< >
CricketWorld.com, Latest Cricket News & Results

Vitality Blast T20 2022: All Matches Tuesday June 21st - Latest News, Scores and Match Reports

Vitality Blast T20 2022
Vitality Blast T20 2022
©Cricket World / John Mallett

Here is all the latest news, scores and match report updates from the Vitality Blast T20 2022: All Matches Tuesday June 21st


Vitality Blast T20 2022: All Matches Tuesday June 21st


Surrey vs Somerset, South Group Kia Oval, London 6:30 PM

Tailender Conor McKerr drove the last ball of the match through extra cover for four as Surrey beat Somerset by three wickets in a thriller at the Kia Oval, after Peter Siddle had previously taken three wickets in a highly dramatic and remarkable final over.

It took Surrey to 145 for 7, overtaking Somerset’s 144 for 8 and maintaining their unbeaten record in the Vitality Blast’s South Group. Surrey have now won nine of their ten group games so far, with the other match rain-affected and finishing as a no result.

Chris Jordan’s team were already guaranteed a quarter-final place, before this game began, but perhaps Somerset should have won this one after former Australia paceman Siddle had struck with the second, fourth and fifth balls of that final over, which began with Surrey needing only nine and with Jordan and opener Will Jacks going well.

They had rallied Surrey from 106 for 4 in the 16th over, with 15 runs being plundered from the penultimate over as Jacks pulled Jack Brooks for six and Jordan cut the last ball, a yorker just wide of off stump, for four to backward point.

But, after Jacks had taken a single from the first ball of Siddle’s final over, to go to 66 not out from 58 balls with two sixes and five fours, the 23-year old could only watch with mounting horror from the non-striker’s end as Jordan skied a catch to Tom Lammonby running in from deep mid wicket to exit for 14.

Nico Reifer, a 21-year old making his T20 debut, clipped his first ball to long leg for four but was then yorked by a beauty from Siddle. Gus Atkinson, swinging when he should have been tapping and running, was also bowled by a full ball and Siddle was looking for a hat-trick as well as a match-winning delivery when he ran in to McKerr.

But the big fast bowler, making his first Surrey appearance of the season, anticipated another full ball and hit it powerfully to the boundary. It was tough on Somerset, who had fought hard on a slow, used surface, but they are now five points behind Surrey in second place in the South Group table

Missing six players on England duty, and nursing the news that their West Indian overseas star Kieron Pollard is out for the rest of the season with a knee injury, Surrey also lost Jordan Clark three balls into his second over with a side injury.

But they still remain unbeaten in all cricket this summer despite a ragged chase in which Jacks’s quality and calm approach stood out as Jamie Smith (13), Sunil Narine (13), Rory Burns (11) and Laurie Evans (12) all got out after getting starts.

Somerset captain Lewis Gregory took 3 for 25, after Roelof van der Merwe had bowled Smith in the eighth over after an opening stand of 49.

Earlier, Lewis Goldsworthy had taken four fours from the last two overs of Somerset’s innings, ending on 27 not out from 19 balls and adding 41 in just over four overs after a slump to 103 for 8.

Put in, Somerset lost wickets in each of the first two overs as Will Smeed (1) hoicked left-arm spinner Dan Moriarty to deep mid wicket and Rilee Roussouw, making room as he aimed over extra cover, was bowled by Clark for 6.

Banton and Tom Abell led a decent recovery, Somerset reaching 51 for 2 by the end of the six-over powerplay, but Abell’s 13 ended with a catch to deep square leg off Atkinson and Banton’s dismissal in the ninth over led to a difficult middle part of the innings for the visitors.

With six fours, including some eye-catching sweeps, reverse sweeps and clever flicks, Banton looked set to go on to a sizeable score but, attempting another scooped stroke against the pacy McKerr, he succeeded only in giving a simple catch to Atkinson at long leg.

Lammonby tried to counter-attack, immediately top-edging a pull at McKerr for six and then flipping a four to fine leg, but Narine’s miserly and mystery spin was introduced for the tenth over and the Trinidadian went on to bowl his four overs for just 18 runs – with Lammonby run out for 21 in his second over, the 12th, when keeper Smith threw down the stumps from short cover after Gregory sent his partner back.

Gregory was well held for 7 by Cameron Steel, the substitute fielder, off Atkinson and Ben Green, flummoxed by Jordan in the runless 15th over, skied the fifth ball to mid on as he desperately tried to break the shackles and Somerset had edged only from 83 for 4 at halfway to 103 for 7 by the end of that over.  

And the scoreboard quickly read 103 for 8 when Van der Merwe, swinging wildly, was bowled for 3 by a McKerr near-yorker, leaving Goldsworthy to shepherd Somerset at least to some sort of defendable total.


Glamorgan vs Middlesex, South Group Sophia Gardens, Cardiff 6:30 PM

Glamorgan wrapped up a crushing win against Middlesex in the Vitality Blast inside 15 overs as David Lloyd and Sam Northeast put on a record-breaking opening stand of 150, the highest for any wicket for the county in T20 cricket.   

Middlesex batted first and a stop-start innings started and finished strongly with a steady half-century from Max Holden and late order hitting from Martin Andersson help them set 171 for seven. 

This looked to be a total that was defendable despite a small boundary on the pavilion side of the ground, but Lloyd and Northeast chased it down with complete ease. 

Lloyd made 67 and Northeast 89 as Glamorgan won by eight wickets with 35 balls to spare.

Having been put into bat it was a strong start from Middlesex who got to 44 without loss at the end of the PowerPlay overs. The one wicket to fall was that of Stephen Eskinazi who chipped a ball from Michael Hogan to Dan Douthwaite on the edge of the fielding circle. 

A sprightly stand of 66 between Joe Cracknell and Max Holden set a solid foundation on which to build on. It was Cracknell’s wicket that ended the partnership when he was bowled by the left arm darts of Prem Sisodiya.

A quick fire 15 from John Simpson took Middlesex past the 100 mark but when both he and Jack Davies fell on the same score some rebuilding was needed. The wicket of Davies was particularly needless, having hit the ball straight to Colin Ingram at mid off he took off for a single that wasn’t there to be run out for a three-ball duck.

Holden and Luke Hollman looked to power through to the death overs and both were looking well set before they fell from successive balls when the score was on 141 to leave Middlesex with two batters yet to face ball.

Hollman was dismissed for 19 by a full toss from Hogan that looked to be very close to being over waist height for 19. Holden fell for 58 to the first ball of the next over, helping the ball into the hands of Sisodiya at fine leg off the bowling of Dan Douthwaite.

It was Martin Andersson who gave Middlesex a score that gave them some hope of victory, smashing 17 from just five balls to take his team to 171 for seven at the close of their innings.

The Glamorgan innings got off to a flying start as they took the Middlesex bowlers apart in the opening overs. Glamorgan had reached 84 for none at the end of the first six overs as no Middlesex bowler could find a way to control the free-scoring efforts of Lloyd and Northeast.

Both batters passed the fifty mark from just 23 balls and by the time Lloyd was dismissed my Hollman the required rate was under three an over.

Northeast couldn’t quite see his side home, falling for the highest score he has made for Glamorgan in any format when he cut a ball to backward point off Jason Behrendorff. 

Colin Ingram and Kiran Carlson knocked off the few remaining runs needed to give Glamorgan their fourth win of this Blast campaign. 

Nottinghamshire vs Leicestershire, North Group Trent Bridge, Nottingham 6:30 PM

 A fifth defeat in their last six matches left Notts Outlaws’ hopes of reaching the Vitality Blast quarter-finals looking at best remote after Leicestershire Foxes avenged their heavy home defeat against their East Midlands rivals three weeks ago with a 47-run victory.

Alex Hales made 55 off 43 balls after being dropped on 19 but no other batter made more than 12 in a dismal effort by the home side after the Foxes had posted 170 from their 20 overs.

Samit Patel reached the milestone of 300 wickets in this format but his achievement was no more than a footnote as a disciplined performance earned the Foxes a third straight win to keep their qualification hopes alive.

Naveen ul-Haq finished with four for 24 despite suffering a painful wrist injury in his second over, with Ben Mike the all-round man of the match with two for 26 after hitting a 12-ball 29 to help his side set a competitive total.

After opting to bat first, the Foxes posted 46 in the powerplay after Nick Welch had opened the scoring with a six over deep midwicket off Luke Fletcher. Welch and Harry Swindells both departed, Welch skiing Carter to mid-off, Swindells sweeping into the hands of backward square leg.

Arron Lilley and Lewis Hill added 45 from 32 balls but, after muscling Samit Patel over the midwicket boundary fox six, Lilley managed to slap an ugly full toss from the veteran all-rounder straight to deep cover, where Calvin Harrison’s diving catch afforded Patel his 300th wicket.

The Foxes struggled to develop anyl momentum as the Outlaws’ slower bowlers found some grip in the surface through the middle overs. Hill pulled Harrison round the corner for six but could not progress beyond 39 in the 12th over, chipping a return catch to Steven Mullaney, who had seen Colin Ackermann dropped on two in his first over but bowled him in his third.

The Foxes lost a wicket in each of the last five overs, including two run-outs. Wiaan Mulder’s 27 from 19 balls ended when he found the fielder at long-on off a low Dane Paterson full toss but Ben Mike hit three sixes in plundering 29 off 12 balls to give him and his fellow bowlers more to defend than looked likely at 142 for eight after 18.

The Outlaws were narrowly ahead after their powerplay at 47 for one after Joe Clarke had been bowled aiming an ugly slog at Callum Parkinson but the Hales drop by Welch at point off Mulder would have preyed on minds when the dangerous opener lofted Ben Mike  for a towering maximum.

The teenage leg-spinner Rehan Ahmed claimed his 15th wicket of the campaign as Ben Duckett was bowled behind his legs sweeping and when Tom Moores hit straight to long-off to give Parkinson his second wicket, the required rate was up to 10 an over with 10 overs remaining.

With the Leicestershire bowlers now turning the screw, the Outlaws lost two more wickets when Mullaney holed out off Ahmed and Dan Christian miscuing to mid-off, that had crept up to 15 when Hales ended a frustrating seven overs without a boundary by hoisting Mike over the straight boundary, going past fifty in the process.

But in trying to clear the rope again off the next ball he succeeded only in finding Mulder on the wide long-on boundary and that turned out to be the decisive moment, the last five wickets falling for 26 runs, three of them to Naveen in his last two overs, Mulder finishing with four outfield catches when Paterson holed out as last man to fall with two balls to spare.

Derbyshire vs Northamptonshire, North Group County Ground, Derby 7:00 PM

Brilliant batting from Wayne Madsen and Shan Masood kept Derbyshire Falcons on course for the Vitality Blast quarter-finals with a six wicket victory over Northamptonshire Steelbacks at Derby.

The pair smashed 95 from 50 balls to take the Falcons to a fifth straight victory for the first time in T20 cricket as they chased down a 187 target with six balls to spare.

Masood scored 57 from 43 balls and Madsen a destructive 73 with 10 fours and two sixes from only 37 balls as the Falcons cruised home on 192 for 4.

Saif Zaib scored a T20 career-best 92 from 58 balls to take the Steelbacks to 186 for 7 but it was not enough as the Falcons moved to one point of North Group leaders Lancashire Lightning who they play on Friday.

Zaib revived the Steelbacks after two of their key batters fell in the first four overs of the powerplay.

Chris Lynn skied a swing at Sam Conners and Madsen held a steepling catch at cover before Hayden Kerr removed Josh Cobb.

The Steelbacks skipper drove and pulled Conners for four consecutive fours but then lost his off stump making room to cut Kerr.

That followed Ben Curran’s miscued clip at Mark Watts into the hands of mid on and at the end of six overs, the Steelbacks were 58 for 3.

Rob Keogh was caught off a George Scrimshaw no ball but after hitting the free hit to the boundary, top edged a pull to third man. 

Jimmy Neesham drove Conners over long off for the first six of the innings in the 10th over and Zaib added a second when he cut Scrimshaw over wide third man in the 12th.

Zaib mixed improvisation with placement to reach 50 off 36 balls but the introduction of Matt McKiernanan in the 15th over removed the dangerous Neesham who was stumped charging the leg spinner.

The Steelbacks plundered 22 from the 17th over when Zaib swept and drove McKiernan for two sixes but Scrimshaw and Watt conceded only10 off the next two.

Zaib pulled Kerr for his fourth six before he was run out but Lewis McManus drove the last ball for six to take his side to a competitive total.

The Falcons lost Luis Reece in the first over when he chipped a return catch to Cobb but Kerr pulled Tom Taylor for six and repeated the shot against Ben Sanderson as 16 came from the last over of the powerplay.

Kerr swung the first ball from Freddie Heidreich into the hands of deep midwicket but Masood took two boundaries from the wrist spinner’s next over to keep the Falcons on track.

Madsen drove and pulled Neesham for two fours to leave the Falcons needing 97 off the last 10 overs and he reverse swept Graeme White for six as 14 came from the 11th over.

The Steelbacks were struggling to contain the pair with Masood steering Sanderson to the third man boundary on his way to a 36 ball 50.

Cobb returned but Madsen ramped him for two fours as the Falcons accelerated towards their target with 46 coming from three overs.

A reverse swept six took Madsen to a 24 ball 50 and although Masood holed out to long on, only 36 were needed off the last five overs.

Madsen was caught behind off Neesham in the 19th over but the game was over as a contest and Leus du Plooy finished in style with a big six over deep midwicket.

Kent vs Gloucestershire, South Group St Lawrence Ground, Canterbury 7:00 PM

Gloucestershire remain on course for the Vitality Blast quarter-finals after a tense five-run win over the Kent Spitfires at Canterbury. 

Ian Cockbain hit 64 from 46 balls and Glenn Phillips 62 as Gloucestershire posted 195 for four, a total that was just beyond beyond the reigning champions.  

Mohammad Amir was the pick of the visiting bowlers with two for 30, while Ryan Higgins held his nerve at the death to limit Jack Leaning to 13 from the final six balls.   

Leaning finished unbeaten on 37 but was unable to hit the required 19 from the final over as Kent finished on 190 for five. Alex Blake hit 36 to pass 2000 Blast runs for the Spitfires and Jordan Cox made 32, but the hosts remain bottom of the South Division. 

Kent won the toss and chose to bowl, handing a Blast debut to 19-year-old Jas Singh, but it was Leaning who opened the bowling and he struck in the first over to remove Miles Hammond for four, after Tawanda Muyeye took a steepling catch. 

Chris Dent and Cockbain took Gloucestershire to 49 for one after the Powerplay and although Qais Ahmad’s next over went for just three, Singh’s first over went for 26, effectively hitting him out of the attack. 

Dent holed out to Qais in the next over and was caught at long on by Alex Blakefor 40, but it did little to arrest the visitors’ momentum. Cockbain smashed Qais back over his head for four to pass 50, before finally falling when he hit Matt Milnes to Blake at long off. 

When Matt Quinn went off injured after five balls of the 18th over, he was replaced by Joe Denly, who immediately bowled Jack Taylor for 12. 

Phillips was dropped by Blake at the start of the 19th and he cut hit Milnes’ next delivery, a full toss, for six to reach his half-century. 

In a measure of how dismal Kent’s title defence has been, when Grant Stewart’s final over only went for six, home fans were relieved the visitors hadn’t passed 200. 

Kent kept up with the run rate for the first three overs of the chase, but when Josh Shaw came on from the Pavilion End Tawanda Muyeye was caught by the inrushing Ryan Higgins for 11. 

With the required rate already edging above 12, Denly was caught by a diving Shaw off Tom Smith for 31 in the tenth over and Smith then returned the favour in the 12th with a juggling boundary to remove Cox off Shaw’s bowling, although replays suggested his foot was on the rope when he initially threw the ball in the air. 

Sam Billings reinjected some belief with two sixes off Phillips at the start of the 14th but he was out for 26 when he hit Amir down Taylor’s throat. 

Blake and Leaning just about kept the hosts in contention. The 17th over went for 15 and the 18th 13, but Amir, who signed for the Spitfires in 2021 but never actually played, had Blake caught on the boundary in the 19th.  

Grant Stewart would have been out to the next ball after Miles Hammond took a deflected catch, but the umpire signalled a no-ball, leaving Ryan Higgins to defend 19 off the final over. The first two balls, to Leaning, were dots, the third went for four and the fourth for two. 

Leaning hit the fifth for six, meaning a maximum off the final ball would have given Kent a tie, but he could only manage a single. 



© Cricket World 2022