< >
CricketWorld.com, Latest Cricket News & Results

Vitality Blast T20 2022: All Matches May 27th - Latest News, Scores and Match Reports

Hampshire's James Vince
Hampshire's James Vince

Here is all the latest news, scores and match report updates from the Vitality Blast T20 May 27th 2022.





Vitality Blast T20 Friday May 27th 


Surrey vs Glamorgan, South Group Kennington Oval, London - 6:30 PM

 Ollie Pope scored 62 from 46 balls as Surrey began their Vitality Blast campaign in thrilling style by beating Glamorgan by four wickets with one ball to spare in front of a 16,000 crowd at the Kia Oval.

Pope was joined by Sam Curran in a fourth wicket stand of 62 and Surrey got home at 174 for six despite a late flurry of wickets as Michael Hogan almost pulled the game out of the hat for Glamorgan, who had earlier totalled 173 for five.

England Test batsman Pope paced his knock superbly and, with the win all but assured, completed his fifty with two outrageous reverse flipped fours to fine third man off Dan Douthwaite’s fast medium, before flat-batting another four through mid off from the next ball.

Pope hit eight fours but when he and Jordan Clark, who thumped a useful 17, both skied catches in an extraordinary penultimate over from Hogan that also cost only one run it suddenly looked possible for Surrey to mess up. Hogan’s 5 for 18 was a Glamorgan T20 record against Surrey.

But Jamie Overton and Chris Jordan, now captaining Surrey in T20 cricket on his return from Sussex, held their nerve. With eight required from Michael Neser’s final over, Overton pulled and drove twos from the first and fifth balls, Jordan also sprinted back for a second run in between two singles and Surrey were home.

Sam Northeast’s 65 from 51 balls had anchored Glamorgan’s innings, and he hit Reece Topley for successive sixes in a 19th over costing 24 runs. Those were Northeast’s last two scoring shots, as he miscued the next ball to long on where Jason Roy ran in and tumbled forward to take the catch.

But it was Chris Cooke who provided the real impetus in his belligerent 27-ball 46 in the second half of the innings, with West Indian mystery spinner Sunil Narine the stand-out bowler with one for 17 from his four overs on his Surrey debut.

Surrey lost openers Jason Roy, for 15, and Will Jacks, for 6, in the third over of their reply. Roy skied Hogan to cover in his first county appearance of the season and when Jacks also fell miscuing Surrey were 23 for two.

But Laurie Evans, badly dropped on four at mid wicket by David Lloyd off Neser, played some powerful shots in his 23 and when he was caught off Douthwaite in the ninth over the Surrey chase had already gathered momentum.

Curran hit left arm spinner Prem Sisodya for a straight six, a pulled four and then a sweetly swung six over mid wicket from consecutive balls in the 13th over and when he skied Hogan to deep square leg to go for 36 it was left to Clark to help Pope steer Surrey close to the winning line.

Glamorgan, put in, reached 67 for two at the halfway stage of their innings, with Northeast and Marnus Labuschagne doing their best to accelerate the scoring against some excellent bowling from Surrey’s strong and varied attack.

Northeast took successive lofted fours off Topley’s second over with the new ball, first down the ground and then whipped towards wide long on, but Lloyd went for three in the fourth over – hitting Dan Worrall’s first ball straight to deep cover on the ropes.

Labuschagne’s 20 ended at the start of the seventh over when he uppercut Overton’s first ball to third man, where Topley judged the catch well.

And Topley, at short fine leg, then produced a brilliant leaping effort to remove Kiran Carlson for nine as he tried to paddle-sweep the impressive Narine in the 12th over.

Northeast had earlier unveiled an extraordinary tennis-style pull-hook for four in Overton’s second over and the same bowler conceded 20 when he returned for the 14th over of the innings and Chris Cooke slashed and swung him for two big sixes.

Cooke and Northeast added 63 for the fourth wicket, before Cooke top-edged a hook at Curran to long leg in the 18th over. Douthwaite pulled his first ball, from Topley, for six and both he and Joe Cooke, who slashed Jordan away through the vacant slip area for two fours in the final over, finished on 10 not out.


Lancashire vs Yorkshire, North Group Emirates Old Trafford, Manchester - 6:30 PM

Lancashire and Yorkshire played out a thrilling Vitality Blast tie as Richard Gleeson trapped Harry Brook lbw with one run needed for an away win at Emirates Old Trafford. 

Yorkshire, chasing 184 to win a first Blast Roses game away from home since 2014, looked on course after Brook (72) and Tom Kohler-Cadmore (67) shared 115 for the fourth wicket. 

But fast bowler Gleeson trapped in-form Brook, who had posted his 10th fifty in 11 innings in all cricket this season, lbw playing to leg to send the 14,000 crowd wild. 

Gleeson had been defending 13 off the last over and sealed a third tie in Roses T20 history. 

Lancashire’s competitive 183 for seven was underpinned by Phil Salt’s 59 off 41 after they had elected to bat. 

Azeem Rafiq, the former Yorkshire spinner who recently brought allegations of discrimination against his home county, was in attendance.

Kohler-Cadmore was playing only his second game of the summer having suffered concussion whilst playing in the Pakistan Super League in February.

Lancashire got off to a flyer, led by England’s Salt, who pulled seamer Matthew Revis over deep backward square-leg for his first of two sixes as 58 came in the first six overs of powerplay.

That six came in the fourth over, in which Revis also made the breakthrough by getting Keaton Jennings caught at mid-on (44 for one).

Yorkshire, for whom Adil Rashid was excellent with one for 29 from four overs, dragged things back as the halfway stage approached, though the Lightning remained in control at 81 for two after 10. Rashid had Steven Croft caught at long-off.

That wicket brought powerhouse Liam Livingstone, only just back from the IPL, to the crease.

Just before Salt reached his fifty off 33 balls, his England team-mate launched Revis over long-on and out of the ground.

Unfortunately for most of the crowd, Livingstone’s stay was only brief as - for 23 off 16 balls - he holed out to long-on off Jordan Thompson as the score fell to 118 for three in the 14th.

At stages, it looked like the Vikings would do well to keep the Lightning below 200. And they did.

Salt was run out at the non-striker’s end as Tim David tried to pinch two to midwicket - 128 for four in the 16th.

Overseas debutant David, with a similar reputation as Livingstone for destruction, hit three leg-side sixes in 35 off 18 balls. But he holed out to hand Thompson a second wicket, a haul matched by Haris Rauf.

Adam Lyth (21) hit the first two balls of the chase, from Livingstone, for four, but Dawid Malan was caught behind pulling at Luke Wood as the score fell to 14 for one in the second.

Lyth continued his eye-catching start by hoisting Wood for six over long-on later in the over, only to be bowled by the left-arm pacer as the score fell to 42 for two in the fifth.

And when Joe Root (three) pulled Matt Parkinson’s third ball to Wood at deep square in the seventh, Yorkshire were in a spot of bother at 56 for three.

They reached the halfway at 79 for three, needing 104 more to win.

Brook had already pulled a full toss from Tom Hartley over wide long-on for six and hit Danny Lamb straight for another as Yorkshire got back on track at 100 for three in the 12th over.

The 23-year-old briefly overtook Kohler-Cadmore in the forties, only for a pulled six off Hartley to see the latter reach a 38-ball fifty - by which time Yorkshire were 128 for three at the start of the 16th. Brook reached his latest fifty off 33 balls an over later.

The Vikings needed 36 off three overs and 22 off two. But that was when things changed. 

Danny Lamb bowled a smart penultimate over, including Kohler-Cadmore run out, and conceded nine.

The last over mayhem then included a Shadab Khan boundary and a waist high full toss no ball. But Gleeson held his nerve.

Gloucestershire vs Sussex, South Group County Ground, Bristol - 6:30 PM

 James Bracey registered a career-best score as Gloucestershire beat Sussex by 41 runs beneath the Seat Unique Stadium floodlights to give their Vitality Blast campaign lift-off in Bristol.

Without a win in any of their previous seven matches in all formats this season, Gloucestershire were indebted to their England international, who raised 70 from 45 balls to help the home side reach 193-7 after being put in.

Steve Finn was outstanding with the ball for Sharks, returning figures of 2-15 from four overs, but Ryan Higgins made 39 not out from 22 balls and Glenn Phillips contributed a useful 27 as Gloucestershire found acceleration following a sluggish start to their innings.

Mohammad Rizwan top-scored with 58, while Luke Wright and Josh Philippe contributed 25 and 35 respectively as Sussex remained in the hunt. But the chase became derailed after Rizwan fell in the 16th over, seven wickets then falling for the addition of 24 runs in 4.4 overs as the visitors lost their way.

David Payne took 3-22 from four overs to put the skids under Sussex, with Paul van Meekeren and Naseem Shah weighing in with a brace of wickets apiece as Gloucestershire ultimately won with something to spare.

England Test hopeful Bracey defied any attempt to typecast him as pre-eminently a red-ball cricketer, eclipsing the 64 he made in a winning cause against Hampshire on this ground three years earlier, his highest previous T20 score. Charged with the task of repairing the damage following the early demise of Miles Hammond and Ian Cockbain, the Bristolian adopted the anchor role to perfection, staging a restorative stand of 74 with overseas hired hand Phillips for the third wicket as Gloucestershire recovered from 21-2.

If the hosts failed to live up to expectations during a powerplay that yielded just 39 runs, they made up for lost time as Bracey went to 50 from 34 balls and New Zealand international Phillips, following a tentative start, helped himself to a brace of fours and sixes in a forthright knock of 27 from 22 deliveries.

Phillips fell to wily Sharks captain Ravi Bopara, held by Finn at long-on in the 12th over, after which Bracey went on the attack, staging a whirlwind alliance of 32 in 17 balls with Higgins for the fourth wicket. Bracey had garnered 9 fours and a six when he departed in the 15th over, carting Delray Rawlins to long-on with the score on 127.

That Gloucestershire were able to add a further 66 runs from the final five overs was due, in large part, to Higgins, who allied clever improvisation with brutish power to plunder a quartet of sixes and stage a stand of 32 for the fifth wicket in 2.5 overs with Jack Taylor, who matched him blow for blow before hoisting the returning Finn to deep mid-wicket and departing for 21. Of the 10 balls he faced, Gloucestershire's captain dispatched three of them for six.

Benny Howell provided late impetus, smashing a Henry Crocombe no ball for six and then smiting the resultant free hit over long-off to effectively plunder 14 runs from one delivery in the penultimate over. Higgins ensured a final flourish, raising a further two maximums at the expense of George Garton, who was unable to keep a lid on things in the final over.

Former England paceman Finn was by far the most effective of the Sharks' bowlers, sending down three parsimonious overs with the new ball and then returning at the death to remove the dangerous Taylor and finish with impressive figures of 2-15. 

Wright and Rizwan afforded the Sussex reply solid foundations in an opening stand of 52 in 5.5 overs as the visitors looked to atone for the seven-wicket defeat meted out by Glamorgan in Hove just 24 hours earlier. Gloucestershire's bowlers held their nerve and David Payne effected a breakthrough when bowling Wright for 25 shortly before the end of the powerplay. 

Thereafter, Rizwan found a willing ally in Philippe, the second wicket pair finding the gaps and running hard to advance the score to 88-1 at the halfway point. If Rizwan was prepared to force the issue, Western Australian Philippe proved a perfect foil, working the ball both sides of the wicket and demonstrating a variety of shots to keep the scoreboard moving.

Fresh from posting 81 not out against Glamorgan and in fine fettle, Rizwan moved effortlessly to 50 from 34 balls as the second wicket pairing went from strength to strength, Gloucestershire deploying seven different bowlers in a fruitless attempt to prize them apart.

Yet Gloucestershire were still able to exert pressure, tight overs in the middle of the innings from Naseem Shah and Howell precluding the departure of Rizwan, caught at the wicket in the act of cutting van Meekeren. Although Sharks' overseas stars had added 76 in 9.2 overs, they still required a further 66 from 4.9 overs, and the odds probably favoured Gloucestershire for the first time when Philippe hit Payne to Higgins on the deep square leg boundary and fell for 35 in the 17th over.

With two new batsmen at the crease, Sussex's task was now a stiff one, and Gloucestershire's bowlers turned the screw to spark mass panic in the middle and lower orders, five batsmen coming and going without achieving double figures as the visitors imploded.



Nottinghamshire vs Worcestershire, North Group Trent Bridge, Nottingham - 6:30 PM

 A half-century from Joe Clarke and 47 by Tom Moores saw Notts Outlaws launch their Vitality Blast campaign with a tight four-wicket win over Worcestershire Rapids at Trent Bridge.

Seamer Luke Fletcher took a career-best five for 33 as the Rapids were restricted to 164 for nine in their 20 overs, before Clarke hit 52 from 34 balls and Moores clubbed three sixes in his 31-ball assault before Calvin Harrison hit the winning boundary with just two balls to spare.

New Zealand big hitter Colin Munro, who spent the 2014 and 2015 seasons at New Road, began his third Blast campaign with the Rapids with 66 off 43 balls - his highest score in their colours.

Otherwise, it had looked like a below-par display by the visitors after being asked to bat first, with Ben Cox’s 20 the next highest score, but with two wickets each from Brett D’Oliveira and Yorkshire loanee Matthew Waite the finish was closer than anticipated.

Fletcher’s five-wicket haul came after his first three balls of the night had gone for four, six and six at the hands of Ed Pollock. Former England pace bowler Jake Ball, in his first match since last July after recovering from a stress fracture in the back, took two for 24 and skipper Dan Christian two for 22.

Worcestershire had 56 runs on the board from their power play but lost a third wicket to the last delivery when a slow bouncer from Jake Ball deceived Jack Haynes, who shaped to cut and succeeded only in nicking a catch to ‘keeper Moores. It meant that a dropped catch in the same over, when Haynes was put down at deep point, had cost only one run.

The other casualties were Ed Pollock, who attacked Fletcher in characteristic style with four-six-six as the Outlaws stalwart struggled to get his length right, only to hit a low full toss straight into the hands of Alex Hales at mid-on. D’Oliveira was caught behind off Dan Christian in an attempted scoop.

Rapids were 86 for three at halfway. Munro pulled six and cut for four off consecutive balls of Calvin Harrison’s leg spin and after Jake Libby skied Christian to mid-off a lot seemed to rest on the shoulders of the Kiwi.

A big chance went begging when Moores missed a good stumping chance off Matt Carter when Munro was on 66, but in the event the error cost nothing as Munro top edged a slow bouncer from Fletcher and was well caught at short third man, having hit seven fours and two sixes.

Cox pinged a six over midwicket in the same over but fell two balls later attempting the same shot as the innings ended badly for the Rapids, who lost five wickets in the last four overs while adding only 28 runs, with Fletcher picking up two more in the final over.

After the Outlaws lost Alex Hales cheaply, Ben Duckett cleared the legside boundary twice in his 29 from 14 balls but after nonchalantly lofting the second of those sixes was caught at square leg attempting a repeat, rather throwing away the chance of a big score.

At 66-2 from the powerplay, Notts were ahead, although they lost Samit Patel for four and Clarke too might feel he should have had more, going after D’Oliveira’s leg spin with fewer than 50 required in the 13th over and paying the price.

A bad drop by Jack Haynes at long on off D’Oliveira let Moores escape on 28 and though Moores and Steven Mullaney holed out off Matthew Waite in the penultimate over as the home side threatened to wobble at the deathm Harrison found the boundary off Charlie Morris to see them home.

Northamptonshire vs Durham, North Group County Ground, Northampton - 6:30 PM

Chris Lynn put Durham to the sword with a display of brutal power hitting as Northamptonshire racked up an imposing 223 for four which proved too much for Durham

In his first Vitality Blast home game for the Steelbacks, Lynn took an instant liking to Wantage Road blasting 83 from just 46 balls. He dispatched three deliveries high over deep midwicket into Wellingborough Road, while another new ball was needed when he hit Liam Trevaskis onto the roof of the Turner Stand.

Thrilling a large crowd in bright sunshine, the Australian peppered the boundary boards all around the ground, displaying deft strokeplay and excellent placement. In total he struck the Durham attack for eight sixes and four boundaries.

Durham started brightly, easily outscoring Northamptonshire in the powerplay with Graham Clark clubbing a brisk half-century. But when Clark fell and Australian international Ashton Turner had to leave the field injured, Durham lost wickets at regular intervals as the chase proved too high.

Lynn shared a partnership of 149 for the first wicket with Ben Curran who also kept up the pace with 71 from just 43 balls. Particularly strong on the sweep, Curran struck 12 boundaries and a maximum as the pair put on 59 in the power play and went on to post a commanding stand of 149 for the first wicket in 13 overs.

Durham’s woes continued when Ben Raine was taken off mid over for bowling three balls over shoulder height and was unable to bowl again in the innings.

Turner raised their hopes when he picked up Curran and Saif Zaib with consecutive deliveries but that was only a brief respite as Lynn continued the carnage. He fell finally attempting a pull shot off Coughlin. Trevaskis took a well-held diving catch running in from the boundary behind square off Coughlin.

Rob Keogh picked up where Lynn had left off, hitting Coughlin for consecutive sixes over deep midwicket on his way to an unbeaten 36 from just 21 balls.

As Durham began their chase, Clark started in aggressive mode, hitting Matthew Kelly down the ground for six before hitting another over deep midwicket off Tom Taylor.

Michael Jones also went on the offensive, targeting Ben Sanderson’s first over, hitting a six high over long-off, swinging over square leg for another maximum, before finishing with two boundaries down the ground.

At 60 without loss after four overs, Durham were well in control, but the north east side suffered a setback when Jones fell to an excellent diving catch by Zaib off Kelly for 26.

Turner hit his countryman Kelly over midwicket for six and had moved onto 21 from just seven deliveries when he dived to ground his bat and suffered a suspected shoulder injury. He left the field to be assessed by the Durham medical staff.

Durham looked comfortable though at 85 for one after the powerplay. Clark hit a six off Graeme White and brought up his half-century off just 24 balls, but soon after was caught behind by Lewis McManus off leg-spinner Freddie Heldreich.

The visitors were in further disarray in the next over when Coughlin was bowled by White to leave Durham stuttering on 117 for three.

David Bedingham tried to up the pace, hitting a huge maximum over the scoreboard at square leg. He had a stroke of luck when two miss-hits fell short of the fielders off Taylor, but was caught off a reverse sweep in Heldreich’s next over for 31.

Heldreich had two wickets in two balls when Ned Eckersley drilled one straight to Josh Cobb in the ring to leave Durham five down still needing another 74 to win.

With the pressure mounting, wickets continued to fall with Keogh taking a stunning one-handed grab in the deep to remove Raine. With Turner unable to resume his innings, Durham’s innings ended on 192-9 from 18.2 overs, handing the Steelbacks victory by 31 runs.

Hampshire vs Middlesex, South Group Ageas Bowl, Southampton - 7:00 PM

Luke Hollman’s wickets and Toby Roland-Jones’ miserly bowling sent Middlesex to two wins from two in the Vitality Blast – with a 10-run victory over Hampshire Hawks.

Leg spinner Hollman claimed three for 34 – including two in an over – while fast bowler Roland-Jones returned two for 19 and defended 14 off the final over.

Max Holden, John Simpson and career-best maker Jake Davies all scored in the 40s as Middlesex defended 163 with relative ease and handed them their first T20 win at the Ageas Bowl since 2016.

Hampshire chose to bowl first, and Brad Wheal bookended his first over with wickets of a Hobartian flavour. Big Bash team-mates Nathan Ellis and wicketkeeper Ben McDermott snaffled catches to see off Steve Eskinazi and Joe Cracknell.

Chris Wood, on his return from his third career ACL operation, thought he had struck with the first ball of the innings, with a failed caught behind shout. The left-armer succeeded in his second over when he beat Martin Andersson for pace and kissed the top of his off stump. Wood returned miserly figures of one for 20, with a maiden included.

Having been dumped down to 14 for three, Holden and Davies steadied the ship and milked the middle overs with a 77-run stand. Holden may have pinged a six over Liam Dawson’s head, but the partnership was borne out of singles around the expansive outfield.

Davies had come into the side for the rotated Eoin Morgan, having previously scored a total of 48 runs in four T20s – here he scored 47 with six predominantly legside boundaries.

Holden and Davies both fell in their 40s but John Simpson clubbed Wheal for two sixes on his way to 41 and guided Middlesex to a competitive 163.

In the chase, McDermott threatened to explode after a four, six, four combo off Blake Cullen before some added bounce and a leading-edge saw his demise, with opening partner Aneurin Donald holing out to deep square four balls later.

From 41 without loss, Hampshire dive-bombed to 58 for four when Hollman’s spin grabbed the double-bubble of Joe Weatherley and Liam Dawson in the ninth over.

Like McDermott, Ross Whiteley fell some might blows on his Hampshire debut but took one adventure too far to plink Hollman to deep extra cover.

Vince had trickled and scratched along under the radar during 48 and 34-run stands with Whiteley and James Fuller – and appeared to be on course to get his side over the line.

But was caught at long on to the last ball of the penultimate over for 47 and Roland-Jones only conceded three runs off the final six balls to go back-to-back - with the bonus wicket of Wood to round off a solid display.

Derbyshire vs Warwickshire, North Group County Ground, Derby - 7:00 PM

Birmingham Bears survived a late Derbyshire Falcons surge to win a thrilling Vitality Blast North Group game at Derby by three runs.

The Bears looked on course for a convincing win when Adam Hose scored 55 from 31 balls and Chris Benjamin an unbeaten 43 from 18 including five sixes as the fifth wicket pair plundered 98 from 42 balls.

The Bears smashed 89 off the last five overs to reach 200 for the second night running but the Falcons fought back and came close to pulling off what would have been their biggest T20 run chase.

Brooke Guest’s 54 from 34 balls almost swung the game in a dramatic finale but Craig Miles kept his nerve as the Falcons finished on 197 for 8.

The Bears demolished Northamptonshire the previous night so it looked ominous for the Falcons when Paul Stirling took five boundaries from the first two overs.

The Irishman pulled Sam Conners deep into the crowd in the fourth but when he tried to repeat the shot off the next ball, he holed out to deep midwicket.

Alex Davies ramped George Scrimshaw for 6 to take the Bears to 54 for 1 at the end of the powerplay but Jacob Bethell’s attempt to drive the fast bowler over the top landed in the hands of mid off.

Scrimshaw used the short ball well to stem the run flow and when Sam Hain was stumped stepping out to drive Mark Watt and Davies was caught behind cutting at Mattie McKiernan, the Bears had slipped to 89 for 4.

After McKiernan finished his spell, the Falcons looked like restricting the Bears to around 160 but Hose and Benjamin cut loose in the last five overs.

Watt went for 24 in the 16th and after Hose drove Kerr for six to reach 50 off 28 balls, Benjamin smashed him for two more maximums with another 24 coming from the 19th.

Hose pulled Conners to deep midwicket but that ushered in Carlos Brathwaite for a brutal cameo that included a pull drive which soared over long on and out of the ground.

It left Derbyshire needing to pull off an unlikely chase and their chances were dented when Shan Masood drove Danny Briggs to mid off in the third over.

Leus du Plooy and Wayne Madsen gave the Falcons hope but when they fell in consecutive overs, the game looked up.

The Falcons required an improbable 112 off 10 overs.but McKiernan and Guest raised the hopes of the home supporters by adding 48 from 26 balls with Brathwaite conceding 21 off the 16th over.

Henry Brookes added to the drama when he was taken off for two head high full tosses in the 18th over but Brathwaite responded with a superb over to leave the Falcons needing 18 off six balls.

Guest cut Miles to the point boundary and then drove him for six before a no ball shifted the odds again but after he picked out Bethell at deep midwicket, Miles recovered impressively to see the Bears over the line.

Kent vs Essex, South Group St Lawrence Ground, Canterbury  - 7:00 PM

Paul Walter top-scored with an unbeaten 47 as the visitors closed on 188 for six in reply to Kent’s 184 for four, hitting the winning runs with two balls remaining.

Will Buttleman was the Eagles’ next highest scorer with 37, while Fred Klaassen took two for 35 and was the only bowler to take more than one wicket in the match.

Sam Billings was Kent’s top scorer with 48 not out, while Zak Crawley made 40. Matt Critchley had Essex’s best bowling figures with one for 16.

Kent won the toss in what was billed as “The Battle of The Bridge” and chose to bat, making one change from the side which lost to Somerset on Wednesday night, Matt Quinn coming in place of Grant Stewart.

Zak Crawley was on just two when he was dropped by Matt Critchley at the start of the second over and Kent raced to 60 without loss at the end of the powerplay.

Daniel Bell-Drummond produced a succession of elegant cuts but he was bowled by Aron Nijjar for 31 and when Crawley was then lbw to Simon Harmer for 40 the scoring rate slowed.

Joe Denly was the third top order batter to get out after making a start, when he swiped Daniel Sams for six but he hit the next delivery almost vertically and was caught and bowled for 35.

Jack Leaning made just two when he hit Harmer to Critchley, but the 17th over, bowled by Harman, went for 19 and some violent hitting by George Linde saw him finish on 23 not out from 11 balls.

It looked a competitive total, but Essex took 17 from Denly’s opening over and Adam Rossington blasted 29 from 16 balls, until Fred Klaassen made a mess of his stumps.

The visitors were 66 for one at the end of the powerplay, but lost Michael Pepper for six when he spooned Linde to Klaassen at point.

Buttleman then pulled Qais Ahmad to Crawley and Matt Milnes ripped out Critchley’s middle stump after a quickfire 18.

Sams was reprieved after an excruciating drop by Quinn when he was on one, but he added just two more to his score when he floated Klaassen to Leaning and the run rate climbed above ten for the first time.

With the noose tightening, Essex took 17 from the 16th over and 13 from the 17th, tilting the equation back in their favour.

Tom Westley was brilliantly run out for 15 by Billings at the start of the 18th, the skipper throwing down the stumps as he chased a single, but Harmer then struck successive fours off Quinn to leave the Eagles needing six from the final over. Harmer, who finished on 21 not out from 11 balls, took five from the first three balls, leaving Walter to smear Milnes for four to clinch the win.


©Cricket World 2022