martin Andersson.

Simpson threatened a comeback for the visitors as the run-rate climbed, he added 25 with Luke Hollman before Afridi turned the latter’s off stump into a javelin.

Wicketkeeper Simpson (48) helped take 17 off Stevenson in the 16th over, thanks to two huge sixes, as Middlesex required 37 from the last four overs.

But left-armer Afridi, who flies home tomorrow, took four wickets in four balls to provide an explosive end to a below-par season.

It was the second hat-trick taken by Hampshire this year, after James Fuller had taken a treble against Surrey in the Bob Willis Trophy.

Having chosen to bat, Hampshire ground through their innings, as partnerships struggled to flourish against an impressive spin performance on a slow pitch.

Middlesex’s spin triplets of Walallawita,  Hollman and Nathan Sowter took 8-74 in their 12 combined overs to restrict Hampshire.

James Vince chopped veteran Tim Murtagh onto his own off-stump, before Alsop and Sam Northeast laid a solid foundation with a 32-run stand.

But that was as good as the batting got for the hosts as Walallawita, Sowter and Hollman constricted them.

Alsop (25) was bowled while attempting a slog sweep off leg spinner Hollman and top scorer Northeast (31) nicked Walallawita behind to John Simpson.

Joe Weatherley split the leg side boundary riders with a perfect sweep, before he was plumb lbw when he switched into a reverse.

From 55 for one after eight overs, Hampshire found their recognised batsmen all dismissed by the end of the 17th over on 114 for seven.

The spinners forced the batters to play to the long square boundaries as an impatient James Fuller and Felix Organ holed out to long on, while Ian Holland – following a six down the ground – was leg before attempting a huge slog sweep.

The latter two scalps falling to Walallawita on his T20 debut, having impressed with his left-arm spin during the Bob Willis Trophy earlier this summer.

Stevenson found a hat-trick of boundaries off Tom Helm but leggie Sowter returned to bowl him and Chris Wood – as Hampshire bobbed to 141 for nine in their 20 overs.

Lancashire Lightning vs Leicestershire Foxes Vitality Blast 2020 Emirates Old Trafford, Manchester

Leicestershire Foxes, 154 for 5, beat Lancashire Lightning 132 for 5 by 22 runs

A captain’s performance with the ball by Leicestershire Foxes’ Colin Ackermann ensured that his side completed their Vitality Blast North Group games on a high note as they defeated Lancashire Lightning by 22 runs at Emirates Old Trafford.

Ackermann took three for 18, all his wickets being taken in the same over, as the home side managed only 132 for 5 in reply to the Foxes’ 154 for 5, an effort that had included valuable forties from both Nick Welch and Arron Lilley.     

The main features of Leicestershire’s six Powerplay overs were the two sixes pulled to the long boundary by Welch off Saqib Mahmood and the three tight overs bowled by Luke Wood, who conceded just five runs in that exceptional spell.

Wood also took the wicket of Gareth Delany in the opening exchanges when the dangerous Irish batsman gloved an attempted pull to wicket keeper Alex Davies but Welch hit further sixes off Liam Livingstone and Matthew Parkinson, both strokes sailing over long-on, before he was caught for 43 at deep midwicket, Josh Bohannon taking a steepling catch off Livingstone.

Lancashire’s three spinners kept the scoring rate in check for much of the remainder of the Foxes innings and the visitors were indebted to Lilley’s 41-ball 49 for making sure they posted a defendable total on a used pitch. Ackermann was run out by Davies’ direct hit for 29, although a much-needed further boost came when Leicestershire scored 18 runs off Saqib Mahmood’s last over of the innings, a nine-ball affair that included a wide, a no-ball and a free hit.

Four Lancashire bowlers took a wicket but Wood was not called upon to deliver his final over. Tom Hartley bowled impressively again, conceding only 18 runs from his three overs.

The home side’s innings began no more impressively than Leicestershire’s had. Liam Livingstone hit a couple of sixes off Callum Parkinson but was caught for 20 by Ackermann off Gavin Griffiths at mid-off to leave Lancashire on 38 for one at the end of the Powerplay.

Lightning had lost no more wickets but still needed 87 when the final ten overs of their innings began, a requirement which Davies and Steven Croft immediately sought to meet. Nevertheless steady accumulation was all the pair could manage and 52 runs were still required off the final six overs of the innings.

The 16th over transformed the game as Ackermann took three wickets. Croft was caught at deep backward square leg by Dieter Klein for 36 off the second ball, Davies was caught behind by Lewis Hill for a 48-ball 52 off the third and Bohannon was bowled for nought by the fifth.

Lancashire skipper Dane Vilas was caught at cover by Ackermann off Klein, also without scoring, off the second ball of the next over and Lancashire suddenly needed 40 off 18 balls. This proved far beyond the home side’s later batsmen and the match ended almost in anti-climax with the outcome never seriously in doubt.    

The start of Lancashire’s reply was delayed when the Emirates Old Trafford groundstaff used the heavy roller on the wicket between innings. This is contrary to the regulations governing these games and umpires Steve O’Shaughnessy and James Middlebrook had to inform the ECB before the game could continue. 



Notts Outlaws vs Durham Cricket Vitality Blast 2020 Trent Bridge, Nottingham

Notts Outlaws 150-7 defeated Durham 132 all out by 18 runs

A game-defining over from Imad Wasim ensured that Notts Outlaws defeated Durham in their Vitality Blast meeting at Trent Bridge to finish at the top of the North Group.

Wasim took two for 24 but also executed a couple of run outs as Durham fell short of a victory target of 151 to lose by 18 runs.

Notts scored 150 for seven after being asked to bat first, with Ben Duckett top-scoring with 29. Paul Coughlin and Liam Trevaskis each took two wickets for the visitors as the normally free-scoring home side were kept in check.

The result means that Notts finish the qualifying matches as the number one seed and will play Leicestershire Foxes at home in the quarter finals. Durham’s loss ended their slim hopes of advancing to the next stage and means their season is now over.

Durham had given themselves a shot at reaching the last eight by winning four matches in a row prior to arriving in Nottingham. Their prospects of extending that sequence were given a major boost when Alex Hales fell in the first over of the match, driving the spin of Trevaskis to Graham Clark at cover.

Chris Nash followed for 13 but Notts looked to be getting back on track as Joe Clarke picked off a succession of boundaries. The right-hander had scored a century in the reverse fixture at Chester-le-Street and also helped himself to a hundred in the recent Bob Willis Trophy match between the two sides.

Clarke hit Coughlin for four boundaries in the fifth over but then attempted another and drilled the ball straight at Clark.

Duckett and Tom Moores added 102 together at Leicester on Friday evening and began another rebuilding job in the middle order before being parted after a stand of 49 when Moores was caught behind.

His partner coughed up an easy catch off Trevaskis in the next over to leave the hosts on 92 for five. Durham felt they’d dismissed Dan Christian first ball, with Alex Lees claiming a catch that the umpires adjudged against.

Christian didn’t profit to a great extent, being bowled by Nathan Rimmington for 13. Wasim and Steven Mullaney gave the score a boost in the final overs with an unbroken stand of 31, which featured two sixes from Wasim in his 26 not out.

Durham’s pursuit of 151 began badly, with Clark picking out substitute fielder Peter Trego in the first over but the main damage was reserved for the fifth over.

The chase floundered as 36 for one became 37 for four. Ben Raine hit Wasim straight to Alex Hales at mid off, Lees was smartly stumped by Moores for 28 and then an horrific mix up led to the Pakistan international whipping off the bails to run out David Bedingham.

Brydon Carse made 24 before picking out Matt Carter, to give Mullaney his 100th wicket in this format.

Wasim then connected with a direct throw to find Scott Steel short of his ground and but for some late hitting from Trevaskis that was effectively that.

Trevaskis twice cleared the ropes in making 31 not out from 21 balls but he was left at the wrong end as Ball clean-bowled Rimmington to seal the win with five deliveries remaining and Durham on 132 all out.



Surrey CCC vs Kent Spitfires Vitality Blast 2020 The Kia Oval, London

Surrey 161/4 beat Kent Spitfires 159/8 by 6 wickets

 Surrey 2pts, Kent 0

Jason Roy returned to form with 72 and Laurie Evans hit a magnificent 45-ball 73 as Surrey clinched a Vitality Blast home quarter-final by beating Kent Spitfires by six wickets at the Kia Oval.

Knowing they could lose the game but still qualify as South Group winners by staying ahead of second-placed Kent on net run rate, Surrey captain Rory Burns chose to bowl first so that they would have two run targets when they chased Kent’s 159 for 8.

Their first task was to score 127, and thus guarantee a better net run rate than Kent, and a superb second wicket stand of 135 in 14 overs between Roy and Evans saw them cruise to that initial target in 14.3 overs.

Sam Billings earlier hit six fours in his 50 off 33 balls for Kent, who are also assured of a place in the knock-out stages, while Liam Plunkett was outstanding with the ball for Surrey on a slow, used surface as he took 3 for 19 from four skilful overs.

But the day belonged to Roy and Evans who, by the time their partnership reached three figures, were both batting majestically.

Roy, understandably given his recent battles with fitness and form, took a while to get going but a reverse slap for four off Fred Klaassen in the last over of the powerplay – plus further fours thrashed through the covers later in the same over – provided the England one-day opener with a surge of confidence that he then took into the rest of his innings.

Evans, much enjoying his return to Surrey after transferring from Sussex last month, was straight into his work after Joe Denly’s leg spin had lured Will Jacks into hitting straight to long off on 4 in the third over. All Kent’s bowlers were dispatched with apparent ease as he raced to his half-century in 34 balls – completing the fifty with a six swung over wide mid-wicket off Denly.

There were also massive sixes over extra cover off both Matt Milnes and Grant Stewart before Evans, who also struck nine fours, played on to his stumps with just 12 more runs needed for victory.

Stewart then had Burns caught behind next ball for 0 and Roy was bowled swinging at Milnes after facing 52 balls and hitting 11 fours besides a huge six into the new Peter May Stand construction site off left-arm spinner Imran Qayyum.

Jamie Smith and Rikki Clarke saw Surrey home with eight balls to spare, veteran all-rounder Clarke sealing a seventh successive win by thumping Stewart to the mid-wicket ropes.

Kent’s innings was once again launched in solid fashion by Zak Crawley and Daniel Bell-Drummond, who came into the game averaging 50 for their first wicket partnerships in this year’s competition and took 48 from the initial powerplay.

Ten runs came from Reece Topley’s opening over, with both batsmen striking lovely offside boundaries and Bell-Drummond provided further early impetus by taking fours off the first four balls of Matt Dunn’s second powerplay over – two over and through the cover ring, plus a superb straight drive and a more agricultural heave wide of long on.

When he had reached 37, however, from 27 balls, Bell-Drummond sliced the first ball of the eighth over to short third man as Moriarty broke the opening partnership at 56. Crawley then followed in the next over, deceived on 21 by Plunkett’s sixth ball and skying to cover.

Billings and Denly accelerated in high-class style, adding 62 in six overs for the third wicket as Denly hit both Moriarty and Clarke for sweetly-struck sixes and Billings – badly dropped by Evans at long off on 34 when he mishit a Jacks full toss – using his feet brilliantly to mix impish deflections with some powerful strokes on both sides of the wicket. 

But when Denly reached to edge a ball from Topley aimed wide of his off stump at the start of the 16th over to go for a 21-ball 29, keeper Smith pulling off an excellent diving low catch, the Kent innings lost its way. Just 32 runs came from the last five overs, with five more wickets going down as only Billings made any impression.

Alex Blake, on 1, lofted Plunkett to long off and Jack Leaning picked out deep cover off Dunn, who quickly followed up by also removing Heino Kuhn for a first-ball duck, leg-before to a well-disguised slower ball.

Billings skied Plunkett to cover in the penultimate over and Milnes was run out for 3 by Smith from the last ball as Stewart played and missed at the last three balls from Topley.


Gloucestershire vs Somerset CCC Vitality Blast 2020 The Bristol County Ground, Bristol

Gloucestershire 163-8 beat Somerset 161-7 by two wickets at the Bristol County Ground. 


Ian Cockbain played the starring role as Gloucestershire eliminated arch-rivals Somerset from the Vitality Blast with a thrilling two-wicket Central Group win at the Bristol County Ground. 

The visitors posted 161 for seven after winning the toss under cloudless skies, Lewis Gregory hitting 50 and Babar Azam 42. Tom Smith was the pick of the Gloucestershire bowlers with two for 25. 

In reply, Gloucestershire reached 163 for eight off the final ball of the match, Smith hitting a boundary off Ollie Sale. Cockbain had set up the victory with a brilliant 89 off 57 balls, including 9 fours and 3 sixes. 

The result meant a home quarter-final for the hosts, while Somerset were left to reflect on a bitterly disappointing campaign. 

They were given a brisk start to their innings by Babar and Steve Davies, who took the score to 53 by the end of the fifth over. 

Davies was timing the ball sweetly. But, having moved to 31 off 19 balls, he pulled a catch to deep mid-wicket off Josh Shaw. 

Gloucestershire then applied their customary mid-innings squeeze, taking pace off the ball with left-arm spinners Smith and Graeme van Buuren, well supported by the wily medium pace of Benny Howell. 

Somerset could score only 24 runs between the fifth and tenth overs, the last of which from Howell saw Will Smeed caught at mid-off. 

Smith removed Tom Abell to a catch at point in the 11th over and in his next claimed the big wicket of Babar, the Pakistan batsman giving a return catch, having faced 35 balls and hit 5 fours. 

Tom Lammonby reverse swept a catch to deep cover off van Buuren and Somerset were struggling at 105 for five. 

But Gregory supplied much-needed acceleration, hitting the first six of the innings in the 18th over and following up with another maximum over deep square off David Payne. 

The Somerset skipper also hit 4 fours in his 28-ball innings. But when he fell to the second ball of the final over, his team could add only two off the last four deliveries. 

Sale struck a major blow for the visitors by have Chris Dent caught at deep square off the final ball of the second over of Gloucestershire’s reply. 

Miles Hammond feathered a catch to wicketkeeper Davies off Josh Davey to make it 20 for two. That became 27 for three when James Bracey mishit a catch to mid-on to give Sale a second wicket. 

When Ryan Higgins holed out to deep mid-wicket off 19-year-old left-arm spinner Lewis Goldsworthy, it was 50 for four and much rested on Cockbain, who was looking in dangerously good form. 

The first six of the innings was struck by van Buuren off Goldsworthy in the 12th over, but he then fell to a catch at short third-man off Josh Davey. 

Cockbain moved to a classy 35-ball half-century, with 7 fours. He and Jack Taylor both hit straight sixes off Goldsworthy as the 15th over went for 19 runs. 

Taylor then drove a catch to long-off to give Gregory a wicket. Cockbain cleared the ropes again off Sale and Howell hit Gregory for a straight six to leave 24 required from two overs. 

Another Cockbain six off Davey made Gloucestershire favourites, but the batsman then cross-batted a catch to long-on.  

The last over, bowled by Sale, began with 13 runs needed. Two Howell boundaries followed, but there was another twist then he was caught at long-off.  

Three runs were still required when Smith faced the last ball, which he smote over wide long-on for four to loud cheers from Gloucestershire fans in the flats adjoining the ground. 


Worcestershire Rapids vs Glamorgan Vitality Blast 2020 Blackfinch New Road, Worcester

Worcestershire Rapids 190-3 lost to Glamorgan 196-4 by six wickets

Dan Douthwaite powered Glamorgan to a six wicket victory with a last over six hitting blitz against Worcestershire Rapids paceman Pat Brown in a Vitality Blast encounter at Blackfinch New Road.

Douthwaite smashed three of the opening four balls from the England T20I bowler over the ropes to see his side to their 191 victory target with two balls to spare.

His hitting upstaged a splendid century by Worcestershire Rapids opener Hamish Rutherford in the final game of his third spell with the county.

The New Zealand opener hit four sixes and 11 fours in making exactly 100 from 62 balls in a brilliant display of hitting.

It was the second T20 of his career and fell just short of his career best 106 for Otago against Central Districts at New Plymouth four years ago.

Rutherford received excellent support from Jake Libby in a dazzling second wicket partnership of 101 in nine overs as the Rapids totalled an impressive 190-3.

Glamorgan openers Nick Selman and David Lloyd gave their side a perfect platform in reply with a stand of 120 in 13 overs and then Douthwaite took centre stage.

Brown ended with figures of 2-62 from 3.4 overs – the most runs conceded by a Rapids player in T20 cricket.

The Rapids can reflect on a disappointing T20 campaign in direct contrast to their fine performances in the Bob Willis Trophy when they were edged out by Somerset for a final spot.

After winning the 2018 Blast and finishing runners-up last year, they have sorely missed the presence of Moeen Ali, Wayne Parnell and, in the early matches, Pat Brown – three key members of their attack.

Glamorgan finished bottom of their group in the BWT but fared better in the Blast and remained with a chance of qualifying as one of the third best placed teams until the finale of the competition.

They will welcome back prolific Australian batsman Marnus Labuschagne for the next two years after his memorable form in 2019.

Rapids captain Ed Barnard elected to bat on the same wicket for last weekend’s derby with Birmingham Bears.

Rutherford immediately set the tone of his innings and gave the Rapids a flying start with a six over long on off Andrew Salter and two sweeps for four in an over costing 16 runs.

He then smote Ruaidhri Smith over the mid wicket boundary and scored 26 of the first 28 runs.

Smith received the same treatment in his next over from Jack Haynes who had a let off when dropped at point off the next delivery on 10.

It was not a costly drop as he added only two more before being caught off a top edge at third man off Timm van der Gugten.

Rutherford went onto complete an excellent half century off 33 balls in an over costing 20 runs from Salter.

He hit the spinner for a straight six and the second of two fours in the same over took him to his second T20 fifty of the summer. It contained three sixes and six fours.

Jake Libby immediately got into his stride with two cuts to the ropes in an over from the returning Sisodiya as the Rapids 100 came up in 12th over.

He and Rutherford plundered the bowling to such an extent that their 100 stand was completed in just nine overs.

Libby had raced to 47 off 26 balls with one six and six fours when he holed out to deep mid wicket off van der Gugten.

Rutherford’s century came up with a cut for four off van der Gugten before he departed to a catch at deep point from the next delivery.

When Glamorgan launched their reply, openers David Lloyd and Nick Selman gave their side the ideal start in chasing such a daunting target.

Brown came in for rough treatment, conceding 34 runs in his opening two overs and being hit for 4-4-6-4-4 from successive deliveries by Selman.

He completed an excellent half century from 26 balls with two sixes and seven fours.

Glamorgan were well in command at the half-way stage when they stood on 98-0 and Lloyd reached his fifty off 34 deliveries with two sixes and five fours.

The stand was finally broken on 120 in the 13th over when Lloyd (56) picked out mid-wicket off Daryl Mitchell.

Brown returned to the attack and struck with successive balls as Andrew Balbirnie (23) and Kiran Carlson (0) were caught at deep mid wicket and mid off respectively.

Selman – 78 off 53 balls - sliced Morris to mid off in the penultimate over but Douthwaite was up to the challenge of scoring 13 off the final over.

He hit the first two balls from Brown over the ropes and, after a dot ball, clubbed the fourth one over long on.


Derbyshire Falcons vs Yorkshire Vikings Vitality Blast 2020 Emerald Headingley, Leeds

©Cricket World 2020