< >
CricketWorld.com, Latest Cricket News & Results

Vitality Blast 2021: All the Match Scores, Results, Reports and Scorecards for Friday, July 16th

Vitality Blast
Vitality Blast
©Cricket World / John Mallett

Vitality Blast 2021: All the Match Scores, Results, Reports and Scorecards for Friday, July 16th

Live Scores and Stats - Vitality Blast 2021


 Friday, July 16, 2021  

Hampshire v Essex Eagles (Ageas Bowl – afternoon match)

Hampshire kept alive their flickering hopes of reaching the Vitality Blast quarter-finals beating Essex by 18 runs to wrap up a third successive victory in the first match of a double-header at the Ageas Bowl.

Essex looked on course to chase down the 172-run target after England batsman Dan Lawrence and Tom Westley put on 80 for the second wicket, only for Hampshire's bowlers to claw back control as the Eagles lost their nine wickets for just 68 runs to be bowled out for 153.

Hampshire started the match well after winning the toss, with James Vince, fresh from his fine century for England against Pakistan, continuing from where he left off at Edgbaston with a superb 63 that included eight boundaries and a six.

VInce and D'Arcy Short put on 69 after eight overs, laying the foundations for a potentially huge target.

However, the Eagles fought back well  when Aron Nijjar dismissed Short and Liam Dawson inside three balls to slow down the home side's progress..
Vince continued to score freely and put on a 56 with Colin de Grandhomme before the Hampshire skipper mistimed  a big shot over mid-off off spinner Simon Harmer and caught in the deep by Jimmy Neesham.

De Grandhomme fell for 34 when the veteran Ryan ten Doeschate took a sharp catch off Sam Cook's bowling in the 16th over as the Hawks'.hopes of passing the 180-mark took a huge dent.

The outstanding Harmer and Nijjar continued to slow down the scoring with wickets falling regularly as Joe Weatherley, Chris Wood and James Fuller all exited cheaply.

Lewis McManus thumped two huge sixes in the final two overs to help his side to a decent total despite the Hawks losing two wickets in the final over to Cook..

Wood struck in the first over of the Essex innings, dismissing former Hampshire wicket-keeper Adam Wheater for a second-ball duck,before Lawrence and Westley steadied the ship.

But Westley, who reached 39 almost effortlessly, was then deceived by the flight of a Mason Crane ball and McManus whipped off his bails for a smart stumping.

Dawson and Short continued the good work by the spinners with the wickets of the dangerous Jimmy Neesham and Michael Pepper for single-figure scores.

Crane struck again when he dismissed ten Doeschate for nine after he holed out to James Fuller after 15 runs had been scored from the first five balls of the leg-spinner's over.

But Essex's hopes of victory dissipated when Lawrence departed for 60 after he gloved Scott Currie to McManus, who claimed his third victim.
With 31 needed from the last two overs, Essex fell well short with Brad Wheal taking two wickets in as many balls to dismiss Essex with four deliveries to spare.

Essex skipper Simon Harmer after Essex' hopes of progressing in the Vitality Blast were ended -  "We put ourselves into a very strong position but couldn't see it through which is very disappointing. We only have ourselves to blame.

"I think it has been a disappointing competition for us from start to finish. 

"There were glimmers of hope there for us but I think as a whole, we haven't been good enough. Our skills haven't been good enough."


 Gloucestershire v Surrey (Cheltenham)

Jamie Smith and Laurie Evans kept Surrey’s Vitality Blast campaign alive as they beat Gloucestershire by seven wickets on the final day of the Cheltenham Festival.

Surrey faced a must-win game at the College, their final fixture, and knocked off a chase of 178 with 10 balls to spare.

Smith set things up with 60 from 47 balls and Evans took his side to the verge of victory with 58 from 36.

Gloucestershire will get another chance to seal a quarter-final spot in their final game at Taunton on Sunday but they will need to raise themselves with defeat here coming two days after their Championship hopes were ended.

Having been sent in, the home side only played in fits and starts. A more measured start than previous matches saw them to 68 for 1 in the eight over but then then lost three wickets in 18 balls.

Glenn Phillips’ 48 from 26 balls picked the innings up but 177 proved well short.

Phillips hit Batty over long-on and pulled Rikki Clarke over midwicket. He slog-swept Will Jacks and then whacked him over long-on. But when set for serious damage, hit a low full toss to long-on.

Benny Howell made 30 from 21 balls but fell in a fine spell from Gareth Batty, who took two for 21.

Jacks opened the chase with a flick off Dan Worrall for six over deep square and a swing over long-off as Ryan Higgins conceded 19 from the fifth over but he skewed Josh Shaw to deep cover to fall for 24 in 14 balls.

Jamie Smith drove his namesake Tom over extra-cover and swept him for four more and at the halfway stage Surrey were on course at 88 for one.

Laurie Evans cleverly paddle-swept Howell for his first boundary before slog-sweeping him for six. He then struck Worrall over long-on to effectively end the contest.

Despite defeat, the final day of the Festival was throughly enjoyed by the home supporters on a glorious day. And goodness did they need to drink it in. Their next chance to see the first XI may be the penultimate day of August, if not later.

With The Hundred bombed in to dominate high summer, locals have just four days cricket to enjoy for the next six weeks, with just one on a weekend.

Birmingham Bears v Worcestershire Rapids (Edgbaston)

Birmingham Bears kept alive their hopes of Vitality Blast qualification with a 17-run victory over arch-rivals Worcestershire Rapids at Edgbaston. 

Victory would have secured the Rapids a quarter-final place but they now have work still do to, against Leicestershire Foxes at Leicester on Sunday. The Bears, meanwhile, must beat Northamptonshire Steelbacks at home and hope that other results go their way. 

After choosing to bat, the Bears made 169 for five thanks to Sam Hain's classy unbeaten 83 from 53 balls (eight fours, two sixes). Bizarrely overlooked by England's selectors recently, Hain batted beautifully in an unbroken sixth-wicket stand of 106 in 67 balls with Carlos Brathwaite (52 not out, 38 balls, two fours, three sixes). 

The Rapids reply fell short at 152 for six. Jake Libby top-scored with 36 from 34 balls, but the pursuit  never properly escaped the shackles imposed by the spin of Danny Briggs (4-0-18-2). 

The loss of early wickets has been a recurring problem for the Bears through the group stage and it recurred again as they lost both openers in the first eight balls when Ben Dwarshuis and Dillon Pennington shattered the stumps of Ed Pollock and Adam Hose respectively. 

Pennington struck again in his second over when Will Rhodes chopped to short third man. Kyle Mayers, making his debut, lifted Ed Barnard for six but perished trying to repeat the shot when he found only long on.  

When Rob Yates chipped a return catch to Brett D'Oliveira it was 63 for five but Hain and Brathwaite counter-attacked with verve and 40 from a furious assault in the last two overs gave their bowlers something to work with. 

The Rapids then also lost both openers cheaply as D'Oliveira was bowled by Briggs and Jack Haynes lifted the spinner to deep mid-wicket. 

Daryl Mitchell (29, 21 balls) and Libby rebuilt shrewdly with a stand of 53 in 39 balls before both perished trying to up the run-rate. Mitchell pulled Craig Miles to Hose on the rope and Miles was then the catcher when Libby heaved Rhodes to leg.  

Ben Cox reverse-swept Jake Lintott to short third man and Ed Barnard's dangerous cameo ended when Miles plucked out his middle stump.  A target of 29 from the last two overs proved well beyond the Pears after the first of those overs, from Brathwaite, cost just six. 

Bears captain Will Rhodes said: 

"It was a brilliant innings from Hainy, He is arguably the best white-ball player in the country at the minute and we are very lucky to have him. That innings was typical of him at his best. His forte is when is in those situations when the game is on the line and he just drags it back so skilfully. 

"It was a great effort from Carlos too. To come back into the side and light up Edgbaston with his batting was just a stunning spectacle and then he bowled beautifully as well. We brought him in to win us games of cricket and he certainly did that tonight and has given us a chance of qualifying for the quarter-finals." 


Rapids captain Ben Cox said: 

"We can’t dwell on it. We needed one win from the last two games and it’s going to have to go down to the wire on the last day. 

“I thought we were unlucky tonight. We were in the game until the 16th over and then they started getting hold of us which can happen. On that wicket, which was a bit tricky, because they had to rebuild, those boys (Sam Hain and Carlos Brathwaite) got to spend time at the crease and they were in at the death which was crucial. 

“They knew the conditions, the areas they could hit to, whereas all of us lads, we gave ourselves the deliveries to get in, and every time we tried to push things on, we got caught out. If one of those goes either side of the fielders, we are on our way. It’s small margins and unfortunately they didn’t go our way today." 

 Lancashire Lightning v Durham (Emirates Old Trafford)

Finn Allen’s explosive 66 set Lancashire up for a thrilling six-run Vitality Blast win over Durham at Emirates Old Trafford which keeps them on track for the quarter-finals.

The New Zealand opener dominated as the Lightning raced to 75 without loss in six overs. He reached 50 off 21 balls in 199 for five, also including 56 for Alex Davies. 

Durham, now out of contention with this defeat, raced to 78 without loss after six overs in reply as David Bedingham made 50 off 24.

Later, Sean Dickson’s 53 off 33 took the target to 15 off the last over, which Danny Lamb defended as the visitors finished on 193 for five. A Lancashire home win over Yorkshire in their final North Group fixture tomorrow will secure qualification.

Allen crashed eight fours and three sixes in 28 balls. His 21-ball fifty was one slower than Jos Buttler’s Lightning record.

Bedingham later followed suit to give Durham hope of securing their record chase. But he was one of two wickets in the ninth over for left-arm spinner Tom Hartley as they fell to 96 for three.

Powerful Allen, 22, was strong ‘in the v’ as he shared 101 in 8.1 overs with Jennings after Lightning captain Dane Vilas had won the toss.

Jennings - with 43 - and Davies provided excellent support to give Lancashire a stronghold at the halfway mark.

Scott Borthwick was the pick Durham’s bowlers with two for 30 with his leg-spin. He had Allen caught at long-off to break the opening stand and Jennings caught at short fine-leg sweeping.

Durham raced out of the blocks in reply, bettering Lancashire in the power play by three runs at 78 without loss.

South African Bedingham, like Allen earlier, was strong down the ground. Graham Clark played the support role in their 88-run opening stand and made 37.

But momentum swung back towards the Lightning in the space of two overs.

Clark found long-on off Steven Croft’s off-spin in the eighth before Hartley had Bedingham caught at short third-man off a miscue in the ninth, shortly followed by Cameron Bancroft’s wicket - 96 for three.

Dickson kept the game very much alive. By the time he had reached 40, Durham were 158 for four after 17, needing 38 more.

He holed out off Luke Wood at the end of the 19th over, leaving Brydon Carse and Ben Raine with a task that was just too tall.

Lancashire’s Alex Davies said: 

“When we bat first at Old Trafford and get a score on the board like that, we’re confident. 

“Our openers came off and said that 200 was a good score. It definitely got harder to score the more the innings went on, as you saw with them. 

“With 200 on the board at Old Trafford, we’d back ourselves to beat anyone.

“I’ve mentioned a couple of times before that when we’ve done well in this competition, we’ve often just scraped through the group stages with a couple of late wins. That momentum is crucial. We thrive off this.”


Durham’s David Bedingham said: 

“The wicket was really good. We said that the first 12 overs of our innings would be very important because we felt the last eight overs of theirs was tough to strike it.

“We had a game plan of trying to whack it in the first 10 or so, and it came off.

“Unfortunately, we just missed out by six runs. It was disappointing.

“We’ve been in three or four nail-biting games, and we’ve lost all of them. That’s how it goes. Hopefully next year we can win those.”

 Middlesex v Kent Spitfires (Lord's)

Elliot Hooper enjoyed a dream debut as Kent routed Middlesex for their lowest ever Vitality Blast score of 80 at Lord’s.

Thee 25-year-old left-armer, one of seven debutants for the visitors because of a Covid-19 outbreak, took 3-24 in the 77-run victory – the hosts failing to reach their previous worst tally of 92 made against Surrey at Lord’s eight years ago.

Fellow new boys Matthew Quinn, Safyaan Sharif and Marcus O’Riordan were also among the wickets, all this after Harry Finch top scored with 47 and Heino Kuhn made 42 in Kent’s total of 157-8, Blake Cullen taking 4-33.

Another of the Kent new boys George Munsey swept the second ball of the match from Mujeeb Ur Rahman for six but departed later in the first over.

Kuhn was then dropped at point by Joe Cracknell from Tom Helm’s first ball and he and skipper Zak Crawley set about the host’s attack.

Crawley hit three sixes as 50 came up in the sixth over, but attempting a fourth he was brilliantly caught by Max Holden at deep square – the first of Cullen’s four victims.

Kuhn and Harry Finch continued the onslaught helped by a succession of mis-fields, adding 65 in 43 balls, meaning the visitors were sitting pretty at 118-2 early in the 13th over.

However, Kuhn holing  out in the deep off the excellent Sowter sparked a turning point as runs dried up and wickets tumbled.

Finch tried to hold things together making hitting six fours, in his 35-ball stay but just 40 runs came from the last eight overs

Chasing 158 for a rare win the hosts simply fell to pieces. Sam Robson was yorked by Quinn and when the dangerous Joe Cracknell pulled Podmore straight into the hands of deep square they were 16-2.

And it 20-3 when New Zealand international Daryl Mitchell was trapped lbw by  Sharif, who returned two for 10.

By this stage Middlesex needed snookers. But there was to be no revival.

Hooper trapped Middlesex debutant Varun Chopra in front before Podmore (2-12) returned to have John Simpson caught at short mid-on.

Holden was caught on the fence to give O’Riordan his first Blast wicket and the procession continued as Hooper scattered Sowter’s stumps.

Helm. Hooper’s other victim and Mujeeb were the only players other than Chopra to reach double figures as the hosts were bowled out with 21 balls to spare.

Middlesex head coach Stuart Law said: "It went wrong from the outset. Our fielding was substandard, some of our bowling was indifferent and when you drop catches, especially good players they do punish you.

"We did pretty well to drag it back towards the back end of the innings by taking some wickets and stopping them scoring, but when we batted we looked as if we just wanted to survive rather than score the runs.

"Losing a game is losing a game, but it is how you lose and we lost horrendously tonight and that's down to us, we played poorly. 

"Give Kent credit too. They had a lot of people in their team that weren't on their books three weeks ago, but they got an opportunity and they grabbed it and ran with it. They showed more heart, more desire and more passion."


Kent spinner Elliot Hooper said: "The last week has been manic with getting the call to run drinks at the County Championship match and then today to be told I was going to make my debut at Lord's for Kent - it's a dream come true.

"The new lads have blended together really nicely and it's great to help out the boys who are in isolation and get them the home quarter-final they deserve.

"For everyone else missing out it is really tough, but for me it's an opportunity and when that presents itself, taking it and doing well is the best you can do. 

"It's great because I'm getting on a bit now, but as a spinner the older I get the more I'm learning my craft. I feel if I'd been a bit less experienced coming in today  I would have just bowled quick, quick, quick into the wicket, whereas at 25 I was able to back myself a little  more and chill out." 

Glamorgan v Somerset (Sophia Gardens)

Somerset sealed a place in the Vitality Blast quarter-finals as they hammered Glamorgan by 74 runs at Sophia Gardens. 

New Zealand run machine Devon Conway batted Somerset’s full 20 overs for an unbeaten 70 from 52 balls as Glamorgan’s bowlers struggled at both ends of the innings.

In between, Roman Walker impressed with figures of three for 15 from his four overs but Glamorgan’s batsman were nowhere near as good as they were bowled out for just 107 with First Minister of Wales Mark Drakeford watching on. 

Somerset – who were without England pair Lewis Gregory and Tom Banton – won the toss and unsurprisingly chose to bat on a stunning evening in the Welsh capital.

Conway struck two leg-side boundaries from Andrew Salter’s first over, but Glamorgan’s poor bowling gave their opponents a flying start. Dan Douthwaite’s first over went for 16 and included a ball which went for five wides. Two more wides and a six struck by Steve Davies followed.

Timm van der Gugten did dismiss Davies, caught behind by Chris Cooke for 22, but it was a rare good delivery as Glamorgan strayed on to leg stump far too frequently.

Somerset were 55 for one after six overs and 84 for two at the halfway stage, but Walker dragged Glamorgan back into it with the wickets of Will Smeed and veteran James Hildreth.
Lewis Goldsworthy smashed Marnus Labuschagne for six down the ground, but Walker showed him how it should be done with his third wicket of a superb spell.

Conway watched the wickets fall at the other end until Tom Lammonby joined him and smashed Van der Gugten for four, four and six from the first three balls of the 17th over.

Conway went past 50 and then joined in the fun by hitting the struggling Douthwaite for six although the Glamorgan seamer did dismiss Lammonby for 34 thanks to a smart Salter catch.

Kiran Carlson smashed Jack Leach for six on the second ball of Glamorgan’s response but was caught and bowled by the England spinner on the fourth.

Colin Ingram s carted a six over midwicket but he too went caught and bowled, this time at the hands of Craig Overton for 19. Glamorgan were 36 for two after the first powerplay.

David Lloyd hit Goldsworthy’s first ball to Overton at cover and it left Labuschagne and Billy Root needing 122 from the final 10 overs. Glamorgan didn’t get close.

Labuschagne pulled Marchant de Lange to the mid-wicket boundary where Roelof van der Merwe took a stunning catch and from there the Welsh side folded like a pack of cards.

Somerset’s spinners were far too good with Goldsworthy finishing with three for 14 and Van der Merwe three for 20.  

Leicestershire Foxes v Notts Outlaws (Upton steel County Ground)

Nottinghamshire Outlaws, already assured of a home quarter-final, suffered only a second defeat of the season in the Vitality Blast as bottom-of-the-table Leicestershire Foxes won by two wickets with two balls to spare.

Josh Inglis and Arron Lilley were joint top-scorers with 42 and though the Foxes suffered some jitters after needing 35 from 25 balls and six off the last over, Naveen-ul-Haq hit back-to-back fours off former Leicestershire fast bowler Zak Chappell to get them over line after Steven Mullaney had taken three for 33 and Calvin Harrison two for 21.

The Foxes had dismissed Nottinghamshire for 173 in 19.2 overs, Naveen picking up three for 33 and Colin Ackermann three for 35. Joe Clarke hit 57 in 27 balls and Ben Duckett 45 off 27 but the Outlaws lost their last six wickets for 22 runs, Lilley holding four outfield catches.

Ackermann claimed an early blow for the Foxes after winning the toss when Alex Hales hit a full toss straight to deep midwicket but Clarke launched Gavin Griffiths for back-to-back sixes and Naveen for three consecutive fours as the Outlaws ended the Powerplay on 62 for one.

Clarke struck two more sixes off Ben Mike as he reached fifty from 24 balls and cleared long-on for a fifth six as Ackermann returned, only to follow Hales in finding Lilley at deep midwicket.  Three fours in a row by Duckett off Ackermann advanced the total to 110 for two at halfway.

Lilley then applied the brakes with the ball, conceding only 20 in his four overs of off-spin and dismissing Mullaney as the Outlaws innings fell apart. The demise of Duckett, leg before sweeping, sparked the loss of their last six wickets for 22 in 23 deliveries, Naveen taking three wickets in seven balls.

The Foxes lost Rishi Patel early but with Inglis hitting sixes off Dane Paterson, Chappell and Matt Carter and Lilley another off Samit Patel the home side were ahead of what was needed at 75 for one after six.

Inglis and Lilley fell in turn to Harrison, both perhaps guilty of taking liberties with the young leg-spinner, Inglis hitting straight to long-on, Lilley comfortably stumped, yet at 107 for three after 10 overs the game was there to be won.

Scares followed for the home crowds as Harry Swindells was caught behind off a bottom edge, Ackermann sliced to short third man, Lewis Hill ramped straight to short fine leg, Louis Kimber was caught at midwicket and Callum Parkinson at cover but Naveen picked up four off the edge before pulling Chappell for the winning boundary.

Leicestershire’s Naveen-ul-Haq, who took three for 33 and hit the winning runs, said:

“I was sitting in the dressing room at 15 overs when we needed a run a ball to win and thinking it was a walk in the park and suddenly two wickets fell and I needed to get my pads on.

“But I felt confident going out and though my first boundary was lucky because it spun and caught the edge of my bat, the second was a good one.

“I’m happy to have contributed to a team that is like a family for all of us and happy that we came out winners today. It is a shame we couldn’t qualify for the knock-out stages but hopefully we can finish the season on a high against Worcestershire on Sunday.”

Hampshire v Sussex Sharks (Ageas Bowl – evening match)

A James Vince-inspired Hampshire chased down an imposing total of 184 to beat Sussex Sharks and seal a memorable Vitality Blast double at the Ageas Bowl.

Vince, who hit a maiden ODI century for England last week against Pakistan, scored 102 from 59 balls, after earlier scoring 62 to help his side beat Essex.

In the first match of the double header in Southampton, the Hawks beat the Eagles by 18 runs, before beating second-placed Sussex's powerful line-up, led by Luke Wright and Ravi Bopara who led the way to an imposing score of 183-6.

But Vince and Short put on 51 inside the power play and continued to take the Sharks bowlers to task, reaching 100-0 after 10 overs with the Hawks skipper looking in glorious touch.

Will Beer finally broke the 120-run partnership when he bowled D'Arcy Short for 35 then dismissed Tom Prest for six as Hampshire found themselves 138-2 with six overs remaining.

Vince was simply disdainful at times, smashing Delray Rawlins for successive sixes and then hitting Rashid Khan over the rope in the very next over on his way to reaching three figures from 56 balls..

Colin de Grandhomme looked in good touch scoring 12, but a mix-up with Vince saw the New Zealand all-rounder run out by Bopara.

Vince finally fell 14 balls from the close when he hit his own wicket following an Ollie Robinson delivery.

But despite the loss of their skipper, Lewis McManus and Joe Weatherley guided their side over the line with four balls to spare to chalk up a fourth successive victory and kept alive Hampshire's flickering quarter-final hopes.

The Hawks, who also fielded second against the Eagles, were asked to do so again by Sharks skipper Wright after he won the toss. 

The former England all-rounder then steadied the ship for his side following the early dismissal of in-form opener Phil Salt to Liam Dawson from the second ball of the match.

Wright put on 102 for the second wicket with Bopara before finally being removed for 54 when Vince held on to a towering catch from a Scott Currie slower ball.

Bopara continued to target the Hampshire bowlers, along with Bermudan-born big-hitter Rawlins, who belted two sixes and a four from 11 balls before being deceived by Dawson and chipped straight to Vince at mid-on to reduce Sussex to 134-3.

Bopara showed scant respect to the off-breaks of D'Arcy Short, belting 17 off four balls before holing out to Prest for 62.

David Weiss fell to D'Arcy Short which was then followed by a late cameo of 26 from Rahsid from just 13 deliveries.


James Vince - "It's been a great day, we knew we had to win both games to keep our chances alive and the boys were outstanding across the park.

We still need a few things to go our way and when you get in this position you look back and think 'if only we'd won some of the other games' but that is in the past now. 

"You don't often have weeks like this, but it has been a great one. I can't put my finger on why that is, perhaps it is confidence being part of it. I am just running with the form and I hope it continues."





© Cricket World 2021